The Official June 2018 Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
olympia

New

Re: The Official June 2018 Study Thread

Post by olympia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:19 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
olympia wrote:I woke up with another migraine, so all my study plans went out the window again :(. I finally get some time off of work, giving me time to study, and... nope. :(
You should just try to study 1 hour every single day if you can.

On another note, I can't believe I wasted my money on a Blueprint course. Folks Blueprint ain't the way to go, trust me! :cry:
I try and study about 3-4 hours after work and about 10 hours during the weekend, but when my migraines hit, I can’t even study an hour.

Have you tried 7Sage?

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Congrats to us having the same number of post pages as the February group. Let’s stay motivated, everyone. :D

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 pm

olympia wrote:
ThaBlackLord wrote:
olympia wrote:I woke up with another migraine, so all my study plans went out the window again :(. I finally get some time off of work, giving me time to study, and... nope. :(

On another note, I can't believe I wasted my money on a Blueprint course. Folks Blueprint ain't the way to go, trust me! :cry:
I try and study about 3-4 hours after work and about 10 hours during the weekend, but when my migraines hit, I can’t even study an hour.

Have you tried 7Sage?
I'm almost done with the BP curriculum so Imma finish it and jump on 7Sage. I've already watched a couple of their videos and they do a better job...in my opinion at least

chekhovs_pun

New

Post by chekhovs_pun » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Man am I glad to see this thread up. I thought I might be jumping the gun. I look forward to tackling this test with you guys.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
olympia wrote:
ThaBlackLord wrote:

Have you tried 7Sage?
I'm almost done with the BP curriculum so Imma finish it and jump on 7Sage. I've already watched a couple of their videos and they do a better job...in my opinion at least
I just started 7Sage and really liking it so far. Utilized the LG videos in previous prep and loved it and so far Im finding the LR to be helpful as well! For me at least, the videos really cater to my learning style. Should have pulled the trigger on 7sage earlier on lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
ThaBlackLord wrote:
olympia wrote:
ThaBlackLord wrote:

Have you tried 7Sage?
I just started 7Sage and really liking it so far. Utilized the LG videos in previous prep and loved it and so far Im finding the LR to be helpful as well! For me at least, the videos really cater to my learning style. Should have pulled the trigger on 7sage earlier on lol

Plus you can speed him up or slow him down. You can also customize the curriculum. Is this a retake for most people here?

legallycurly23

New

Post by legallycurly23 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:36 am

Hi, checking in for the June test! New but I've been reading TLS for a long long time. TLS has gotten me through so much of my law school prep throughout my undergrad career. I'm still on winter break so I've been trying to get through the logic games bible. I'm a junior with a 3.95 GPA aiming for T14 ...... with money. And I'm not URM but I'm Middle Eastern (North African). I'm aiming high for the LSAT but studying has been discouraging me a little bit, which sucks. I'm having a rough start to logic games, anyone in the same boat? Hoping to finish at least skimming the basics of LG in the bible and then take a diagnostic.

I'm really hopeful for doing well on this test and our study journey! I personally have scheduled my classes for JUST Tuesdays and Thursdays with MWF open to schedule in LOTS of study time, as well as some studying on the weekends hopefully.

Feels good to finally post after having spent so much time reading through the forums and not even being registered! It's game time!!!!

Vertigo

New

Post by Vertigo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:50 am

legallycurly23 wrote:Hi, checking in for the June test! New but I've been reading TLS for a long long time. TLS has gotten me through so much of my law school prep throughout my undergrad career. I'm still on winter break so I've been trying to get through the logic games bible. I'm a junior with a 3.95 GPA aiming for T14 ...... with money. And I'm not URM but I'm Middle Eastern (North African). I'm aiming high for the LSAT but studying has been discouraging me a little bit, which sucks. I'm having a rough start to logic games, anyone in the same boat? Hoping to finish at least skimming the basics of LG in the bible and then take a diagnostic.

I'm really hopeful for doing well on this test and our study journey! I personally have scheduled my classes for JUST Tuesdays and Thursdays with MWF open to schedule in LOTS of study time, as well as some studying on the weekends hopefully.

