Should I study before my Testmasters course? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
zil020511

New

Should I study before my Testmasters course?

Post by zil020511 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello! I have taken an online course before, but I am enrolling in an in person course with Testmasters in February. Should I continue to foolproof LG up until the course begins or should I just wait until the course begins? To add context, I am aiming to take the June 2018 test, but I am willing to delay until Semptember. I have been studying for the LSAT since Jan 2017. The course ends in May, however I am concerned that I will not have enough time after course to drill and solidfy key concepts from the course.

Also, can anybody who has taken the course give your pros and cons and also any tips for studying with the course?

Thank You! Happy Holidays. :D

olympia

New

Re: Should I study before my Testmasters course?

Post by olympia » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Why wouldn’t you fool proof LG until then?

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:55 pm

olympia wrote:Why wouldn’t you fool proof LG until then?
The course recommends not doing any studying before the course because it can create bad habits.

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:46 am

zil020511 wrote:
The course recommends not doing any studying before the course because it can create bad habits.
You’ve been studying for a year already. Whatever habits you have (bad or otherwise) are already ingrained you, so fool proofing LG until the class begins won’t hurt you.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:31 pm

When they say bad habits, they usually mean doing things different than what we do. Granted, you can develop bad habits, but at this point if you have them, it's not like they're going away in the next two months. You're going to have to unlearn them no matter what.

I took a different course, local, and studied the PS bibles for a month before the class started. It helped me understand what was being taught in class a lot better and I did end up ditching the PS methods for what the class taught, but that was because I liked their methods better. It wasn't that hard to "unlearn" in order to switch approaches. I will say that when the course ended I didn't have time to solidify things, even with tutoring. My course ran Late March-June for the June 2017 test. I got solid on the concepts and was able to better address my weak areas in the time between June and December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 pm

olympia wrote:
zil020511 wrote:
You’ve been studying for a year already. Whatever habits you have (bad or otherwise) are already ingrained you, so fool proofing LG until the class begins won’t hurt you.
True! Thank you for your help!

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Experiment626 wrote:When they say bad habits, they usually mean doing things different than what we do. Granted, you can develop bad habits, but at this point if you have them, it's not like they're going away in the next two months. You're going to have to unlearn them no matter what.

I took a different course, local, and studied the PS bibles for a month before the class started. It helped me understand what was being taught in class a lot better and I did end up ditching the PS methods for what the class taught, but that was because I liked their methods better. It wasn't that hard to "unlearn" in order to switch approaches. I will say that when the course ended I didn't have time to solidify things, even with tutoring. My course ran Late March-June for the June 2017 test. I got solid on the concepts and was able to better address my weak areas in the time between June and December.
Thank you. That was my concern about taking a course so close to June. I'm thinking about starting the course and postponing if I'm not "happy" with where I'm at.

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Have you been studying on your own for a year already? Why do you want to take an in-person class so late into your studying?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”