4-Month LSAT 172+ Plan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
breathbecomesairr1

New

4-Month LSAT 172+ Plan

Post by breathbecomesairr1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 am

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice for the upcoming January LSAT.
To give a little preface, my LSAC GPA is ~3.94, and I've lightened up my course schedule this year in terms of the workload of the classes (except Econometrics) to really have the time to prepare for the LSAT. I plan on starting around October for a fourish-month grind till' Jan.

I already bought LSAT Trainer Mike Kim, but I'm probably looking for Powerscore Logic Games + Prep Tests packs?

My plan goes like this:
First 2 months: Read and Finish LSAT Trainer Mike Kim, Take 2 PT + BR after
Last 2 months: Drill a section a day, take 2 PT + BR after

May I receive feedback on the books I should buy, (if that's okay?) and the schedule I currently have set up? (i.e. you should take 3 PT's a week for the last month or drill 2x a day. )

Hey! so -- I really appreciate the help.

Sidenote: in IRL I'm always intimated by lawyers and they seem so confident and talk so smoothly. I was wondering how I can get over this aura of intimidation many lawyers have?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: 4-Month LSAT 172+ Plan

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:19 am

breathbecomesairr1 wrote: in IRL I'm always intimated by lawyers and they seem so confident and talk so smoothly. I was wondering how I can get over this aura of intimidation many lawyers have?
Lol, after your first firm party any sort of shine will come off of your mental picture of lawyers. Lawyers, by and large, are trailer trash with grad degrees. Just because some of them are good at acting doesn't mean they have their shit together any better than you do.

As far as studying for the LSAT, I didn't do a formal program. I bought a book with a whole bunch of practice tests and took them. Some under testing conditions. Some in small spurts over a few days. Some under partial testing conditions. I think the biggest piece of advice I have is do multiple things. Sticking with just one program or just one source of info isn't enough. You need to get multiple perspectives to figure out your weaknesses and resolve them.

Zolo Boi Supreme

New

Post by Zolo Boi Supreme » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Is there a reason you would take it in Jan instead of later? Honestly if you can help it I would take the LSAT in June. It would be difficult saying how realistic your plan is considering we don't know your starting point. Having a starting score of 165 makes that 172 much more realistic than a starting score of a 154; not that it would be impossible but 4 months is cutting it close for huge jumps in progress.

In terms of schedule I think you should be able to finish the Trainer within 2 weeks if you're not really pushing it. I got the LG bible and found that to be useful. Work on mastering the LG first as that will provide the most consistent boost early on. Take each logic game section at least 3 times. Doing that allowed me to drill good habits and really internalize the thought process behind certain moves. You should take it once timed, untimed then watch the 7sage video and see how he does it and get your time to match his or better for the third take. I'd also buy all the PTs you can, if you're strapped for time focus on PTs 60+. For every practice test scan it and do it timed then untimed. 4 months is not a lot of time so if you don't want to budge and take it later I think you should be taking at least 1 PT a week after you finish the trainer and bump that up as the test gets closer.

breathbecomesairr1

New

Post by breathbecomesairr1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Zolo Boi Supreme wrote:Is there a reason you would take it in Jan instead of later? Honestly, if you can help it I would take the LSAT in June.
Really? I heard that you should only be looking to practice in 3-6 months before you avoid, "burning out,"

I could take the exam in June, but I prefer being early on these sorts of things, so possibly March and then June if my PT's aren't so nifty by February/March.

Zolo Boi Supreme

New

Post by Zolo Boi Supreme » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 pm

breathbecomesairr1 wrote:
Zolo Boi Supreme wrote:Is there a reason you would take it in Jan instead of later? Honestly, if you can help it I would take the LSAT in June.
Really? I heard that you should only be looking to practice in 3-6 months before you avoid, "burning out,"

I could take the exam in June, but I prefer being early on these sorts of things, so possibly March and then June if my PT's aren't so nifty by February/March.
I wouldn't worry about burnout this early on. A 172+ is an elite score so taking more than 6 months to achieve that is normal. First time taking a PT I got a 155 and I just recently broke into the 170s after about 5 months. You could progress much quicker and start at a better place but you need to give yourself an ample amount of time for this to happen. I'd start going over the Trainer next week.

breathbecomesairr1

New

Post by breathbecomesairr1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Zolo Boi Supreme wrote:
breathbecomesairr1 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about burnout this early on. A 172+ is an elite score so taking more than 6 months to achieve that is normal. First time taking a PT I got a 155 and I just recently broke into the 170s after about 5 months. You could progress much quicker and start at a better place but you need to give yourself an ample amount of time for this to happen. I'd start going over the Trainer next week.
I literally tried taking a diagnostic today, and found myself running out of energy... the endurance kills! I'm super happy that it's not something that I can get wrong because I "can't figure it out," but because of time pressures and stamina issues! (Going in, I was kind of nervous about just being really logically challenged or something...cause my friend just told me to build stamina even though he only took 3 months to get from 156 to 173 or something like that..)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”