The Official June 2018 Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
acl4wentz

New

Re: The Official June 2018 Study Thread

Post by acl4wentz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Any SF/Bay Area June 2018ers willing to get a study group going? Feel free to pm me. Best of luck to everyone.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 pm

olympia wrote:Wow, I really, *really* hate Game 2 from June 1996.
Just did it. What are your thoughts?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 pm

acl4wentz wrote:Any SF/Bay Area June 2018ers willing to get a study group going? Feel free to pm me. Best of luck to everyone.
Not taking the exam, but I'm in the area and I can be down to proctor. Might motivate me to get work done as well.

NGonzalez

New

Post by NGonzalez » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 am

Hello all!

I've been lurking this thread for a while, but now I can officially say that I plan on taking the LSAT in June! This is the first time I am going to be studying for the exam, and feel excited, anxious, and worried. From what I have read in the thread, this group seems to be very supportive, and I am looking forward to going through the next five months with all of you.

Even after reading this entire thread and other forums, I feel like I don't know where to start. I believe these are the materials I should be using:

LSAT: LSAT Trainer
Logical Reasoning: Manhattan (When I search online, I see multiple versions with different covers. Can someone recommend what version to purchase?)
LG: 7Sage
RC: Trainer/Figuring out what works for me (I believe there are practice tests that go with the trainer, how do I know which ones to purchase? Should I purchase more for when I am doing timed PT?)

Now, where do I start? Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a full-time internship this semester, so I will be busy with that but plan on definitely making time to study.

Thank you all again for your help and for providing this supportive environment. I am looking forward to a great year!!

Morpheus

New

Post by Morpheus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 am

NGonzalez wrote:Hello all!

I've been lurking this thread for a while, but now I can officially say that I plan on taking the LSAT in June! This is the first time I am going to be studying for the exam, and feel excited, anxious, and worried. From what I have read in the thread, this group seems to be very supportive, and I am looking forward to going through the next five months with all of you.

Even after reading this entire thread and other forums, I feel like I don't know where to start. I believe these are the materials I should be using:

Logical Reasoning: Manhattan (When I search online, I see multiple versions with different covers. Can someone recommend what version to purchase?)
RC: Trainer/Figuring out what works for me (I believe there are practice tests that go with the trainer, how do I know which ones to purchase? Should I purchase more for when I am doing timed PT?)

I have a full-time internship this semester, so I will be busy with that but plan on definitely making time to study.

Thank you all again for your help and for providing this supportive environment. I am looking forward to a great year!!
I’m “enjoying” 7sage for LR. It’s finally starting to click for me in a way it never did before. I wouldn’t overlook it, especially if you paid for the CC anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

NGonzalez wrote: Logical Reasoning: Manhattan (When I search online, I see multiple versions with different covers. Can someone recommend what version to purchase?)
This is the most recent.
NGonzalez wrote: Now, where do I start?
Once you have all the materials,
learn fundamentals by going through books and/or the 7Sage curriculum.
I personally would avoid any recent PrepTest questions that may appear as examples because I intend to do those PTs without prior exposure.

Next step is to drill real LSAT questions (preferably from early PTs), particularly games and each question type in logical reasoning.
For the latter, you may find that, since there is a slew of things the section can ask, there are some that inherently take more time to master.
That would be weaken and flaw questions for me in my early stages, but it could be something entirely different for you, such as assumptions.

In that case, drill those even more until you have a firmer grasp.
Depending on how many PTs you plan on getting, you should divide a portion for drills and one strictly for timed.
I got access to all tests, so I have chosen to drill the first 30 because accuracy must come first before worrying about time.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Not that studying after long work days is ever easy, but 7sage with videos/simplistic writing makes it much EASIER to focus even when im exhausted!

doglawin

New

Post by doglawin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello, hello!

I'm looking for some study guidance, particularly, some tips on studying while traveling.

I'm taking my first vacation since graduating last spring. I've been working full-time and was recently promoted in December, so I find myself studying less than I was prior to the promotion- I'm only studying 2 hours each weekday, 5 hours on Saturday (if I'm lucky), and however much my brain allows me to study on Sundays. So, even though I'm taking a two-week vacation, I feel its necessary to keep studying!

I'm going to have limited internet access, so I was wondering what tools any of you in my position might have used for studying? I have some notecards which I will be taking with me. I'm finishing up LR on 7sage, and about to begin watching the LG videos, so I was thinking of downloading the PDF's I have to my iPad and practicing on there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

THANKS!

