The Official June 2018 Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Logic

New

The Official June 2018 Study Thread

Post by Logic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes, I know. It might be too early to begin a LSAT prep thread for June 2018, since there isn't even a set date for the test yet. Nonetheless, I felt the need to start one. I was initially aiming to take the LSAT for the first time in February but I soon realized (thankfully) that this goal was unrealistic. Though it's not entirely impossible, I know it won't be possible for me. Therefore, I set out to begin studying for the June 2018 test. If there's anyone out there planning on taking the test in June, please feel free to join this thread. I think it would be extremely helpful if we can motivate each other and share study strategies.

Important dates and deadlines:
-Regular Registration May 1
-Regular Registration Accommodation Request May 1
-Photo Upload May 25th
-Registration Refund (partial only) May 15
-Registration Withdrawal June 10
-TEST DATE: Monday, June 11, be there by 12:30am
Last edited by Logic on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chaimthegreat

New

Re: June 2018 Prep

Post by Chaimthegreat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Checking in! Hope everyone is ready for a great year!

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi guys,

Since there's a lot of time left before the test date, I'm considering taking a tunneled vision approach to studying. The aim is to focus on mastering a section before moving on to the next. For example, my best and favorite section of the test is the logic games. I see a lot of potential for improvement here, so I've decided to focus solely on the logic games section for the next few weeks. I plan on reading through the entire logic games bible so as to learn the fundamentals before taking on drills. I have a pretty solid logic background and I think it would help me cement the foundation before moving on to the next sections.

I chose to take this approach because I noticed that whenever I take a LG section untimed, I usually get no more than 3 wrong. This led me to conclude that, the time constraint is what I am struggling with. If I can train myself to increase my speed without giving up my accuracy, I am confident that I would do really well on LG.

What are everyone's thought on this approach? Could this lead to burnout? Any suggestions on how to do this efficiently?

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I think your approach is standard/fine.
I also started with LG in the first phase of my studies.
Has taken me perhaps a month to get everything down.
Afterwards, I moved on to LR, which took a little longer.

PS. After you learn the fundamentals,
I recommend mixing the three instead of focusing solely on one section just to make sure you do not get rusty in any department.

PPS. June cannot come quickly enough!

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:21 pm

What prep material are people using (or have used if this is a retake?) I'm using powerscore bibles and 7sage- but I'm interested in hearing about other approaches.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Checking in!!! We gotta ace that June LSAT folks

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Checking in! I need a 173+. Let's do this!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:What prep material are people using (or have used if this is a retake?) I'm using powerscore bibles and 7sage- but I'm interested in hearing about other approaches.
I'm using Manhattan for LR, the Trainer for RC, and 7Sage videos for LG. I've studied everything so far, but I'm working on the sections individually for now. I'm drilling LG by type untimed, and I'll start on both LR and RC in January some time. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I sound coordinated, but I feel a bit lost.

This will be my first LSAT take, by the way.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 pm

As for now, I'm taking Blueprint but I'm probably gonna try the LSAT Trainer, the Biles or 7Sage

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Logic wrote:Yes, I know. It might be too early to begin a LSAT prep thread for June 2018, since there isn't even a set date for the test yet. Nonetheless, I felt the need to start one. I was initially aiming to take the LSAT for the first time in February but I soon realized (thankfully) that this goal was unrealistic. Though it's not entirely impossible, I know it won't be possible for me. Therefore, I set out to begin studying for the June 2018 test. If there's anyone out there planning on taking the test in June, please feel free to join this thread. I think it would be extremely helpful if we can motivate each other and share study strategies.
I'd advise changing your OP title to "The Official June 2018 Study Thread" since that seems to be your intent with this post.

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Deardevil wrote:I think your approach is standard/fine.
I also started with LG in the first phase of my studies.
Has taken me perhaps a month to get everything down.
Afterwards, I moved on to LR, which took a little longer.

PS. After you learn the fundamentals,
I recommend mixing the three instead of focusing solely on one section just to make sure you do not get rusty in any department.

PPS. June cannot come quickly enough!
Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to mix the three sections once I'm comfortable with the fundamentals.

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:What prep material are people using (or have used if this is a retake?) I'm using powerscore bibles and 7sage- but I'm interested in hearing about other approaches.
I'm definitely going with 7sage with the help of the power score books. I used it a while back and I liked the style.

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm

olympia wrote:Checking in! I need a 173+. Let's do this!
Same here. Let's go!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

olympia

New

Re: The Official June 2018 Study Thread

Post by olympia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am

I spent the weekend drilling LG untimed from the PS LG game type book (PT 1-20). I went through all of the Grouping games, and I still don’t understand the third game from Feb. 1995 (the birds one). I just did some Basic Linear games and I totally bombed them and went way over the five-minute limit I have for all Basic Linear games. I think I need a break?

I want to have LG completely done by the end of the month so that I can concentrate on LR and RC, but I don’t know if I can manage that since I work full-time.