Feels good to finally post after having spent so much time reading through the forums and not even being registered! It's game time!!!!
I have definitely been having a hard time with logic games. I am focusing on improving my basic understanding of the different game types and then will move on to improving timing! I get the idea that's what a lot of people tend to do :D

We have a little more than 5 months left of studying to do, so don't be discouraged! T-14 with money is a more than attainable goal especially if you keep your GPA up and dominate the LSAT. Also, keep in mind that you can retake in Sept/Dec if you are dissatisfied with your score.

legallycurly23

New

Post by legallycurly23 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 am

Vertigo wrote:
legallycurly23 wrote:Hi, checking in for the June test! New but I've been reading TLS for a long long time. TLS has gotten me through so much of my law school prep throughout my undergrad career. I'm still on winter break so I've been trying to get through the logic games bible. I'm a junior with a 3.95 GPA aiming for T14 ...... with money. And I'm not URM but I'm Middle Eastern (North African). I'm aiming high for the LSAT but studying has been discouraging me a little bit, which sucks. I'm having a rough start to logic games, anyone in the same boat? Hoping to finish at least skimming the basics of LG in the bible and then take a diagnostic.

I have definitely been having a hard time with logic games. I am focusing on improving my basic understanding of the different game types and then will move on to improving timing! I get the idea that's what a lot of people tend to do :D

We have a little more than 5 months left of studying to do, so don't be discouraged! T-14 with money is a more than attainable goal especially if you keep your GPA up and dominate the LSAT. Also, keep in mind that you can retake in Sept/Dec if you are dissatisfied with your score.
5 months seems so short when I keep getting questions wrong but you're right! I'm all in.
Hopefully I can power through the LGB and then do the Fool Proof method and watch a lot of 7sage videos. I'm trying to figure out a solid study schedule right now actually!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Logic

New

Post by Logic » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:

Why is that?

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:
Alyssa92 wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
Alyssa92 wrote:Checking in for the June 2018 test! And looking for a study partner if anyone lives in the Dayton/Cincinnati, Ohio area. I took my first PT today as a cold diagnostic and scored a 160. I am aiming for a 175-180. Good luck everyone! We can do this :)
From that neck of the woods originally, I love Ohio!
Really?! From what part? It is 4 degrees here right now so I am not really living it. Lol
Without too much detail I'm from the central part lol. I went to Dayton every summer though! I no longer live there but I think it's freezing everywhere right now.
I guess this is true. I just grew up in Louisiana and the cold is the only part I hate about Ohio...

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 pm

If at all possible, I would try to study anyways. :) I took my test on Monday while sick. While it may have slowed me down, I think it also showed me that if I wake up sick the day of the test I can still do it. Even if it is just studying for an hour or so, it may be one more way to help prepare your brain and body for the mental marathon.

Alyssa92

New

Post by Alyssa92 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 pm

chekhovs_pun wrote:Man am I glad to see this thread up. I thought I might be jumping the gun. I look forward to tackling this test with you guys.
I felt the same way!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

peege

New

Post by peege » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of PowerScore LR. How do people feel about Manhattan or the LSAT Trainer?

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm

peege wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of PowerScore LR. How do people feel about Manhattan or the LSAT Trainer?
I'm like three quarters of the way done with the PS LR and I feel the same way. Someone earlier in the thread recommended Manhattan as it really does a better job with sufficient and necessary conditions than PS LR did, but I'm leaning LSAT Trainer since I like how it incorporates the tests.

peege

New

Post by peege » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:41 pm

NotLawDog wrote:
peege wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of PowerScore LR. How do people feel about Manhattan or the LSAT Trainer?
I'm like three quarters of the way done with the PS LR and I feel the same way. Someone earlier in the thread recommended Manhattan as it really does a better job with sufficient and necessary conditions than PS LR did, but I'm leaning LSAT Trainer since I like how it incorporates the tests.
I feel like I'm a more formulaic thinker and want to know exactly why some answers are right and some answers are wrong, and PS is a little too general for my way of thinking. So anything with more examples would be ideal for me. And I didn't even know the difference between SA and NA until finding TLS after my first LSAT take. Some internet research fixed my problem with assumption questions so fast. It makes me mad I spent so much time on that section in the PS book.

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm

peege wrote:
NotLawDog wrote:
I feel like I'm a more formulaic thinker and want to know exactly why some answers are right and some answers are wrong, and PS is a little too general for my way of thinking. So anything with more examples would be ideal for me. And I didn't even know the difference between SA and NA until finding TLS after my first LSAT take. Some internet research fixed my problem with assumption questions so fast. It makes me mad I spent so much time on that section in the PS book.
Mind expanding on what your problem was and what resource fixed it? I'm struggling the exact same thing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

peege

New

Post by peege » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 pm

NotLawDog wrote: Mind expanding on what your problem was and what resource fixed it? I'm struggling the exact same thing
I think my biggest issue was that in PS they call them “assumption” and “justify the conclusion” questions, but I didn’t really differentiate the question stems, so I would try to negate the Sufficient Assumption questions, which doesn’t work. Calling them Necessary and Sufficient just cleared up what the question is looking for, and then helped me understand the pattern. I found the articles on Lawschooli helpful, and I think I also found some TLS posts, but couldn’t tell you what they were.

