The Official June 2018 Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
J Eazy

New

Re: The Official June 2018 Study Thread

Post by J Eazy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:55 pm

Took a diagnostic a few months ago, and just started studying this week. I started with a strong diagnostic, so I'm going to stick to practice sections and tests, except for when I'm confused or stuck. Bought the LSAT Trainer and PTs 52-82. Going to do 4 sections M-Th and 1 PT each week, taking roughly every 4th week off for drilling/reviewing/relaxing.

peege

New

Post by peege » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm

caropie wrote:
peege wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of PowerScore LR. How do people feel about Manhattan or the LSAT Trainer?
I was leaning toward PS for a few weeks and then changed my mind to Manhattan - bought all three, about halfway through LG and a quarter through LR. I really like them, the concepts have definitely clicked and they do a good job explaining things in a way that is practical, acknowledges how the LSAT writers work, and will stick the most impt parts of the concept in your mind. It's written somewhat conversationally, so they're explaining it well, and lots of visuals to accompany it. There are also a lot of drills throughout, many of which are games or questions taken from past LSATs.

I switched from PS because while they both had die-hards, and both had people that would swear they were awful, the consensus for Manhattan seemed to be that it was geared more toward high-scorers, while PS and others tend to explain the concepts from the bare-bones basics. Hope that helps, once I start taking PTs I will be able to better speak to how good they are. I'm also pairing Manhattan study with 7sage blind review and explanation videos.
Thank you this is what I wanted to know! I need a new approach to fundamentals and PS was just not doing it for me.

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 am

J Eazy wrote:Took a diagnostic a few months ago, and just started studying this week. I started with a strong diagnostic, so I'm going to stick to practice sections and tests, except for when I'm confused or stuck. Bought the LSAT Trainer and PTs 52-82. Going to do 4 sections M-Th and 1 PT each week, taking roughly every 4th week off for drilling/reviewing/relaxing.
First, congrats on a strong diagnostic!! How strong of a diagnostic? If you don’t mind me asking. Mine was a 160. I do not know if that is considered a strong diagnostic or not. I took mine Monday and since have been watching some YouTube LSAT lessons and using the PS LG Bible and going to go through the rest of the books and also do one PT per week. While some of the things I read in the PS book were basics, I still found a lot of useful information. I also plan on reading the Manhattan books as well because I hear great things about both. Even if I read one thing that helps an extra question click for me, I think it’s worth the time. I do not know how much it has helped my score yet, but I will post an update and let you know. Just thought I’d share that I have gotten better at LG with the practice problems in the book so even with a 160 diagnostic (20/24 on LG) I have gotten better with only reading half the book so far (27/30 correct on the Chp 3 practice section).

J Eazy

New

Post by J Eazy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am

Alyssa92 wrote:
J Eazy wrote:Took a diagnostic a few months ago, and just started studying this week. I started with a strong diagnostic, so I'm going to stick to practice sections and tests, except for when I'm confused or stuck. Bought the LSAT Trainer and PTs 52-82. Going to do 4 sections M-Th and 1 PT each week, taking roughly every 4th week off for drilling/reviewing/relaxing.
First, congrats on a strong diagnostic!! How strong of a diagnostic? If you don’t mind me asking. Mine was a 160. I do not know if that is considered a strong diagnostic or not. I took mine Monday and since have been watching some YouTube LSAT lessons and using the PS LG Bible and going to go through the rest of the books and also do one PT per week. While some of the things I read in the PS book were basics, I still found a lot of useful information. I also plan on reading the Manhattan books as well because I hear great things about both. Even if I read one thing that helps an extra question click for me, I think it’s worth the time. I do not know how much it has helped my score yet, but I will post an update and let you know. Just thought I’d share that I have gotten better at LG with the practice problems in the book so even with a 160 diagnostic (20/24 on LG) I have gotten better with only reading half the book so far (27/30 correct on the Chp 3 practice section).
Thanks! My diagnostic was 170 and I'm aiming for 177-180. I'm watching the 7Sage logic game videos as I go, mostly to see how my initial diagramming compares to their's, and then just consulting Manhattan Prep's forums for input on RC and LR questions I was less than 99% sure about. If my score begins to stagnate I'll definitely look for more help from outside sources.

