Create your own game, and post it here! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
theZeigs

Bronze

Create your own game, and post it here!

Post by theZeigs » Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello all,

I've heard in many places how useful it can be to design your own game. I found it very useful indeed. I went ahead and built one, and I thought I'd share it with the community. I'll post answers and explanations below. I'd like to keep doing this just to get a good feel for games, along with regular practice.

I'd love it if others did this - it's a great exercise to get you to understand the push and pull in various rules, plus it gives us who have been through most of the games materials more stuff to work on!

Of course, if there's an error in the game, please let me know. I think one of the interesting things about making the game is it becomes hard to make an error, because if you get an answer choice that doesn't work/does work unexpectedly, you can just adjust what the question asked -- had to do that a few times. I also found it useful to write up an explanation of how to solve the problem, so that I could make a set of answers that worked/didn't. It's actually hard to come up with wrong answers sometimes!

FWIW, this seems to be a pretty tricky game...Here you go:

A movie channel is airing five out of eight classic movies. These movies are either in color: Life, Monarchs, Neopolitics, and Outdoors, or black and white: Pianists, Queen, Reaper, and Suffragettes. These movies will be shown one at a time, in five consecutive slots, and the following must hold:

If Pianists is selected, neither Monarchs nor Outdoors is selected.
If Life is selected, Reaper must be selected.
Exactly two of Outdoors, Reaper, and Suffragettes must be selected.
At least two color movies must be shown, and they cannot be shown consecutively
If Reaper is selected, it is the third movie shown.
If Life is selected, it is the first color movie.

1) Which of the following is an acceptable list of movies shown, from first to last?
a. Pianists, Queens, Sufragettes, Neopolitics, Outdoors
b. Life, Outdoors, Reaper, Neopolitics, Suffragettes
c. Neopolitics, Queen, Life, Reaper, Suffragettes
d. Suffragettes, Queen, Reaper, Pianists, Neopolitics
e. Life, Suffragettes, Reaper, Neopolitics, Pianists

2) If P is included, which of the following must be true?
a. Monarchs is included.
b. Queen is included.
c. Reaper is shown 4th
d. Neopolitics is the second color movie shown
e. Suffragettes is the fifth movie shown

3) If L and O are selected, which must be selected?
a. Monarchs
b. Neopolitics
c. Reaper
d. Queen
e. Suffragettes

4) If there are three color movies, which of the following cannot be selected?
a. Life
b. Monarchs
c. Neopolitics
d. Outdoors
e. Reaper

5) If Life is selected and Outdoors and Pianists are not, which of the following must be true?
a. Life is shown either first or second
b. Neopolitics is not selected
c. Queen is the first movie shown
d. Monarchs is selected
e. Queen is the fifth movie shown.

6) If R and Q are selected, which must be selected?
a. Pianists
b. Life
c. Monarchs
d. Neopolitics
e. Suffragettes

chad2

New

Re: Create your own game, and post it here!

Post by chad2 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

theZeigs wrote:Hello all,

I've heard in many places how useful it can be to design your own game. I found it very useful indeed. I went ahead and built one, and I thought I'd share it with the community. I'll post answers and explanations below. I'd like to keep doing this just to get a good feel for games, along with regular practice.

I'd love it if others did this - it's a great exercise to get you to understand the push and pull in various rules, plus it gives us who have been through most of the games materials more stuff to work on!

Of course, if there's an error in the game, please let me know. I think one of the interesting things about making the game is it becomes hard to make an error, because if you get an answer choice that doesn't work/does work unexpectedly, you can just adjust what the question asked -- had to do that a few times. I also found it useful to write up an explanation of how to solve the problem, so that I could make a set of answers that worked/didn't. It's actually hard to come up with wrong answers sometimes!

A movie channel is airing five out of eight classic movies. These movies are either in color: Life, Monarchs, Neopolitics, and Outdoors, or black and white: Pianists, Queen, Reaper, and Suffragettes. These movies will be shown one at a time, in five consecutive slots, and the following must hold:

1) Which of the following is an acceptable list of movies shown, from first to last?

a. Monarchs is included.
b. Queen is included.
c. Reaper is shown 4th

a. Monarchs
b. Neopolitics
c. Reaper
d. Queen
e. Suffragettes

a. Life
b. Monarchs
c. Neopolitics
d. Outdoors
e. Reaper

5) If Life is selected and Outdoors and Pianists are not, which of the following must be true?
d. Monarchs is selected

a. Pianists
b. Life
c. Monarchs
d. Neopolitics
e. Suffragettes
Tough game, took me around twelve minutes! I got EDCEAE.