peege

New

Post by peege » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:42 pm

peege wrote:
NotLawDog wrote: Mind expanding on what your problem was and what resource fixed it? I'm struggling the exact same thing
I think my biggest issue was that in PS they call them “assumption” and “justify the conclusion” questions, but I didn’t really differentiate the question stems, so I would try to negate the Sufficient Assumption questions, which doesn’t work. Calling them Necessary and Sufficient just cleared up what the question is looking for, and then helped me understand the pattern. I found the articles on Lawschooli helpful, and I think I also found some TLS posts, but couldn’t tell you what they were.
Also want to add that for NA I would write out the negation to start. After awhile the correct answer became obvious, whereas before I would just get confused.

chekhovs_pun

New

Post by chekhovs_pun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 pm

I know y'all were talking about PS LR but how are y'all feeling about PS LG? I just finished the book (skipped the horrendous sequencing section) and looking to see if there are better alternatives. The sequencing section was not ideal but everything else seemed fine. I suppose I could use some work on games that include linear and grouping. But who knows, maybe it's practice that is needed and not another book.

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:21 pm

peege wrote:
peege wrote:
Also want to add that for NA I would write out the negation to start. After awhile the correct answer became obvious, whereas before I would just get confused.
I feel the same way about PS LR and not knowing there was even a difference between NA and SA questions until I read Manhattan LR. This speaks volumes about the quality of the PS LR Bible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

peege

New

Post by peege » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 pm

chekhovs_pun wrote:I know y'all were talking about PS LR but how are y'all feeling about PS LG? I just finished the book (skipped the horrendous sequencing section) and looking to see if there are better alternatives. The sequencing section was not ideal but everything else seemed fine. I suppose I could use some work on games that include linear and grouping. But who knows, maybe it's practice that is needed and not another book.
I like PS's diagramming. I'm a very visual learner, but I've also heard that if LG-type thinking comes naturally to you then PS's method can be frustrating. LG took about a month of good practice in order for me to get the hang of it, and then get timing where it needed to be.

Deardevil

Bronze

Post by Deardevil » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am

chekhovs_pun wrote:I know y'all were talking about PS LR but how are y'all feeling about PS LG? I just finished the book (skipped the horrendous sequencing section) and looking to see if there are better alternatives. The sequencing section was not ideal but everything else seemed fine. I suppose I could use some work on games that include linear and grouping. But who knows, maybe it's practice that is needed and not another book.
LG is okay, but if you want an alternative, 7Sage is much better.
You can pick up little things just by watching free videos for particular games.

caropie

New

Post by caropie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:06 pm

olympia wrote:^ Thank you for the clarification.

I have a four-day weekend coming up. I’ll be be finishing up drilling LG untimed and then I’ll start drilling LG from PTs 21-40 timed. (It should only take me about two days to re-drill LG from PTs 1-20 timed ten times each? I need to do that before beginning PTs 21-40.) I should be starting with untimed LR drilling next week as well. I’ll be drilling by type. I’m not sure if I should start drilling RC every other day as well. Any suggestions? RC will be my toughest section and I want to start on it ASAP.

(I’ve been solely focusing on LG drilling for about a month or so now, FYI.)
Wow! That's a lot... 80 games 10 times each in two days?? That's like hundreds of hours is it not? Am I missing something? Either way, I'm not sure how many Qs you are getting wrong on these sections, but you may want to consider spending your time deep diving into explanations on Qs or game set-ups you tripped up on, get more quality out of your time instead of whipping through them - smarter not harder, if you will. Just a thought, as this seems like an immense amount of repetitive practice.

caropie

New

Post by caropie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 pm

I was leaning toward PS for a few weeks and then changed my mind to Manhattan - bought all three, about halfway through LG and a quarter through LR. I really like them, the concepts have definitely clicked and they do a good job explaining things in a way that is practical, acknowledges how the LSAT writers work, and will stick the most impt parts of the concept in your mind. It's written somewhat conversationally, so they're explaining it well, and lots of visuals to accompany it. There are also a lot of drills throughout, many of which are games or questions taken from past LSATs.

I switched from PS because while they both had die-hards, and both had people that would swear they were awful, the consensus for Manhattan seemed to be that it was geared more toward high-scorers, while PS and others tend to explain the concepts from the bare-bones basics. Hope that helps, once I start taking PTs I will be able to better speak to how good they are. I'm also pairing Manhattan study with 7sage blind review and explanation videos.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”