The Official December 2017 Waiters Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How did you do??

177-180
8%
173-176
13%
170-172
6%
167-169
21%
164-166
17%
160-163
12%
155-159
12%
Below 155
11%

Total votes: 84

futurehoosierJD

New

Re: The Official December 2017 Waiters Thread

Postby futurehoosierJD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:
futurehoosierJD wrote:Hey guys - I could use some advice. I just got notice from LSAC that the test materials/answer sheets from my testing center are deemed lost and I can either make up the LSAT on 1/6 or sit for the February administration.

I am very worried about the delay in submission of my applications by sitting for the February LSAT. I felt confident that my December LSAT score was going to be better than the one already in my file (156). PT scores no less than 165. However, I am not sure how well it would go if I take the makeup test on 1/6. I have not touched anything LSAT-related and the holidays leave little time to prepare.

Any advice you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. This sucks. Worst. Christmas. Present. Ever.

Take a PT before deciding, it's only been two weeks and you don't lose that ability overnight. See how it goes. If you do well, take the 1/6, why not. Though you will probably be one of the only ones in the January waiters thread.

All by myself... don't wanna be... all by myself... But really, being the only person on the site waiting would be a new low of post-LSAT depression.

Thanks for the advice! I am going to take one tonight and see what happens.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm

futurehoosierJD wrote:
Mikey wrote:
futurehoosierJD wrote:Hey guys - I could use some advice. I just got notice from LSAC that the test materials/answer sheets from my testing center are deemed lost and I can either make up the LSAT on 1/6 or sit for the February administration.

I am very worried about the delay in submission of my applications by sitting for the February LSAT. I felt confident that my December LSAT score was going to be better than the one already in my file (156). PT scores no less than 165. However, I am not sure how well it would go if I take the makeup test on 1/6. I have not touched anything LSAT-related and the holidays leave little time to prepare.

Any advice you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. This sucks. Worst. Christmas. Present. Ever.

Damn that truly sucks, so so sorry to hear that! :(

I say take it, unless you're willing to just sit the cycle out. Did they tell you anything about the make up test regarding the turn around with giving scores back? if they come back fast I say just go for it and your apps can still get in with decent timing. If not, maybe sit the cycle out and retake in June or September?

Either way it sucks! :/

Thank you for the sympathy! It feels nice to know others think this sucks, haha. LSAC did not include any information about the turnaround timing for scores. Do you think sitting for the February administration is too late for this cycle? I am going to take a practice test tonight and see how it goes. I just hate the idea of rushing everything.

I think the feb test is pretty late, as lots of schools don't accept it. Although, I have heard that you can petition to a school to accept your feb score but that just seems like a pain in the ass to do for a bunch of schools. Idk much about any of that though, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Maybe try calling LSAC and asking what the projected date for scores release will be for you? won't hurt to ask, imo.

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Postby JamesBlahDeBlah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm

futurehoosierJD wrote:All by myself... don't wanna be... all by myself... But really, being the only person on the site waiting would be a new low of post-LSAT depression.

Just imagine trying to figure out the experimental section in that thread alone.
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:
futurehoosierJD wrote:All by myself... don't wanna be... all by myself... But really, being the only person on the site waiting would be a new low of post-LSAT depression.

Just imagine trying to figure out the experimental section in that thread alone.

Worst in/out game ever.

futurehoosierJD

New

Postby futurehoosierJD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:

Omg - I didn't even think about that. Thank you for that thought. :|

futurehoosierJD

New

Postby futurehoosierJD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Mikey wrote:
futurehoosierJD wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Damn that truly sucks, so so sorry to hear that! :(

I say take it, unless you're willing to just sit the cycle out. Did they tell you anything about the make up test regarding the turn around with giving scores back? if they come back fast I say just go for it and your apps can still get in with decent timing. If not, maybe sit the cycle out and retake in June or September?

Either way it sucks! :/

Thank you for the sympathy! It feels nice to know others think this sucks, haha. LSAC did not include any information about the turnaround timing for scores. Do you think sitting for the February administration is too late for this cycle? I am going to take a practice test tonight and see how it goes. I just hate the idea of rushing everything.

I think the feb test is pretty late, as lots of schools don't accept it. Although, I have heard that you can petition to a school to accept your feb score but that just seems like a pain in the ass to do for a bunch of schools. Idk much about any of that though, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Maybe try calling LSAC and asking what the projected date for scores release will be for you? won't hurt to ask, imo.

Definitely! I am going to call admissions offices during my lunch tomorrow, too. Thank you!

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:24 pm

FuturehoosierJD it won’t let me quote you so this is the best I can do. That seriously sucks so much but I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Maybe you bombed December and will now absolutely kill your retake? Idk but either way I’m definitely rooting for you! Keep us posted with what happens.

futurehoosierJD

New

Postby futurehoosierJD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

MercW07 wrote:FuturehoosierJD it won’t let me quote you so this is the best I can do. That seriously sucks so much but I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Maybe you bombed December and will now absolutely kill your retake? Idk but either way I’m definitely rooting for you! Keep us posted with what happens.

