Advice need about whether I should withdraw from the February LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
XY_lsat

New

Advice need about whether I should withdraw from the February LSAT

Post by XY_lsat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:22 am

Thank you for reading this.

I have been preparing for LSAT for several months. Finished Powerscore LG and LR, Manhattan RC and the LSAT Trainer.
However, my PT score are not well as I expected.
I just started doing the cambridge by type. This week I took two timed PTs, one is scored 144 and another is scored 142. :( My goal score is at least 165.
If I finish all the unfinished questions, my score is 156 and 159.

I was wondering whether I should withdraw from the February lsat, since I heard that if the first lsat score is not good, it is better to write an explanation when applying law schools.

Advices will be highly appreciated. Thanks. :P

XY_lsat

New

Re: Advice needed about whether I should withdraw from the February LSAT

Post by XY_lsat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:59 am

XY_lsat wrote:Thank you for reading this.

I have been preparing for LSAT for several months. Finished Powerscore LG and LR, Manhattan RC and the LSAT Trainer.
However, my PT score are not well as I expected.
I just started doing the cambridge by type. This week I took two timed PTs, one is scored 144 and another is scored 142. :( My goal score is at least 165.
If I finish all the unfinished questions, my score is 156 and 159.

I was wondering whether I should withdraw from the February lsat, since I heard that if the first lsat score is not good, it is better to write an explanation when applying law schools.

Advices will be highly appreciated. Thanks. :P

blueprint-nick

New

Re: Advice need about whether I should withdraw from the February LSAT

Post by blueprint-nick » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:19 pm

The question to me is: Will I get the best score that I am capable of? If the answer is no I would bail on the test and take it in June. How much progress have you made since your original diagnostic? Have you tried taking a prep class?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:52 pm

If you're scoring in the low 140s on timed PTs, then I don't really see a point in taking the real thing. No reason to have such a low score on file when you'd obviously need to retake when you're consistently finishing the exam in timed conditions (extremely important) and getting a decent score.

Law 202x

New

Post by Law 202x » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Your post makes no mention of, were these the only two practice tests you've ever taken? Your post simply says you've read through the books but only recently took two timed PTs. If this is true, then not only should you not take the February exam, it's doubtful whether you will even be prepared for June. If you start now, go through the PTs, say two a week, for the next however many weeks until the June or the September administration, then it's possible you will be ready by then. If all you did was read the books, that would be like only reading exercise and fitness books and then going into the gym and being confused at why you're not benching 500 pounds. Now on the other hand, if you've been taking them all along and still are only barely hitting a 144 then you're either studying wrong or it just isn't going to happen. I'm assuming from reading your post that it's the former and that you've only taken two actual timed tests, in which case, I would recommend holding off until September, really.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XY_lsat

New

Post by XY_lsat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:17 am

blueprint-nick wrote:The question to me is: Will I get the best score that I am capable of? If the answer is no I would bail on the test and take it in June. How much progress have you made since your original diagnostic? Have you tried taking a prep class?
Thank you for your reply. I withdrew the Feb test. I took my first pt untimed and it is 153 and my speed is really slow. Then I read those books and took two timed pts. I didn't take prep class. Now I planned to do those Cambridge by type questions first and then do those practice test after pt 38.

XY_lsat

New

Post by XY_lsat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:19 am

Mr. Archer wrote:If you're scoring in the low 140s on timed PTs, then I don't really see a point in taking the real thing. No reason to have such a low score on file when you'd obviously need to retake when you're consistently finishing the exam in timed conditions (extremely important) and getting a decent score.
You are right. Thank you for your reply!

XY_lsat

New

Post by XY_lsat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:25 am

Law 202x wrote:Your post makes no mention of, were these the only two practice tests you've ever taken? Your post simply says you've read through the books but only recently took two timed PTs. If this is true, then not only should you not take the February exam, it's doubtful whether you will even be prepared for June. If you start now, go through the PTs, say two a week, for the next however many weeks until the June or the September administration, then it's possible you will be ready by then. If all you did was read the books, that would be like only reading exercise and fitness books and then going into the gym and being confused at why you're not benching 500 pounds. Now on the other hand, if you've been taking them all along and still are only barely hitting a 144 then you're either studying wrong or it just isn't going to happen. I'm assuming from reading your post that it's the former and that you've only taken two actual timed tests, in which case, I would recommend holding off until September, really.
I only took 3 full pt, the first is untimed so now I guess that it doesn't count. I withdrew from the Feb test. You are right, the gym example totally makes sense. I am planning to do those Cambridge by type questions within 6 weeks and then do 2-3 full timed PTs a week. Hoping I could make it on June... :D Thank you for your reply! It is really helpful!

blueprint-nick

New

Post by blueprint-nick » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:26 pm

XY_lsat wrote:
blueprint-nick wrote:The question to me is: Will I get the best score that I am capable of? If the answer is no I would bail on the test and take it in June. How much progress have you made since your original diagnostic? Have you tried taking a prep class?
Thank you for your reply. I withdrew the Feb test. I took my first pt untimed and it is 153 and my speed is really slow. Then I read those books and took two timed pts. I didn't take prep class. Now I planned to do those Cambridge by type questions first and then do those practice test after pt 38.

You should take a blueprint class but I am biased :)

If you have any questions about how we prep feel free to dm me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”