Does KHAN ACADEMY work? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
googleme

New

Does KHAN ACADEMY work?

Post by googleme » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 am

Hi all,

I'm planning to take LSAT on Jan 26th, and starting to prepare for the exam using Khan Academy. I haven't tried other prep material yet so not sure whether KA should be the only source I rely on. Would be great to get a second opinion. Anyone?

jaymo8

New

Re: Does KHAN ACADEMY work?

Post by jaymo8 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 pm

I started out using Khan Academy and I stopped using it after a couple of weeks. The practice problems come from a limited set of questions and I started repeating questions pretty quickly. Also, I didn't like how it was all online and didn't have a paper & pencil component. It's a nice interface and concept for tracking your studying (and free is always a plus), but I felt that I could do better with the Powerscore bibles and then using the practice test books put out by the LSAC. I would read through the Bibles and complete activities, and then practice on sections from the LSAC test books under timed conditions. It is a little more expensive, but I felt that I was able to improve my score faster than if I had stuck it out with Khan. That being said, everyone is different, and Khan Academy might work well for you. What's your study routine/schedule preparing for the Jan test date?

googleme

New

Post by googleme » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

jaymo8 wrote:I started out using Khan Academy and I stopped using it after a couple of weeks. The practice problems come from a limited set of questions and I started repeating questions pretty quickly. Also, I didn't like how it was all online and didn't have a paper & pencil component. It's a nice interface and concept for tracking your studying (and free is always a plus), but I felt that I could do better with the Powerscore bibles and then using the practice test books put out by the LSAC. I would read through the Bibles and complete activities, and then practice on sections from the LSAC test books under timed conditions. It is a little more expensive, but I felt that I was able to improve my score faster than if I had stuck it out with Khan. That being said, everyone is different, and Khan Academy might work well for you. What's your study routine/schedule preparing for the Jan test date?
Thanks for sharing! I started doubting it when it kept saying "you are on track" when clearly practicing with only what they can provide is not enough. I do enjoy the Lesson part though. I bought a full set of Powerscore as well as 50 sets LSAC practice tests.

I'll most probably mainly stick with Khan for technique, and refer to Powerscore for additions (after all, the phrase "in collaboration with LSAC" on Khan is quite tempting...)

The schedule is to start doing 1 timed test every other day for October, and 1 timed test per day for December. It's hard to plan November due to intense work schedule, but I intend to do at least one set of LR, AR and RC per day timed.

How about you? Are you planning to take the test in Jan as well?

jaymo8

New

Post by jaymo8 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am

googleme wrote:
jaymo8 wrote:I started out using Khan Academy and I stopped using it after a couple of weeks. The practice problems come from a limited set of questions and I started repeating questions pretty quickly. Also, I didn't like how it was all online and didn't have a paper & pencil component. It's a nice interface and concept for tracking your studying (and free is always a plus), but I felt that I could do better with the Powerscore bibles and then using the practice test books put out by the LSAC. I would read through the Bibles and complete activities, and then practice on sections from the LSAC test books under timed conditions. It is a little more expensive, but I felt that I was able to improve my score faster than if I had stuck it out with Khan. That being said, everyone is different, and Khan Academy might work well for you. What's your study routine/schedule preparing for the Jan test date?
Thanks for sharing! I started doubting it when it kept saying "you are on track" when clearly practicing with only what they can provide is not enough. I do enjoy the Lesson part though. I bought a full set of Powerscore as well as 50 sets LSAC practice tests.

I'll most probably mainly stick with Khan for technique, and refer to Powerscore for additions (after all, the phrase "in collaboration with LSAC" on Khan is quite tempting...)

The schedule is to start doing 1 timed test every other day for October, and 1 timed test per day for December. It's hard to plan November due to intense work schedule, but I intend to do at least one set of LR, AR and RC per day timed.

How about you? Are you planning to take the test in Jan as well?
I've taken once and got a 170 and am going to take again in Nov to see if I can bump my score up. I've been PTing much higher and should score higher this second time.

Seems like a good schedule. For me the key has simply been repetition and seeing as many questions as I can once I understood the basic principles of the questions. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”