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

J Eazy wrote:
Alyssa92 wrote:
Thanks! My diagnostic was 170 and I'm aiming for 177-180. I'm watching the 7Sage logic game videos as I go, mostly to see how my initial diagramming compares to their's, and then just consulting Manhattan Prep's forums for input on RC and LR questions I was less than 99% sure about. If my score begins to stagnate I'll definitely look for more help from outside sources.
Fantastic! I will definitely look into the 7Sage videos too. Had not found those yet. There is so much information out there that it is hard to choose where to start. Hope they help you get up to that range! My goal range is 175-180 so similar. Good luck :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

J Eazy

New

Post by J Eazy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Alyssa92 wrote:
J Eazy wrote:
Alyssa92 wrote:
Fantastic! I will definitely look into the 7Sage videos too. Had not found those yet. There is so much information out there that it is hard to choose where to start. Hope they help you get up to that range! My goal range is 175-180 so similar. Good luck :)
Thanks, good luck to you too!

choul13

New

Post by choul13 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi there,

After reading through the posts on this forum for the past few months I have decided to make an account and join in the study groups since it seemed to be a source of help/support I hadn't tapped into yet.

I recently took the December exam and scored a 169 and I had been doing nothing else but studying for the test for 8 weeks leading up to the test. I thought that would be enough to score in the mid-high 170s, since my practice tests were between 168-173 but in the end I didn't reach that goal and so I'd like to try again because I have a 3.9 GPA and I really don't want my score on this test to hold me back from the schools I hope to get into. (Also, an important sidenote--these 8 weeks were not the first time I had studied for the test. I had practiced maybe twice a week during the fall of 2016 to take the test in December 2016 but ended up not taking it. That's just to say that I was familiar with the test going into this intensive 8-week study period, so I'm not sure how much more I can study and improve...) Trying again until June just seems somewhat grueling and anxiety-producing and I have a few worries though that I was hoping those on this forum might be able to help me with:

1. June seems so far away...I feel that studying until then could either burn me out or prepare me very well, but to reach the latter option, how do I ensure I don't get burned out? Does anyone have any tips for this? I'm more of a "last-minute extreme push" kind of person, but I know that's not optimal for the LSAT, so I wonder how to overcome that.

2. I scored perfectly on the LG section, -1 on the RC section, and -12 on LR. I rarely get -12 on the LR section, and typically I get about -6 on the RC section, so I'm thinking that maybe they made this test's RC section easier and the LR section harder? The problem is that I didn't think many of the LR questions were particularly hard, (except for about 2-3 that I knew I got wrong), so how do I improve that? I feel that LR is the hardest to improve because there is less consistency in the questions and it's harder for me to see some of the flaws since I commit them every day in my own logic. I feel like I'm not a very logical person and although I was able to learn LG and RC, LR seems the hardest....I welcome any tips for improving that! And if that's the only section I have to improve, is it overkill to study until June? Furthermore, I'm not sure I can do just LSAT until June..I think I need to get some type of part-time job or internship but will that take away my focus for this test/ would that perhaps be detrimental to my score instead of helpful?

3. I did the TestMasters course but I'm not sure how to study next on my own...I already know the basics to tackling the test but since I have only looked into courses I'm not sure what the best option is for self study. I see suggestions like LSAT trainer, the powerscore bibles, Manhattan, the official LSAT tests, but I'm not sure what to do in my case, so if anyone has been in a similar situation and has any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it!

4. In terms of improvement, I'm very worried that I might put in all this effort and that there might only be a point or two of improvement....does anyone have/ has anyone else received good advice responding to this worry?

5. Lastly, I've heard/read that having a study partner is very important and could be very helpful, so if anyone is looking for that online, I'd be happy to chat!

acl4wentz

New

Post by acl4wentz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 am

Hey everyone, checking in! Looking forward to this odyssey with everyone. It will be my first time taking the exam and based on my diagnostic I've got a ways to go...Anyone else studying while working full-time? Also - Bay Area homies hmu.

wbwhitman

New

Post by wbwhitman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Checking in. Previously took LSAT in Sept. For those asking about test prep materials, I am not a LG Bible fan. I feel like it's only good for a very general intro. I really felt like it was a waste of my time.

