Best Online Course for Erratic Schedule Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kestrel452

New

Best Online Course for Erratic Schedule

Post by kestrel452 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am

Hello all,

Which online course do you recommend for someone who is working full time and doesn't have a regular study schedule? I seem to be having the most trouble with logic games, and understanding the structure of LR passages. I think I have a good handle of the concept of solving LR questions, but what I get hung up on is knowing which specific part of the passage to focus in on. Though between the two, I think logic games is my weak spot.

I've been reading the Trainer, which has not been bad, however I am finding I need more hand holding and thorough guidance/instruction. I am not a good test-taker. I learn the best by *doing*, but I dislike large practice question drills without really knowing for sure what I'm doing...

Any insight is welcome. Thank you 8)

The_TLS_Shill

New

Re: Best Online Course for Erratic Schedule

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:38 pm

I think your budget is important to consider. If you already have a score around 165 get a tutor. If you have a score in 40' or 50's then you need to get a class.

The hard truth is that you may need to make your schedule a little less erratic. If you're serious about law school then you already know that LSAT is king, and anything you can do to maximize your score will be best.

provide a little more info and I can help.

Regarding companies, I can guide you through private messages.

kestrel452

New

Post by kestrel452 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the word "erratic", what I meant more so was some nights getting home at 7 or 8PM instead of 6PM. And occasionally having a day where I cannot study at all. Not so erratic that I can't stay generally on-track. My preconceived notion was that most people prepping for the LSAT are not working.

With respect to tutors...I haven't taken a practice test yet. Though I am far from opposed to hiring one if that'd be better than a class. The only issue is I'm guessing an LSAT tutor is going to run thousands of dollars to get sufficient instruction.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Get to 160 on your own. From that point I would recommend you buy the intro 7sage (<$200 investment). From there you can get to 165. If you plateau at 165 (many do, some don't) then you can research getting a tutor. It's not cost effective below a certain threshold. Full disclosure: am tutor.

If you're having trouble with LG the 7Sage LG videos on youtube should be your best friend. They may seem weird at first but give his methods a shot.

kestrel452

New

Post by kestrel452 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 pm

AJordan wrote:Get to 160 on your own. From that point I would recommend you buy the intro 7sage (<$200 investment). From there you can get to 165. If you plateau at 165 (many do, some don't) then you can research getting a tutor. It's not cost effective below a certain threshold. Full disclosure: am tutor.

If you're having trouble with LG the 7Sage LG videos on youtube should be your best friend. They may seem weird at first but give his methods a shot.
Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "get to 160 on your own". As I explained, I need a course to get me seriously prepared for the LSAT. I am registered for the November exam and will probably take it again in January to see if I can score any higher.

Is the 7sage course the one you would recommend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The_TLS_Shill

New

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:00 pm

kestrel452 wrote:
AJordan wrote:Get to 160 on your own. From that point I would recommend you buy the intro 7sage (<$200 investment). From there you can get to 165. If you plateau at 165 (many do, some don't) then you can research getting a tutor. It's not cost effective below a certain threshold. Full disclosure: am tutor.

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by "get to 160 on your own". As I explained, I need a course to get me seriously prepared for the LSAT. I am registered for the November exam and will probably take it again in January to see if I can score any higher.

Is the 7sage course the one you would recommend?

I don't like this. You have no diagnostic. You should not be sitting for November unless you are within a couple points of your goal score already, and if you are within a couple points of your goal score already then your goal score isn't good enough.

If you NEED a class then you aren't going to be ready by November.

Don't be tripped up on starting in 2019 if you can be a better applicant in 2020.
It was a long road into the 170's, but once I got there I thought I could do even better so I kept taking the test.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but you are going to be competing with people as tenacious but more talented than me. Buy the practice tests, use the 7 Sage videos on games if they are still available. Do every damn game. EVERY GAME. Do a lot of LR- understand as much as you can with every question well enough that you could change the details of the stimulus and explain the argument to anybody who walked by.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 am

It's okay to sign up for all the tests you want - they only care, really, about the highest score. It's not okay to put a finishing deadline on yourself, though. Backwards plan it. What job do you want? Search those lawyers on their websites and look at the schools they attended. Look at the LSAT medians for those schools. Practice until you get that score consistently over your last 5+ practice tests. That's how you get the LSAT score you need. If you haven't started yet you're not going to reach your potential by November unless you're an outlier. You have a shot at January as long as you can put in a good, focused hour 5+ days a week until then. Someone who hasn't started studying for the LSAT limiting the timeline to "I MUST attend next year" is really doing himself a disservice. Time should be your friend.

kestrel452

New

Post by kestrel452 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:00 am

AJordan wrote:It's okay to sign up for all the tests you want - they only care, really, about the highest score. It's not okay to put a finishing deadline on yourself, though. Backwards plan it. What job do you want? Search those lawyers on their websites and look at the schools they attended. Look at the LSAT medians for those schools. Practice until you get that score consistently over your last 5+ practice tests. That's how you get the LSAT score you need. If you haven't started yet you're not going to reach your potential by November unless you're an outlier. You have a shot at January as long as you can put in a good, focused hour 5+ days a week until then. Someone who hasn't started studying for the LSAT limiting the timeline to "I MUST attend next year" is really doing himself a disservice. Time should be your friend.
Thanks for the reply. I know it's a disservice, however I am being constantly (and viciously) harassed/manipulated by my father to do this now, so I really just want to get the test done while not bombing it. I know I am not going to get into a Top 10 school, but given the fact I have an MBA, a 3.5 graduate school GPA, and a few years professional work experience, I think I can at least get into a decent school so long as I don't bomb the LSAT. If I'm wrong about that, don't hesitate to correct me...it could just be wishful and naive thinking.

The_TLS_Shill

New

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:06 pm

kestrel452 wrote:
AJordan wrote:It's okay to sign up for all the tests you want - they only care, really, about the highest score. It's not okay to put a finishing deadline on yourself, though. Backwards plan it. What job do you want? Search those lawyers on their websites and look at the schools they attended. Look at the LSAT medians for those schools. Practice until you get that score consistently over your last 5+ practice tests. That's how you get the LSAT score you need. If you haven't started yet you're not going to reach your potential by November unless you're an outlier. You have a shot at January as long as you can put in a good, focused hour 5+ days a week until then. Someone who hasn't started studying for the LSAT limiting the timeline to "I MUST attend next year" is really doing himself a disservice. Time should be your friend.
Thanks for the reply. I know it's a disservice, however I am being constantly (and viciously) harassed/manipulated by my father to do this now, so I really just want to get the test done while not bombing it. I know I am not going to get into a Top 10 school, but given the fact I have an MBA, a 3.5 graduate school GPA, and a few years professional work experience, I think I can at least get into a decent school so long as I don't bomb the LSAT. If I'm wrong about that, don't hesitate to correct me...it could just be wishful and naive thinking.

You're going to roll your eyes, but this is exactly what I said to myself. You have a dad who wants you to go to law school. Does he know anything about this?
You sound like you really need to just get more time in this whole law school admissions world because you are making all the mistakes so far. The faster you realize you can't rely on a 3.5 graduate GPA (which isn't even impressive by any means) the fast you will recognize your goals. The other guy said it right. I wouldn't limit to any firm or even a real job before starting school, but this is just me. I think if you can get into Yale you'll be fine anywhere. Set that as your standard.

Churner_throwaway-

New

Post by Churner_throwaway- » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:09 pm

I think the Testmasters online course would fit well with your schedule since it is all at your own pace. Feel free to private message me or email me for more information since it is difficult to communicate on this forum: emilychurning@gmail.com

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”