PT10_S4_Q10 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
existence1943

New

PT10_S4_Q10

Post by existence1943 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Hello everyone!

I understand A is correct, but I cannot understand why D is wrong. Here is my interpretation of the question.

Stimulus:
==In order to seek wide input from advisers, decision makers stress the strengths of a particular choice, and downplay the disadvantage of it
==In this way, he induces the opinion/input of advisers
==decision makers do not necessarily believe in this particular choice, therefore, the final decision may or may not be the same as it

Answer A: In certain cases, two things (A and B) can differ greatly. A: the statement of the particular choice by decision-maker in the meeting; B: the final decision.

Answer D: Certain decision makers proceed in a way that they will frequently decide in favor of ideas in which they do not believe.

I think it is safe to claim as described in D. It says 'certain' decision makers, not all decision makes. So, in some cases, decision makers do not land on the choice they seem to partially defend during the inquiry process. In other word, decision makers give other people an impression that they, a lot of times (frequently), decide on choices they do not believe.

Thanks!

DKM

New

Re: PT10_S4_Q10

Post by DKM » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 am

Hi. I recommend looking at the Manhattan LR forums for the reasoning behind specific questions. They are much more comprehensive than you will find on here. Hope this helps.

existence1943

New

Post by existence1943 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 pm

DKM wrote:Hi. I recommend looking at the Manhattan LR forums for the reasoning behind specific questions. They are much more comprehensive than you will find on here. Hope this helps.
Yeah. Thanks for the suggestion!

PowerScoreAdmin

New

Post by PowerScoreAdmin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi existence1943,

You're not alone in your thought that answer choice D could be in play. Check out the explanation and discussion for this question on the PowerScore Forum here:
https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8798

I hope that helps. :-)

blueprint-nick

New

Post by blueprint-nick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

It seems like everyone understands why A is the correct answer, so I will explain why "D" is not.

Answer choice D reads: "Certain decision makers proceed in a way that makes it likely that they will frequently decide in favor of ideas in which they do not believe."

1) The introduction of "likely" and "frequently" relies on a modality that is not present in the stimulus. The likelihood of such a tactic is never spoken to.

2) It is important that we maintain a distinction between belief and the appearance of belief in this question. The decision maker feigns belief, basically playing devil's advocate, in order to elicit advisor's reservations. Never does it say that the decision maker finalizes her decision on the feigned belief. In fact, we never get any criteria regarding the decision finally made, making answer choice D much too strong an answer and incorrect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”