Where to study in NYC? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Santiago

New

Where to study in NYC?

Post by Santiago » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm

I live and work in Lower Manhattan. I'm looking for a quiet place to study for a couple of hours late night after work - preferably somewhere that doesn't close until 11pm at the earliest.

I live with 3 other roommates in a 1st floor apt next to a bar, so studying at home isn't ideal.
All branches of The New York Public Library are closed by 9pm.
NYU's Bobst library is open until 3am but charges $100 for 10 visits. I plan on going at least 20 times a month. Too expensive.
Parsons is closed by 9pm.
Baruch doesn't accept guests.
Coffee shops and diners tend to play music.

Any suggestions of good places to study late in the city?

Facelessgod

New

Re: Where to study in NYC?

Post by Facelessgod » Mon May 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Santiago wrote:I live and work in Lower Manhattan. I'm looking for a quiet place to study for a couple of hours late night after work - preferably somewhere that doesn't close until 11pm at the earliest.

I live with 3 other roommates in a 1st floor apt next to a bar, so studying at home isn't ideal.
All branches of the New York Public Library are closed by 9pm.
NYU's Bobst library is open until 3am but charges $100 for 10 visits. I plan on going at least 20 times a month. Too expensive.
Parsons is closed by 9pm.
Baruch doesn't accept guests.
Coffee shops and diners tend to play music.

Any suggestions of good places to study late in the city?
Although I don't live in NYC, I live in a decent sized city and definitely came across this issue. Are there any community colleges nearby? There is one within walking distance of me and it's open to the public. It's generally empty and open until 10:30pm on weekdays. Unfortunately, with the school year being over, the hours are reduced significantly so this isn't a viable option anymore.

Another thing I do is go to coffee shops, ideally ones that aren't really busy, and wear in-ear bud headphones. Then I just play a white noise video and it blocks out everything else and really helps me focus and not get distracted by what's going on around me. I tend to get really annoyed by things like people obnoxiously coughing or grunting and with this strategy I don't hear them. Here's the video I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArwcHjmsw3A&t=6424s

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am

My best advice is get yourself a good set of earplugs and head to Starbucks or somewhere similar. It’s going to be very tough to find a study environment at 11pm.

BMCC is open till 10pm and is walking distance from you. Keep in mind, at bobst the stacks close earlier. The only place open at 11 are the basement floors. Good luck and hope you find something I’m missing.

drillteam

New

Post by drillteam » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 pm

If you are a member (or have a friend who is a member) of any of the various collegiate clubs in NY (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Williams, Cornell, etc.) , which all have libraries and studies, those would be perfect places to study.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:14 pm

drillteam wrote:If you are a member (or have a friend who is a member) of any of the various collegiate clubs in NY (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Williams, Cornell, etc.) , which all have libraries and studies, those would be perfect places to study.
Funny, I was just about to write this.

http://www.princetonclub.com/Join/Assoc ... hools.aspx
http://www.williamsclub.org/site/about-2/1630-2/

If you're a recent grad, you can get a good rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm

The Mid-Manhattan Library has a decent study room open during the day. The room open at night is pretty gross. The Science, Industry and Business Library on 34th is also pretty nice.

I have tutored the LSAT for LSAT Wiz (a business I started in 2010) in NYC for about 5 years since then. Personally, I like using the study rooms in luxury apartments and conduct all my sessions out of mine. If you have a friend in a luxury building, just use their library.

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor

New

Post by LSAT_Ninja_Tutor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Whole Foods in Tribeca on Greenwich is a great place for studying alone or with a group. I meet people for tutoring here often. It's open until 11 pm every day. Not hard to find a plug. The busiest time is lunch time, that's the only time I would say it gets noisy. You can sit there all day and no one will bother you. If you're cold natured, bring an extra sweater.

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor

New

Post by LSAT_Ninja_Tutor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Is BMCC open to the public?

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:07 am

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor wrote:Is BMCC open to the public?
I’m not sure what the exact policy is, but I’ve never had trouble. The library is in the main building on Chambers st. If you show your school ID to the front desk when you walk in, they’ll let you in and you can just walk into the library. The only issue you could run into is not being able to access the WiFi. I used my own tethering, so it wasn’t an issue for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”