When to start PTs Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Chaimthegreat

New

When to start PTs

Post by Chaimthegreat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:07 am

Hello all,

I have just recently started my lsat preparation for the June test. I just took my first diagnostic (161). I am now tackling the power scores bibles and will then move to 7sage and/or the powerscore class. My question is: how long before I should start consistently pting? I have 7 months to prepare and don't want to burn through PT material. Then again I'd like to be hitting 172-174 by June (this is my fantasy, not suggesting that I will in fact get that score). I understand a 12 point bump from my diagnostic will require detailed work and practice. So in summation:

When should I start consistently pting?
And, to humor me, what does a 161 diagnostic mean going forward? Absolutely nothing?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

AJordan

Silver

Re: When to start PTs

Post by AJordan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:28 am

The 161 means that the knowledge you have acquired to this point allows you to score pretty well already. It’s appropriate to start testing once you’re introduced to all the LR question types, the three basic LG forms (linear/group/in out) and you feel reasonably comfortable. From there, one/two PT a week was enough for me with just five months and I started lower than you did.

Just make sure you’re not blasting through Review. You can get a 161 without answering any truly difficult questions. You may have to rebuild some fundamentals to get harder answers correct. Don’t waste your material “pulling the slot machine” instead of actually getting something substantial from your review. 167-168 is, where I think, the last plateau really lies so I’d wager money on you at like -200 to get there. Beyond 170 there’s just a certain amount of variance but I still think you’re even money to hit 170.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Thank you much appreciated!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”