My LSAC GPA is a 3.1, so I really need that 173+. I cancelled my Netflix account today and got off social media to concentrate solely on studying for this test. I really want to be a freaking lawyer.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am

olympia wrote:I spent the weekend drilling LG untimed from the PS LG game type book (PT 1-20). I went through all of the Grouping games, and I still don’t understand the third game from Feb. 1995 (the birds one).
The game asks you to group at most two male and female pairs of the same kind of bird, so I would write "max 2" in the in-group.
The out-groups consist of two cages that hold a maximum of four birds each, so I write "max 4" in both cages or perhaps spread eight blanks.

The rules stipulate that the same sex of the same kind cannot be caged together,
so the cages cannot have both J and K, both T and W, and two of any combination of Q, R, or S.
Well, since Q, R, AND S cannot occupy both cages, then Q, R, OR S must be exhibited, so I write "Q/R/S and "T/W" in the in-group.
Finally, if I see a J or W exhibited, I better not see S there as well, so I write "J/W -> /S" on the in-group side.

After you set up nicely, the questions are a piece of cake.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:46 pm

I am taking a break from LSAT for a week for undergrad finals. I will have all winter break to circulate through the curriculum and drill. On my diagnostic, my LG section was the worst so I will probably start with that. Took a really light spring semester for the LSAT too. Anyone else have experience studying for the test while in college?

Asst2theRegManager

New

Post by Asst2theRegManager » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Checking in! Hopefully.. this will be my first take. I have the PS bibles, the trainer, and a Manhattan book or 2. Not going to lie, my test anxiety is something that I struggle with the most. Anyways, I’m planning on taking my diagnostic this week to see where I’m at.

How are all of you? Plans for the holidays?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Deardevil wrote:
olympia wrote:I spent the weekend drilling LG untimed from the PS LG game type book (PT 1-20). I went through all of the Grouping games, and I still don’t understand the third game from Feb. 1995 (the birds one).
The game asks you to group at most two male and female pairs of the same kind of bird, so I would write "max 2" in the in-group.
The out-groups consist of two cages that hold a maximum of four birds each, so I write "max 4" in both cages or perhaps spread eight blanks.

The rules stipulate that the same sex of the same kind cannot be caged together,
so the cages cannot have both J and K, both T and W, and two of any combination of Q, R, or S.
Well, since Q, R, AND S cannot occupy both cages, then Q, R, OR S must be exhibited, so I write "Q/R/S and "T/W" in the in-group.
Finally, if I see a J or W exhibited, I better not see S there as well, so I write "J/W -> /S" on the in-group side.

After you set up nicely, the questions are a piece of cake.
Thank you. I re-did the game today, and I got all of the answers correct, though I sat there for about twenty minutes trying to figure it out. It is a simple game once you catch the parakeet inference. This shouldn’t have been such a difficult game for me. I think I was over-thinking it last night. Do you know if there are any other LG problems that are similar to this one?

Exactly six more months until test day!
Last edited by olympia on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Asst2theRegManager wrote:Checking in! Hopefully.. this will be my first take. I have the PS bibles, the trainer, and a Manhattan book or 2. Not going to lie, my test anxiety is something that I struggle with the most. Anyways, I’m planning on taking my diagnostic this week to see where I’m at.

I have really bad test anxiety as well. I’m terrified I will choke on test day, but I’m going to try and do the test in a public area several times before test day to reduce my anxiety.

Not too many plans except for studying, honestly.

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am

Chaimthegreat wrote:I am taking a break from LSAT for a week for undergrad finals. I will have all winter break to circulate through the curriculum and drill. On my diagnostic, my LG section was the worst so I will probably start with that. Took a really light spring semester for the LSAT too. Anyone else have experience studying for the test while in college?
I tried studying for the LSAT while I was in school and it didn't work out for me. I don't think I was disciplined enough to stay consistent with my school work and simultaneously study for the LSAT. For this reason, I decided to wait till I could dedicate more time to it.

I'm not discouraging studying while in college, as you might be more disciplined than I am. I would only advice that you should be careful not to dedicate less time to school work because of the LSAT.

PS: Winter break would definitely be a great time to get some LSAT studying done.

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am

Asst2theRegManager wrote:Checking in! Hopefully.. this will be my first take. I have the PS bibles, the trainer, and a Manhattan book or 2. Not going to lie, my test anxiety is something that I struggle with the most. Anyways, I’m planning on taking my diagnostic this week to see where I’m at.

Test anxiety sucks. Hopefully, with enough practice in public, you'd be able to overcome it. Goodluck on the diagnostic!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy the second volume (PTs 21-40) of the PowerScore LG Game Type Training? PowerScore stopped printing the book and I only see it on eBay for $100+. That’s just way too expensive for me.

If I can’t get the book, are there any workarounds for studying LG properly without these games?

jde5048

New

Post by jde5048 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Checking in.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Checking in(ish). Depends on how my cycle shakes out moneywise.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:36 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:Checking in(ish). Depends on how my cycle shakes out moneywise.
Didn't you already get into Berkeley?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”