Appropriate reading passages Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vesuvius

New

Appropriate reading passages

Post by vesuvius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm

All,

I want to begin practicing reading comprehension strategies however I want to do so on appropriate (LSAT like) passages. I am having a difficult time identifying what exactly "is" an appropriate practice passage so that I know what types of databases to search etc.

My first idea is to practice RC on academic papers because I have access to these types of databases as an undergrad, however these articles do not seem beneficial to practice on for the LSAT.

Any suggestions or insights you all may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
fish

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Appropriate reading passages

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 pm

The economist is cool. their articles are similar in structure to RC passages, and lots of them contain several viewpoints which is what RC does.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Mikey wrote:The economist is cool. their articles are similar in structure to RC passages, and lots of them contain several viewpoints which is what RC does.
ooo yeaahhh !

definitely read the economist. I read it every morning pre-studying since I started my prep. Also, I suggest at night or in downtime reading other denser-than LSAT books. On top of that, I started doing an LSAT RC passage a day and all of that stuff combined has done wonders in improvement for me in RC

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Arts & Letters Daily is a nice little aggregation of articles of about the right density, and a good complement to a newspaper or magazine (the aforementioned are all great) because it leans towards the humanities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vesuvius

New

Post by vesuvius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Some very good sources and tips provided up there.

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 pm

You can get an idea of where they get their passages from by looking at the acknowledgments in the back of every LSAT preptest. Obviously the passages get condensed but they're all based off real articles and books. I definitely recommend reading The Economist, some academic journals, law reviews (which are extremely common sources), even articles from the New York Times and Wall St. Journal. One thing to keep in mind is that the LSAT is likely to contain passages you would not typically read. So you might try reading articles you aren't that interested in or that you find challenging. Not saying to torture yourself but don't stop reading just because its difficult or not as interesting as you thought it would be.

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 pm

I love all the love The Economist gets as a good magazine for prepping for RC.

An overlooked advantage of it is that after years of reading it (referential phrase alert), one would (hopefully) have a good sense of business to talk about in biglaw interviews.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 pm

The Economist! I agree with the poster above regarding reading challenging books. Instead of watching TV or staring at my phone mindlessly, during my downtime I would read books about anthropology or history that were more serious/academic (there are some history books that are written like novels almost and those would probably not be as helpful).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”