NGonzalez

New

Post by NGonzalez » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Thank you for all of the advice!

Which version of 7Sage should I purchase? Starter? Premium? Ultimate? Do you suggest I start with the course or the trainer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whelmed

New

Post by whelmed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

Hi ya'll checking in here!!!!!!!!!

I agree w/ the dialogue happening about diagnostics. I think it's useful to see how quickly you are or aren't progressing through your studying but besides that it just unnecessarily freaked me out. I was predictably weakest in LG, strongest in LR, and I think my whole RC score was a fluke because I freaked about the timing and didn't read the passages/tried some SAT methods that obviously don't work for the LSAT (a true waste of effort).

I'm planning on taking the June test. I have super strong softs (lol) but a lower percentile GPA for HYS and think if I can score between 175-180 I can get in . Just a tad bit of pressure :(

I'm planning on going through the LG bibles, then the Blueprint LG book and then Manhattan books (supplementing with any free online resources from 7 sage, etc. I've also really liked the PS videos) + drilling and using the Cambridge explanations and then, of course, PT-ing until the end of time.

I work a full time job but luckily have a good union and get off almost always at 5pm, and am trying to do 20+ hours a week. I'm going to adjust to what ends up being feasible, but after week 1 I'm surviving and my brain isn't dying yet!

If anyone wants to start specific study group email for folks w/ logic game problems or to resource share i'm down!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:Not that studying after long work days is ever easy, but 7sage with videos/simplistic writing makes it much EASIER to focus even when im exhausted!
Same! It’s very convienent, especially for those of us who work full-time.

caropie

New

Post by caropie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm

NGonzalez wrote:Hello all!

Good luck! Here's my plan - First thing, I took a full diagnostic. This is not to indicate your score range necessarily (don't freak), but it introduces you to the test, the time endurance, and more importantly points out your strengths and weaknesses. Then, I have been spending December and January going through all three Manhattan books. I hope to finish those up in a few weeks, then start doing timed PT sections with 7sage's blind review method and thorough, thorough, THOROUGH review of anything I wasn't sure of or got wrong. Once it gets closer, I'll start taking full PTs to make sure I am ready for the several-hour marathon on test day. I am also listening to the "Thinking LSAT" podcast in my free time, playing logic games for fun, and reading the New Yorker to up my reading comprehension and speed with more dense materials like the RC passages. I would maybe start with the LG book as it's the least common sense section, the biggest book, and supposedly the easiest section to improve on. However, I've started mixing working on all 3 books so I don't start to lose any of it.

Feel free to use any or none of my plan, but I think the most important thing is quality over quantity - especially when you start taking PTs. Better to deep dive on what concepts you missed on a PT than to worry about getting a ton of practice sections checked off.

caropie

New

Post by caropie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Question/loose poll regarding reading the Question Stem first for Logical Reasoning questions.

I know most of the major study companies, and lots of people, swear by always reading the question stem first before the stimulus/passage, but the dudes of the Thinking LSAT podcast strongly feel otherwise, and they make a really convincing case for not reading it first. Any thoughts? Does anyone agree with the podcast dudes and read the stimulus then the question stem?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whelmed

New

Post by whelmed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm

caropie wrote:Question/loose poll regarding reading the Question Stem first for Logical Reasoning questions.

I know most of the major study companies, and lots of people, swear by always reading the question stem first before the stimulus/passage, but the dudes of the Thinking LSAT podcast strongly feel otherwise, and they make a really convincing case for not reading it first. Any thoughts? Does anyone agree with the podcast dudes and read the stimulus then the question stem?
I think the "better" as in, more likely to ALWAYS produce the correct answer/not trap you is to read the stimulus first. Reading the question stem will bias your reading and can cause you to look for something specific instead of understanding the structure of the argument and the relationship of its parts. While I think reading the question stem first can work, I think it is not the most thorough method. You also will likely read the stem, then the stimulus, then the stem again, wasting your own time. Understanding the stimulus regardless of the stem is pretty essential to answering a question correctly.

Bottom line: it is not worth the potential time wasted. Even if you're wasting 2-3 seconds by reading the stem twice, that adds up if you are doing it every question or every other question, costing you minutes by the end of the section.

