Higher LSAT curves in different regions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
aae97

New

Higher LSAT curves in different regions?

Post by aae97 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 pm

This might be a ridiculous question but, one of my classmates mentioned that taking the LSATs in less populated, less affluent areas in comparison to where we live, would yield a higher curve. If I were to take my LSATs, say, in the middle of nowhere Alabama, rather than in Boston, MA, would the curve be significantly higher? I couldn't find any information online backing this up. I would be taking the June 2018 LSAT, if that matters.

GreenEggs

Gold

Re: Higher LSAT curves in different regions?

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Yeah your friend is totally wrong. First the exam isn’t curved. It’s adjusted before anyone takes it. It’s also across the board the same adjustment so your friends thought makes no sense.

Pretty easy to find info on this.

https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/scale.cfm
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

lolno

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 pm

OP,

You stink.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am

That's not true at all. Your classmate has 0 idea what they're talking about lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Could you imagine if this was true? Lmao like oh shit I have to book a flight out to Washington cause they have -14 curve and the state I’m from has a -9!! “High curve” testing centers would be busting at the seams and low curve areas would be empty

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:54 pm

aae97 wrote:This might be a ridiculous question but, one of my classmates mentioned that taking the LSATs in less populated, less affluent areas in comparison to where we live, would yield a higher curve. If I were to take my LSATs, say, in the middle of nowhere Alabama, rather than in Boston, MA, would the curve be significantly higher? I couldn't find any information online backing this up. I would be taking the June 2018 LSAT, if that matters.
To be fair, the National Merit curve for CollegeBoard for the PSATs is different depending on the region you're in. It doesn't mean that your score is different--a solid score in NY state is the exact same score in AL--but for the sake of being National Merit Semifinalist and/or finalist, different states have different standards. So, like, if you're from a rural region, the score to qualify for National Merit may be a lot lower than it is in, say, NY, NJ, or CA.

I understand the confusion, but no, as everyone has said, on the LSAT, that's not how it works. Just take it wherever is most convenient for you.

Hope that helps!

aae97

New

Post by aae97 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
aae97 wrote:This might be a ridiculous question but, one of my classmates mentioned that taking the LSATs in less populated, less affluent areas in comparison to where we live, would yield a higher curve. If I were to take my LSATs, say, in the middle of nowhere Alabama, rather than in Boston, MA, would the curve be significantly higher? I couldn't find any information online backing this up. I would be taking the June 2018 LSAT, if that matters.
To be fair, the National Merit curve for CollegeBoard for the PSATs is different depending on the region you're in. It doesn't mean that your score is different--a solid score in NY state is the exact same score in AL--but for the sake of being National Merit Semifinalist and/or finalist, different states have different standards. So, like, if you're from a rural region, the score to qualify for National Merit may be a lot lower than it is in, say, NY, NJ, or CA.

I understand the confusion, but no, as everyone has said, on the LSAT, that's not how it works. Just take it wherever is most convenient for you.

Hope that helps!
thanks for the kind and intelligent response! can't believe how rude some of the other replies were LOL

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:23 pm

aae97 wrote:
MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:

Hope that helps!
thanks for the kind and intelligent response! can't believe how rude some of the other replies were LOL
They probably typed all of those rude replies from their mother’s basements. Don’t worry about them!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”