Sufficient Assumption Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
girlygirl9

New

Sufficient Assumption

Post by girlygirl9 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 am

I’m really struggling with these. I’ve gone through the 7sage lesson a couple of times and I understand the argument forms and the process of connecting the premises to the conclusion, but as I’m doing practice questions translating the English to logic is seemingly difficult.
Will the correct answer choice always have the conclusion in it and or be a conditional statement ?

The_TLS_Shill

New

Re: Sufficient Assumption

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm

girlygirl9 wrote:I’m really struggling with these. I’ve gone through the 7sage lesson a couple of times and I understand the argument forms and the process of connecting the premises to the conclusion, but as I’m doing practice questions translating the English to logic is seemingly difficult.
Will the correct answer choice always have the conclusion in it and or be a conditional statement ?

Neither. It is simply filling the gap in the invalid reasoning to validate it.
I take a really simply approach to LR Q's: up arrow or down arrow.

Up arrow questions require the answer choice to modify the argument (weaken, strengthen, validate)
Down arrow questions simply take the information from the stimulus and is used to develop 1 true answer (the right answer)- down arrow questions are essentially MBT Q's... this includes Nec Assum, infer, *principle* and parallel.

At one point I would, with nearly every question, make an arrow pointing up or down depending on what the Q asked so I could get in the habit of taking from the stim or feeding the stim.

Hope this helps. If that simply sounds like rambles, do let me know.
Ultimately: just look for the gap between your support and your conclusion and find an answer that will fill it.

laker

New

Post by laker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:31 am

With sufficient assumptions, just keep in mind that your goal is to pick an answer choice, that when it is combined with the premises, makes the conclusion correct.

For example, if I told you that all dogs have four legs, therefore all dogs are good, a sufficient assumption would be that everything with four legs is good.

If you read the stimulus and have trouble seeing a gap in the reasoning, often it can help to diagram it. When you do this, the gaps become easier to see. Your goal is to make the premises flow to the conclusion.

For the example, you could diagram it as:

premise: D -> 4
conclusion: D -> G
(D = dog; 4 = 4 legs; G = good)

and then the correct answer choice would connect your premise to your conclusion:
4 -> G

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Another thing that helps is trying to predict the answer. Once I started trying to predict the answer, I became soo much better at SA and NA questions. Now, be careful; don't try to force your prediction. Be somewhat open-minded. If nothing else, when you try to predict an answer, it will at least help you eliminate one or two answer choices that are clearly wrong.

Let me know if you have any questions. I feel like I've gotten really good at this question type, and would be happy to walk through some real questions with you to better explain what I meant up there.

girlygirl9

New

Post by girlygirl9 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:12 pm

King of the North wrote:Another thing that helps is trying to predict the answer. Once I started trying to predict the answer, I became soo much better at SA and NA questions. Now, be careful; don't try to force your prediction. Be somewhat open-minded. If nothing else, when you try to predict an answer, it will at least help you eliminate one or two answer choices that are clearly wrong.

Let me know if you have any questions. I feel like I've gotten really good at this question type, and would be happy to walk through some real questions with you to better explain what I meant up there.
Hey can we pm?

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Wed May 09, 2018 6:26 pm

girlygirl9 wrote:
King of the North wrote:Another thing that helps is trying to predict the answer. Once I started trying to predict the answer, I became soo much better at SA and NA questions. Now, be careful; don't try to force your prediction. Be somewhat open-minded. If nothing else, when you try to predict an answer, it will at least help you eliminate one or two answer choices that are clearly wrong.

Hey can we pm?
I don’t think you can PM on here anymore. You can email me. Twistkick@gmail.com

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”