Thank you so much, MercW07! I would be lying if I said I didn't wonder the same thing - I am hoping this is some kind of fortuitous accident giving me a second shot, haha. I'll keep you posted!

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:38 pm

futurehoosierJD wrote:
MercW07 wrote:FuturehoosierJD it won’t let me quote you so this is the best I can do. That seriously sucks so much but I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Maybe you bombed December and will now absolutely kill your retake? Idk but either way I’m definitely rooting for you! Keep us posted with what happens.

Thank you so much, MercW07! I would be lying if I said I didn't wonder the same thing - I am hoping this is some kind of fortuitous accident giving me a second shot, haha. I'll keep you posted!

It’s divine intervention my friend. I promise!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

if scores come out this week i will send everyone in this thread $100...

...jk

futurehoosierJD

New

Postby futurehoosierJD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:13 pm

MercW07 wrote:
futurehoosierJD wrote:

Your words of encouragement are appreciated! Seriously. I took a PT tonight and got a 166. Bleh. I was scoring 169 consistently before December but I’m chalking tonight up to being a bit rusty? Here’s. Freaking. Hoping.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:48 pm

futurehoosierJD wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
futurehoosierJD wrote:

Your words of encouragement are appreciated! Seriously. I took a PT tonight and got a 166. Bleh. I was scoring 169 consistently before December but I’m chalking tonight up to being a bit rusty? Here’s. Freaking. Hoping.

When is the deadline for your decision on 1/6 or FEB? I would review tomorrow and drill and take another PT weds. It might take you a couple days to shake the rust off but at a 166 youre not far off. 166-169 when you were scoring 169 two weeks ago is prob just some conditioning and stamina.

Best of LucK! Definitely a shitty situation, but as Merc said everything happens for a reason. You got this!! We are all rooting for you

mdelacruz

New

Postby mdelacruz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:16 am

Definitely fee good about December test -- thinking mid to high 160s, possibly low 170s.

Planning on submitting my apps as soon as I get back my score, but if I don't score as high as I want, should I retake in Feb? Would I even get my Feb score back before they decide on my app with the Dec score?

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:54 am

mdelacruz wrote:Definitely fee good about December test -- thinking mid to high 160s, possibly low 170s.

Planning on submitting my apps as soon as I get back my score, but if I don't score as high as I want, should I retake in Feb? Would I even get my Feb score back before they decide on my app with the Dec score?

Probably not. If you submit early January chances are that schools will be looking at your app before the Feb score releases (listed as March 8th on LSAC). I think the choice to do the Feb test essentially mandates that you don't submit your apps until after you have that score back.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am

so I haven't really been caring about scores and score release date and stuff. but this morning for some reason I started thinking of one of the RC passages and for some weird reason I feel like one of the easier ones I may have fucked up on. hoping this feeling is unwarranted but I do remember for a passage that I thought it was easy to read but was a bit confused by some of the questions as if I hadn't even read the passage.

oh well

etramak

Silver

Postby etramak » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:45 am

Last edited by etramak on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 am

etramak wrote:
Mikey wrote:so I haven't really been caring about scores and score release date and stuff. but this morning for some reason I started thinking of one of the RC passages and for some weird reason I feel like one of the easier ones I may have fucked up on. hoping this feeling is unwarranted but I do remember for a passage that I thought it was easy to read but was a bit confused by some of the questions as if I hadn't even read the passage.

oh well

which passage? There was def a tricky question on the Chinese-American one and another one that I thought was tricky for the hero/cosmology one. Could have gotten as many as three (or as few as zero) on the last passage

can't remember which one but not the hero or cosmology passages. hero one was a bit bleh but I think I did ok on it. might've been the chinese-american one or the other one about like an author or some shit? don't remember specifically tho.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Zero Hedge wrote:
mdelacruz wrote:Definitely fee good about December test -- thinking mid to high 160s, possibly low 170s.

Probably not. If you submit early January chances are that schools will be looking at your app before the Feb score releases (listed as March 8th on LSAC). I think the choice to do the Feb test essentially mandates that you don't submit your apps until after you have that score back.

It depends on the school. Some schools, having it in with a future date is better because they review in order received when the app is complete. IE if you apply in December and they wait til your feb score, you'll get looked at before people who haven't been reviewed yet that applied Jan-Feb. I'm registered for feb just in case because of the small window between Dec results and Feb registration to not get screwed on test centers and all my apps are in. I checked with each school I applied to and they told me what to do if I actually want to take again in Feb and said it was better I had my apps in now.

