Taking the Same Prep Tests twice worth it? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
t14orbust22

New

Taking the Same Prep Tests twice worth it?

Post by t14orbust22 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:14 pm

I know this is obvious, but maybe just to make myself feel better I'm going to ask anyways. I studied for the September test and was taking PTs in June, July, Aug and I "burned through" most of the modern practice PTs (2010 and later). It's been 3-4 month since I've taken these tests, and I'm scoring 8-9 points higher which makes me feel very good, but also I know some of it likely has to do with the fact I've done the problems before.

I guess long story short, my question is do you think it's worthwile to take the same test more than once after review? It's not like I remember the answers to the questions, but having read an RC passage before or even having done an LG game before I clearly have an advantage, and I'm worried that the the big improvements I'm seeing may have less to do with my skills improving, and more to do with subconscious memorization or even having an idea of what is going on since I've done it before.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Taking the Same Prep Tests twice worth it?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Yes, they are still worthwhile to take. Unless you can get a 180 timed on all of those tests then there is still plenty to learn from them. Just realize your scores on them may be a bit inflated so they won't be much good as indicators of your scores in the same way a fresh test would.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

damask_rain

New

Post by damask_rain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:05 pm

t14orbust22 wrote:I know this is obvious, but maybe just to make myself feel better I'm going to ask anyways. I studied for the September test and was taking PTs in June, July, Aug and I "burned through" most of the modern practice PTs (2010 and later). It's been 3-4 month since I've taken these tests, and I'm scoring 8-9 points higher which makes me feel very good, but also I know some of it likely has to do with the fact I've done the problems before.

I guess long story short, my question is do you think it's worthwile to take the same test more than once after review? It's not like I remember the answers to the questions, but having read an RC passage before or even having done an LG game before I clearly have an advantage, and I'm worried that the the big improvements I'm seeing may have less to do with my skills improving, and more to do with subconscious memorization or even having an idea of what is going on since I've done it before.
I've retaken many PTs and I personally feel that this can be advantageous. I like to compare my first take with my second take and see if there are any questions that I repeatedly get wrong. When a match occurs, I pay especially careful attention to where I went wrong because it's a systematic error in my thinking or something that I truly don't understand. I feel like this can be useful. In general, repetition also helps with speed.

strawberryrhubarb

New

Post by strawberryrhubarb » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:12 am

You should definitely re-do them. *ESPECIALLY for LG and RC*. For LR, you're likely to remember the answers to some of the ones that really stumped you-- and to some degree our brains are wired to take a shortcut when it comes to selecting that answer. But for LG, redoing PTs is so undervalued. I improved on LG by doing the same game a few times a month to note the inferences that can be made. The correct answers during prep for LG is important but the inferences are what will make or break you on game day.

HueyPWrong

New

Post by HueyPWrong » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Ive taken every modern test from the 90s to present atleast 3 or four times. Whether all the way through or through sections. I wish i would have chilled a little now but whats done is done. It def wont hurt you just try to save a few for taking right before the test.

HueyPWrong

New

Post by HueyPWrong » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 pm

I also find that i have a problem with remembering and answer and thinking its right but im really just remembering it because it was my initial answer and was wrong. Always kinda weirded me out. Also its hard to remain entirely focuses seeing as i halfway read through some of it because i think i remember the stimulus after the first few words then i overlook something. Just be careful with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”