Should I cancel my score?? NEED ADVICE Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolhopeful440

New

Should I cancel my score?? NEED ADVICE

Post by lawschoolhopeful440 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:44 pm

So, I'll start by saying that this was my first time taking the LSAT (Sep 2018), and I have been consistently PT'ing between 156-161 for the past 2 months or so. I went into the test feeling fairly confident and left the test contemplating everything. I was not very confident about any part of the test and only was able to spend about 5 minutes on the last passage of the RC section. So I just skimmed the passage and took a decent guess on the last 7ish questions of the RC. I kind of blanked out for the remaining sections and don't remember specifics for the 2 LR sections and LG section but I know I wasn't extremely confident about it. I am considering canceling my score but I am pretty unsure of what I want to do and was looking for some advice. I am extremely nervous and do not want to opt not to cancel it and receive a score in the low 150s or even 140s because I am afraid that even with a retake that will still look bad to some admissions counselors. But then again, I am also thinking that maybe I am just thinking I did worse than I actually did due to the pressure and do not want to cancel a decent score. PLEASE HELP!!! Also, if I happen not to cancel it and get a score in the low 150s or high 140s, and I took it again and got around a 160, would I still be able to get into schools where the average is around a 160? Or will the bad score make me less of a competitive applicant? Thanks for the advice!

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Should I cancel my score?? NEED ADVICE

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Schools look at the highest score. That’s all they report, that’s all they care about. The usual advice is not to cancel unless you got violently ill or something, because you don’t lose anything by getting your score. Everyone, at some point after the test, thinks that they blew it. Even if you did, you can just retake.

The_TLS_Shill

New

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Schools look at the highest score. That’s all they report, that’s all they care about. The usual advice is not to cancel unless you got violently ill or something, because you don’t lose anything by getting your score. Everyone, at some point after the test, thinks that they blew it. Even if you did, you can just retake.
Go with this. Especially if you feel you NEED to apply this year. If you have a score you can at least send out applications and update the schools when you score higher.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 pm

lawschoolhopeful440 wrote:So, I'll start by saying that this was my first time taking the LSAT (Sep 2018), and I have been consistently PT'ing between 156-161 for the past 2 months or so. I went into the test feeling fairly confident and left the test contemplating everything. I was not very confident about any part of the test and only was able to spend about 5 minutes on the last passage of the RC section. So I just skimmed the passage and took a decent guess on the last 7ish questions of the RC. I kind of blanked out for the remaining sections and don't remember specifics for the 2 LR sections and LG section but I know I wasn't extremely confident about it. I am considering canceling my score but I am pretty unsure of what I want to do and was looking for some advice. I am extremely nervous and do not want to opt not to cancel it and receive a score in the low 150s or even 140s because I am afraid that even with a retake that will still look bad to some admissions counselors. But then again, I am also thinking that maybe I am just thinking I did worse than I actually did due to the pressure and do not want to cancel a decent score. PLEASE HELP!!! Also, if I happen not to cancel it and get a score in the low 150s or high 140s, and I took it again and got around a 160, would I still be able to get into schools where the average is around a 160? Or will the bad score make me less of a competitive applicant? Thanks for the advice!
I remember being really good at LG and then on my first take of the lsat LG was my first section and I completely butchered it. I thought I screwed up the test, but turned out I got a good score, but not what I had hoped for. This led to me retaking and getting an amazing score and getting into my dream school. So, a) law schools don’t care about your worse scores, and b) you are probably overestimating how badly you messed up.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”