Study Plan: practice PT VS prep LSAT books Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
0person0

New

Study Plan: practice PT VS prep LSAT books

Post by 0person0 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 pm

I recently started studying for the LSAT and like everyone I rushed into buying prep books. (I do NOT recommend Kaplan Premier)

What I realized very soon is that I enjoy doing actual PT more than reading/studying prep books. I also have to say that I find confusing the way many prep books set things up, they try to explain something very simple and intuitive by articulating the concept so much that in the end I am more confused than ever.

Yes, they can be useful and give you tips but I found most of them being verbose or reiterating the obvious. Now, I'm trying to understand if this attitude I'm having has some basis or it's just me thinking I know better/I don't need these books.

To people who have already some experience with LSAT studying (especially people who already took the test): do you think you could get a great score by 80% doing PT only and maybe 20% reviewing some prep material?

natemorris

New

Re: Study Plan: practice PT VS prep LSAT books

Post by natemorris » Sun May 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi - what you've observed is 100% true! A lot of 3rd party prep material (Kaplan) is terrible and just complicates things. The best way to get good at something is to just do it over and over again, and the LSAT is no different, so just take full PTs and review them!

If you can review, understand, and master all the questions you got wrong on a prep test so that you'd get perfect if you took it again, and then move onto the next test and do the same thing, you'll see very meaningful improvement after 5-10 tests.

I have a study guide with a dozen customized self study schedules that all my students use for taking and reviewing tests, if you're interested let me know I can share with you!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”