My problem from the beginning was timing--not accuracy. I found 7sage's problem sets and lessons to be most helpful. I went from only finishing 3 games to getting -1 on my LSAT due to a careless error--not time. I would definitely plan on drilling a whole bunch of different categories of games in the month leading up to the test. I took some time off after the Sept LSAT, and timing is a struggle again so the speech doesn't really last. Being recently familiar with the game types was the best thing for me.

I like 7sage's other materials as well and have found the LSAT Trainer to be helpful in all categories. I'm planning on doing Manhattan to prep more for June.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm

peege wrote: I feel like I'm a more formulaic thinker and want to know exactly why some answers are right and some answers are wrong, and PS is a little too general for my way of thinking. So anything with more examples would be ideal for me. And I didn't even know the difference between SA and NA until finding TLS after my first LSAT take. Some internet research fixed my problem with assumption questions so fast. It makes me mad I spent so much time on that section in the PS book.
Then I would rly suggest 7Sage LR explanations. It takes you step by step about why all the wrong AC have faulty logic. It helps you see patterns so u will recognize the logic when it comes up again. I think some of the videos are free so you can see if it’s something that might work for you.

chekhovs_pun

New

Post by chekhovs_pun » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Just had quite the drop off on the LG section. Went from -14 to -7. High chance it's an outlier but I definitely took a different approach this time around. I skipped the hard game and came back to it as well as the rule bending questions. Just something to keep in mind as you go forward. I was always focused on doing the section in a linear manner but you don't have to.

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:28 pm

acl4wentz wrote:Hey everyone, checking in! Looking forward to this odyssey with everyone. It will be my first time taking the exam and based on my diagnostic I've got a ways to go...Anyone else studying while working full-time? Also - Bay Area homies hmu.

I am studying while working full time and doing 9 credit hours every 8 weeks to finish my bachelors by November. It’s a rough schedule but will be worth it! This was my first week studying and was atleast able to study for 3 hours a day which I think is enough but not too much to get burned out by June. Good luck with juggling both as well!

Alyssa

J Eazy

New

Post by J Eazy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Just took PT62, 5 sections and timed. Did really well on RC and LR but holy crap LG was insanely hard. I've taken 2 other LG sections and went -2 or better on both. Went -11 on this one.
Last edited by J Eazy on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Also I'm not sure if this is some form of forum treason but Tuesday a group of June18ers are going over PT44 via GoTomeeting. Here's the event
https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussi ... -30-pm-est

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:19 pm

wbwhitman wrote:Checking in. Previously took LSAT in Sept. For those asking about test prep materials, I am not a LG Bible fan. I feel like it's only good for a very general intro. I really felt like it was a waste of my time.

My problem from the beginning was timing--not accuracy. I found 7sage's problem sets and lessons to be most helpful. I went from only finishing 3 games to getting -1 on my LSAT due to a careless error--not time. I would definitely plan on drilling a whole bunch of different categories of games in the month leading up to the test. I took some time off after the Sept LSAT, and timing is a struggle again so the speech doesn't really last. Being recently familiar with the game types was the best thing for me.

I like 7sage's other materials as well and have found the LSAT Trainer to be helpful in all categories. I'm planning on doing Manhattan to prep more for June.
What are your thoughts to 7Sage’s approach to LR and RC? I’m tempted to purchase a 7Sage course for those two sections, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

Would I get more insight on LR from 7Sage that I don’t otherwise get from the Manhattan LR, The LSAT Trainer, and the Manhattan LR forum?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm

olympia wrote:
wbwhitman wrote:Checking in. Previously took LSAT in Sept. For those asking about test prep materials, I am not a LG Bible fan. I feel like it's only good for a very general intro. I really felt like it was a waste of my time.

What are your thoughts to 7Sage’s approach to LR and RC? I’m tempted to purchase a 7Sage course for those two sections, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

Would I get more insight on LR from 7Sage that I don’t otherwise get from the Manhattan LR, The LSAT Trainer, and the Manhattan LR forum?
I think i mentioned this earlier and havent gotten really deep into yet, but I ended up buying the 7sage course. Feel liike it will be. LR that is and I hear RC just depends on the person. Regardless in all categories Im banking on JY just explaining some simple things in his way like he does in LG videos and it just clicking more with me.