chad2

New

Post by chad2 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am

chad2 wrote:
theZeigs wrote:Hello all,

a. Monarchs is included.
b. Queen is included.
c. Reaper is shown 4th

a. Monarchs
b. Neopolitics
c. Reaper
d. Queen
e. Suffragettes

a. Life
b. Monarchs
c. Neopolitics
d. Outdoors
e. Reaper

d. Monarchs is selected

a. Pianists
b. Life
c. Monarchs
d. Neopolitics
e. Suffragettes
Tough game, took me around twelve minutes! I got EDCEAE.
On reflection, it looks like question 3 leads to an impossible game scenario. If Life is selected then per your second rule Reaper must be selected and placed third. This limits the number of color films to exactly two, since in order for three color films to be non-adjacent one of them must occupy the third slot. If there's two color films, then there's three black and white films. Suffragette cannot be one of those films, since exactly two of Outdoors, Reaper, and Suffragette must be selected, and Outdoors and Reaper have already been selected. This means that the three black and white films must be Reaper, Queen and Pianists. But per your first rule, if Pianists is selected then Outdoors cannot be, even though the stem says it must be.

Barely caught that, and only after coming back to the game tonight! Let me know if there's an error in my reasoning here.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

You are right, great catch. I drew this up and forgot about the consecutive rule!

Changed this rule slightly, maybe this is better:

3) If P is not selected but R is, which cannot be selected?
a) M
b) O
c) Q
d) S
e) L

Thanks again! Working on another game now :)

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Mon May 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Got a new one! Much easier, IMHO.

Seven clowns will get out of a car, one at a time, one behind the next, through a single door. The clowns are named Atticus, Balthazar, Cornelius, Dopey, Euripides, Falstaff, and Gordo. The following rules apply for how the clowns exit the car:

Falstaff and Cornelius exit the car separated by exactly two clowns, regardless of which exits first.
Balthazar exits before Dopey but after Gordo.
Euripides is neither the first nor the last to exit the car.
Atticus exits the car third, or fifth.

1) Which of the following is a possible sequence for the clowns to exit the car?
a. Gordo Euripides Atticus Falstaff Dopey Balthazar Cornelius
b. Cornelius Gordo Balthazar Dopey Atticus Falstaff Euripides
c. Cornelius Gordo Balthazar Falstaff Atticus Euripides Dopey
d. Atticus Cornelius Gordo Euripides Falstaff Balthazar Dopey
e. Falstaff Gordo Balthazar Cornelius Atticus Dopey Euripides
2) Which of the following must be true?
a. Dopey must be last
b. Cornelius or else Falstaff must be 4th
c. Gordo must be second or third
d. Euripides must be second or sixth
e. Euripides must be before Dopey
3) If Atticus is third and Falstaff is first, which of the following must be true?
a. Dopey is last
b. Gordo is second
c. Gordo is fifth
d. Euripides is sixth
e. Euripides is fifth
4) If Atticus is third and Falstaff is seventh, which of the following must be true?
a. Cornelius is third
b. Euripides is fifth
c. Euripides is sixth
d. Balthazar is second or third
e. Gordo is first or second
5) If Cornelius is seventh and Balthazar is third, which of the following must be true?
a. Dopey is sixth
b. Euripides is second
c. Euripides is third
d. Gordo is first
e. Balthazar is second
6) If the condition that Atticus must be third or fifth is removed and replaced with a rule that Atticus must appear between Gordo and Balthazar, which of the following must be true?
a. Cornelius exits the car first, or fourth
b. Falstaff exits the car first, or fourth
c. Euripides exits the car second or third
d. Dopey exits the car last
e. Gordo exits the car first

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chad2

New

Post by chad2 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Again, 2 and 6 have no solution; the rules don't mandate any of those particular answers.

I'll give two correct game solutions that, together, disprove each answer choice for 2: GBDFAEC and GBFEACD. As best I can tell, neither of those violate any game rules, but together they are sufficient to rule out each answer choice: Dopey is not last in the first game, Neither Cornelius nor Falstaff is fourth in the second game, Gordo is not second or third in either game, Euripides is not second or sixth in the second game, and Euripides is after Dopey in the first game.

Here are three correct game solutions that together rule out any answer choice in Question 6: GFEACBD, GABFDEC, and FGACEBD. Each of these satisfies the G-A-B-D rule and all preexisting rules. In the first solution, neither F nor C perform either first or fourth, ruling out the first two answer choices. In the second two games, Euripides doesn't exit the car second or third. In the second solution, Dopey doesn't exist the car last, and in the final solution, Gordo doesn't exit the car first.

Let me know if I've overlooked anything here.

The others are, in order, CAEA

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Hey, you're right again! This happens to me a lot actually - try to make an exhaustive gameboard split and totally miss some "worlds."

What I did was put A3, and then put C/F 1 & 4, and then 4 & 7, but of course, 2 & 6 is another possible world that then blows this game up.

Redoing it now; will remove original game. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”