Zero Hedge

New

Postby Zero Hedge » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Zero Hedge wrote:

It depends on the school. Some schools, having it in with a future date is better because they review in order received when the app is complete. IE if you apply in December and they wait til your feb score, you'll get looked at before people who haven't been reviewed yet that applied Jan-Feb. I'm registered for feb just in case because of the small window between Dec results and Feb registration to not get screwed on test centers and all my apps are in. I checked with each school I applied to and they told me what to do if I actually want to take again in Feb and said it was better I had my apps in now.

True. I'm registered Feb as well for those same reasons. I'm guessing the actual "jump" in the application queue would be minimal though if you were to send your apps in between January and the March score release with your score pending. Essentially you would just be bypassing everyone who they hadn't even started reviewing by that March 8th date, which I'd assume is minimal. Every spot in the queue could be the difference though.

peege

New

Postby peege » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:17 pm

Question for those of you who have worked as paralegals or legal assistants: I'm seriously considering delaying a cycle for my own sanity and applying for some firms jobs. I've been a file clerk in a firm which does a little bit of everything for two years now, so I'm very familiar with civil procedure and administrative duties. However I do not have experience in legal writing or any inclination of what different motions mean. Any resume or interview tips on how to get into these positions? Or is there an area of law which is easier to pick up than others?

Feel free to DM me with any advice :D

mdelacruz

New

Postby mdelacruz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Zero Hedge wrote:

Just the prospect of studying again for the Feb test is agonizing. I'm sure I got into the 160s on the Dec test, but if I got say a 164 I'm gonna be feeing major pressure to retake. If I score lower then I keep 164 as my highest, if I score higher then obviously I have a new high score on the books to report to schools.

I mean I'm definitey submitting as soon as I get my Dec score, i.e. Jan 3/4. At that point, I've got my app in and im in the "queue" to be reviewed at schools.

If you apply in December, how could you be reviewed in Feb? Do you mean they just naturally happen to get to your app around Feb, but it could be sooner or later?

Honestly, I hate to say this but I think a failsafe strategy would be to register and study for Feb, if I dont get the score I want in Dec then retake in Feb and then just send in the Feb score as soon as I get it in. If they've already reviewed/decided on my app then oh well, waste of time. If not then I'll have a new score to show them.

But if I don't at least take Feb then I won't have that option. Then I'll be stuck with my Dec score.

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Postby JamesBlahDeBlah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:30 pm

All this waiting is killing me. I'm super tempted to just accept the offer I already have right now just so I can move on to the fun phase of planning where to live etc...
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:22 pm

mdelacruz wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Zero Hedge wrote:

Just the prospect of studying again for the Feb test is agonizing. I'm sure I got into the 160s on the Dec test, but if I got say a 164 I'm gonna be feeing major pressure to retake. If I score lower then I keep 164 as my highest, if I score higher then obviously I have a new high score on the books to report to schools.

I mean I'm definitey submitting as soon as I get my Dec score, i.e. Jan 3/4. At that point, I've got my app in and im in the "queue" to be reviewed at schools.

If you apply in December, how could you be reviewed in Feb? Do you mean they just naturally happen to get to your app around Feb, but it could be sooner or later?

Honestly, I hate to say this but I think a failsafe strategy would be to register and study for Feb, if I dont get the score I want in Dec then retake in Feb and then just send in the Feb score as soon as I get it in. If they've already reviewed/decided on my app then oh well, waste of time. If not then I'll have a new score to show them.

But if I don't at least take Feb then I won't have that option. Then I'll be stuck with my Dec score.

This is where you have to be neurotic/analytical about your numbers. Some schools will just review you once December comes around, others will hold til Feb results, and others will want you to tell them what to do. I'd advise looking at each school, their score ranges on the latest 509s and seeing what you feel comfortable with having an initial decision based on your December score. I'll probably move forward with the schools I know that the worst I can get is WL with my Dec score if I want to retake in Feb and request to hold for the ones that I'm not confident with. It really is an individual game per school.

mdelacruz

New

Postby mdelacruz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
mdelacruz wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Zero Hedge wrote:

This is where you have to be neurotic/analytical about your numbers. Some schools will just review you once December comes around, others will hold til Feb results, and others will want you to tell them what to do. I'd advise looking at each school, their score ranges on the latest 509s and seeing what you feel comfortable with having an initial decision based on your December score. I'll probably move forward with the schools I know that the worst I can get is WL with my Dec score if I want to retake in Feb and request to hold for the ones that I'm not confident with. It really is an individual game per school.

You can request to hold once you've already submitted? How does that work? Do you just ask "please hold my app until I let you know"?

Experiment626

Silver

Postby Experiment626 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 pm

mdelacruz wrote:You can request to hold once you've already submitted? How does that work? Do you just ask "please hold my app until I let you know"?

Ask the school you're applying to, like I've already said. Each one is different.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?