Once i get on the full grind (which i need to A$AP) i can let you know how it compares.

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Just took my second PT. It had been a week since my 1st. I scored a 160 last week and 165 today. What is the normal fluctuation you all have found between PTs? I just don’t want to be too excited about the 5 point jump if this kind of fluctuation is normal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Also I know its a long shot, but I'm looking for study partners in the Spokane area or anyone who wants to do it online. I swear I'm not a creep

peege

New

Post by peege » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Alyssa92 wrote:Just took my second PT. It had been a week since my 1st. I scored a 160 last week and 165 today. What is the normal fluctuation you all have found between PTs? I just don’t want to be too excited about the 5 point jump if this kind of fluctuation is normal.
You should be proud!! But PTs do fluctuate, so make sure you’re really reviewing your PTs and understanding your mistakes so you can move forward and get another increase!

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 am

peege wrote:
Alyssa92 wrote:Just took my second PT. It had been a week since my 1st. I scored a 160 last week and 165 today. What is the normal fluctuation you all have found between PTs? I just don’t want to be too excited about the 5 point jump if this kind of fluctuation is normal.
You should be proud!! But PTs do fluctuate, so make sure you’re really reviewing your PTs and understanding your mistakes so you can move forward and get another increase!
Thank you!! That gives me some confidence. I definitely plan to go back and review my wrong answers and why they’re wrong. Hopefully next week the increase continues! I have been putting atleast 3 hours of studying in a day on top of a very demanding schedule. I have literally used every free minute to study so I was hoping it was paying off atleast a little. Thank you for a little reassurance.

Alyssa

Skadidas

New

Post by Skadidas » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:02 am

Hey guys, tested and did horribly last exam so hoping to have a better chance this time around. Will be purchasing the Blueprint online course so I'll let you all know how it is!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acl4wentz

New

Post by acl4wentz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:57 am

Alyssa92 wrote:
acl4wentz wrote:Hey everyone, checking in! Looking forward to this odyssey with everyone. It will be my first time taking the exam and based on my diagnostic I've got a ways to go...Anyone else studying while working full-time? Also - Bay Area homies hmu.

I am studying while working full time and doing 9 credit hours every 8 weeks to finish my bachelors by November. It’s a rough schedule but will be worth it! This was my first week studying and was atleast able to study for 3 hours a day which I think is enough but not too much to get burned out by June. Good luck with juggling both as well!

Alyssa
That's extremely impressive. I'm stressing out about studying three hours a day after work and I'm free from academic obligations. We'll get through this together! Good luck!

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:30 pm

acl4wentz wrote:
Alyssa92 wrote:

Alyssa
That's extremely impressive. I'm stressing out about studying three hours a day after work and I'm free from academic obligations. We'll get through this together! Good luck!
It is tough, but yes! We will get through this together!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:07 am

Still working on LG. I’ve been so busy with work and interning that I haven’t been able to study as much. I will be starting LR drilling next week, and I think I’ll be purchasing a 7Sage course for that and RC, which I want to start drilling soon as well.

I’m hoping to spend about two months drilling LR and RC and then spend the remaining months just PTing.

I’m a little bit behind schedule. I wish I had the option to quit work and just study for this test full-time. Sigh.

Gator19

New

Post by Gator19 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:16 pm

olympia wrote:Still working on LG. I’ve been so busy with work and interning that I haven’t been able to study as much. I will be starting LR drilling next week, and I think I’ll be purchasing a 7Sage course for that and RC, which I want to start drilling soon as well.

I’m hoping to spend about two months drilling LR and RC and then spend the remaining months just PTing.

I’m a little bit behind schedule. I wish I had the option to quit work and just study for this test full-time. Sigh.
Checking in! I'm on the same boat, I literally work 45 hours a week, plus taking 17 credits (UF-Online). I have purchased the lsat trainer and should be making a final decision on 7sage by next week, hopefully these two things will be enough. I graduate next Spring so I could at least have multiple attempts at the lsat before admission.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”