This is echoed in the LRB! Just my 2 cents, obviously what works for your is going to work... for you.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm

"Our belief is that the ABA in March will rule that no standardized tests are necessary for law school admission going forward so long as the school shows compliance with 501 (good admissions standards), but even if this is the case change will be slow and the LSAT will remain the "gold standard" in the next cycle"
- Mike Spivey

whelmed

New

Post by whelmed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 pm

NGonzalez wrote:Thank you for all of the advice!

Which version of 7Sage should I purchase? Starter? Premium? Ultimate? Do you suggest I start with the course or the trainer?
seconding this question! any advice for online courses?

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

whelmed wrote:
NGonzalez wrote:Thank you for all of the advice!

seconding this question! any advice for online courses?
I have ultimate plus but it depends on your budget. Ultimate plus gives you access to all PT's and explanations, as well as the CC and drilling exercises. I have the ultimate plus because 7Sage is my main curriculum, not my complimentary material.

When it comes to question stem v. stimulus, I prefer reading the stem first. The 7Sage curriculum strongly encourages it. That being said, I think it depends- you do what works best for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J Eazy

New

Post by J Eazy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

I just started studying a couple of weeks ago, but so far I think reading the stimulus first is better for me. I think reading the stimulus without thinking about the stem lets me most effectively and efficiently process the argument at hand, in such a way that it remains in my short-term memory when I look at the stem, and thus I can refer back to my memory as I go through the answer choices. On the other hand, I think reading the stem first causes me to read the stimulus in such a way that I'm "interacting" with it too much, so that when I go to the answer choices, I don't have a strong (short-term) memory of what the stimulus says in itself I tried to relate it to the stem too much, so then I have to consistently refer back to the stimulus to eliminate answer choices.

cole558

New

Post by cole558 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Been lurking for a while. Decided that I too will take the June LSAT. I am an older applicant and will only consider part-time programs that allow me to continue working while going to school. My biggest weakness is the logic games section. BY FAR! I took a timed RC section today and missed 5. I also took a timed LR section and missed 5.I attempted LG section and spent over 12 minutes on a simple ordering game. I gave up on rest of LG section. Not sure I can call this a diagnostic but I definitely struggle with LG.

My most recent standardized test experience was GMAT. I took test four times. First score was a 510 (32th percentile). Final score was 690 (86th percentile--96th percentile on verbal; 54 on Quant). This was enough to earn me a full ride at a top 15 b-school, where I graduated two years ago. My concern is that it will be much harder to make similar gains on LSAT.

What is the number one resource that will allow me to improve on LG? So far, I narrowed it down to Manhattan (this is what I used to improve GMAT); 7Sage; and PowerScore Bible. My objective is to be able to finish 3 games in the allotted time, answering at least 16 questions correctly. Thanks all!

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am

cole558 wrote:What is the number one resource that will allow me to improve on LG? So far, I narrowed it down to Manhattan (this is what I used to improve GMAT); 7Sage; and PowerScore Bible. My objective is to be able to finish 3 games in the allotted time, answering at least 16 questions correctly. Thanks all!
7Sage and/or Fox LSAT.
With either, you will hopefully be able to finish the whole section with minutes to spare.

preamble

Bronze

Post by preamble » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am

Checking in! I'll be beginning my study regimen on Monday. I ordered the following off of Amazon:
Preptest 82
Superprep I
Powerscore Bible LG + LR
Manhattan Prep RC

I'm hoping to use the June 07 test as a diagnostic and then go from there. I'm literally terrified of how terribly it might go...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

saraduboi1995

New

Post by saraduboi1995 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:23 am

Are LSAT Podcasts useful for you guys? If so, any recommendations on which ones? I wouldn't mind listening to them in the car to and from work. :)

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 pm

saraduboi1995 wrote:Are LSAT Podcasts useful for you guys? If so, any recommendations on which ones? I wouldn't mind listening to them in the car to and from work. :)
Thinking LSAT, its cool to listen during free times

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
saraduboi1995 wrote:Are LSAT Podcasts useful for you guys? If so, any recommendations on which ones? I wouldn't mind listening to them in the car to and from work. :)
Thinking LSAT, its cool to listen during free times
I've been meaning to check out Thinking LSAT (heard only good things), but in the past Ive listened to the 7Sage ones on youtube with JY and Top Performers and there are always some helpful tidbits in those.

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 am

Chaimthegreat wrote:
olympia wrote:Wow, I really, *really* hate Game 2 from June 1996.
Just did it. What are your thoughts?
I did it last week and didn't find it too awful. It depends on your initial set up more than other games for sure. Thoughts on game 3 of December 2001? I just did it today and it wrecked me

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”