LSAT Trainer issues Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
zhengzhouseph

New

LSAT Trainer issues

Post by zhengzhouseph » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 am

So, this may be controversial. I am about 100 pages through the LSAT Trainer. I’m getting a very Kaplan-esque vibe so far. The book seems to emphasize a holistic approach to the test and catchphrases (e.g. “use”) rather than showing the reader how to work through the individual problems. One critique I have already is that, in large part, the book uses questions that were written by Mike Kim rather than actual LSAT questions. Furthermore, the explanations seem a little vague. For instance, in the Flaws chapter, most of the content is non-LSAT material, and the explanations seem to leave a little to be desired in terms of detail and specificity. This is in contrast to the PS Bibles, which tend to go into great detail as to why the premises don’t support certain inferences, etc. Does this book get better or am I wasting my time?

Wednesday

New

Re: LSAT Trainer issues

Post by Wednesday » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:48 pm

I'm not familiar with the book, but those are some valid concerns you have. My advice is don't waste time on the book you don't find helpful. I found Kaplan a useful introductory textbook, I really liked Logical Reasoning Bible, but not Logic Games Bible, which I gave up after about 120 pages for a much more useful alternative.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm getting done with the Logic Games section of the LSAT Trainer. I like using some of the diagramming approaches in there vs. the ones in the LG Bible, particularly for subsets. With that said, the Trainer does feel a bit cursory at times, which is why you should combine it with at least one other text plus the Official LSAT Preptest books.

The_TLS_Shill

New

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 pm

I preferred the Trainer because of the holistic approach. Regarding Kim's own Q's: they are usually really just for illustrating a concept and then moving forward with real ones from there. They are extreme versions of the types of arguments you will see. No magic in any of those books, but the real magic comes from sections (maybe hundreds, that is what it took me). Time your shit and review.
What score are you shooting for?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”