Completely illegible writing sample?

walks

Completely illegible writing sample?

Postby walks » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:35 pm

I took the June 2017 LSAT and did very well, but, when my score report came in, I never bothered to look through all the pdfs. Last week I was guiding a student through the site (I tutor the test now) and I decided to reread my essay on a whim. Surprisingly, it was completely illegible; 75% of the second page is covered by huge black streaks. My only theory is that I smeared the lead with my hand while writing and that some combination of shitty ink transfer and high-contrast scanning darkened them from light grey to black.

Is there anything I can or should do about this? I know how little the essay section matters, but I'm worried that it looks negligent and sloppy. For what its worth, I submitted all my applications a month ago.

https://imgur.com/a/R75By

JazzOne

Re: Completely illegible writing sample?

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:41 pm

That's a tough question. The writing section matters very little. However, I am friendly with a T14 admissions dean who told me about an applicant with a very high LSAT score who was rejected because the applicant drew a picture instead of writing the essay. In an abundance of caution, you might consider contacting LSAC or submitting a brief addendum to the schools. It's probably not a big deal. But you never know which adcomm will get his/her feathers ruffled.

mcmand

Re: Completely illegible writing sample?

Postby mcmand » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Disagree. Don't think it matters. Shit gets scanned poorly all the time with those writing samples. They can tell you wrote something and that you didn't draw a picture. If they are desperate to read your sample, their only option is to hit up LSAC. They don't need an addendum telling them it scanned badly. It scanned badly, it's obvious, oh well.

Do not spend a second more of your time worrying about this. It would be bizarre and outside of reality if this was the basis for rejecting you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”