Bombed Dec lsat. Retake in Feb-- wait to apply?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Bombed Dec lsat. Retake in Feb-- wait to apply?

Postby Jm0987 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm

2.98 GPA.
Have been PTing at between 166-172. Last few weeks leading up to the December lsat I was PTing lower at an average of 165.

Basically, my LR is pretty consistent on every PT (around -8 - -12 total). My strength is -0 in LG almost on every PT. RC varies and balances LR so I usually end up with an average of around 165 when my minus total in LR is higher.

I walked away from the LSAT today bombing the chance that I had to get a 165+. I didn't get through one entire logic game and have a minimum of -6 on LG. And based on the consistency of how I know myself to perform on other sections... I know I didn't miraculously go -3/4 on LR. This was my first time taking the lsat and I think I let my nerves make me panic because of an LR section that made me panic. I'm pretty sure it was an experimental but I didn't have the foresight while testing to be sure of that and I let that concern bleed into the rest of my test. I pretty much beat myself. RC was average for me or slightly above average, meaning I can still anticipate st least around -5 or -6.

My question, given that my minimum -6 in LG is going to put me at around 161 with the best case scenario-- should I cancel my score and still test in Feb? What about the current application cycle? I'm not really targeting any T14 but I was looking at a few schools in the 18-25 range. A 165+ would have given me a shot at some of these schools, and would have gotten me some decent money with schools ranking 27-45. I have to do the research to figure out how many schools will even accept the Feb lsat but I'd just like a few thoughts on how much I'm impacting chances of getting some $$ by waiting until Feb. And can anyone make a case for not canceling my score? Provided I haven't considered any schools that would take a 2.98/161 and be generous in terms of $$$.
Last edited by Jm0987 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Bombed Dec lsat. Retake in Feb-- wait to apply?

Postby SomewhatLearnedHand » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Retake and apply next cycle no question

User avatar

Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Re: Bombed Dec lsat. Retake in Feb-- wait to apply?

Postby strawberryrhubarb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:55 am

Read this : ... sat-casino

If you're PT-ing at 165 and you have *real reason* to think you'll score 161, yes cancel. But chances are there might be a surprise in the composition of the LR's that count, especially given the feedback in the testing sections for DEC 2017. For ex) you say you usually get around -10 in LR, but let's reason that you're generally bad at say resolve P/discrepancy and you ALWAYS lose -2 or -3 in LR due to it, it can be likely that you're not noticing that the LR sections that count had close to 0 of these types of questions. This logic can expand to RC and LG too. Don't be so sure that -6 LG makes it impossible to get anything NEAR 165. Verify the EXP and think hard and then make the choice. You should be retesting in February IMHO.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests