LSAT Stratagem Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
saraduboi1995

New

LSAT Stratagem

Post by saraduboi1995 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 am

Longtime lurker here, I would appreciate any and all feedback regarding my intended course of action with regards to LSAT preparation (test date: Summer 2018/Sep. 2018/Dec. 2018 absolute latest).

A little bit of context:
My LSACgpa: 3.82. I started prepping for the LSAT in late July (Cold Diagnostic was 150). I spent the intervening months (till a couple nights ago) grasping the inherent logic of the exam, understanding various concepts/techniques (Testmasters), drilling 2/3 sections 5/6 times a week etc. I took a second diagnostic two nights ago (untimed) and obtained a 176. Before you shun my untimed approach...my reasoning goes as follows: given the time frame I have to work with I would like to exercise my newfound skills/reasoning without time constraints. I know full well under timed conditions I would be looking at a far lower score. I am now however confident about my ability to understand and grasp critical concepts of the LSAT...
To that end, I would appreciate advice on how to proceed henceforth...N.B. 174+ timed is my ultimate objective.
My breakdown of sections was as follows: -4 RC, -1 LR1, -2LR2, -0LG.

I'm inclined to become more proficient at solving these problems: Manhattan LR & 7Sage LG, using incremental time constraints on bi-monthly prep. tests.?

I'm open to new ideas, criticism of my past approach, experiences etc.

Many thanks,

Sara

icechicken

Bronze

Re: LSAT Stratagem

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 am

If you think you've grasped the basics of how the test works, you should take a timed test to figure out roughly where you stand. Everything else really depends on that.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am

There's nothing wrong with not doing a timer in the beginning to assess your abilities. The only way it's wrong is if you never transition to using time or you waste too many recent tests doing it. There are other ways to do it, such as doing the test to time and then blind review the full test. It takes more time but it also gives you a realistic idea of where you are under test conditions while allowing you to also get the feedback on your ability/mastery of the concepts and seeing which question types you are weak at. Also, try and be cognizant about questions you're spending more time than normal on. Mark them and see if it's a specific question type via the 7sage tracker.

Overall your approach sounds good considering your timeline. If you have not thought about it, I would recommend using earlier tests, like 1-40, to do this incremental adding time approach. They don't have comparative reading passages, but it will help with your overall RC ability. Maybe sprinkle a test from where they start, around 53ish, here and there in to have comp passage experience. Just remember there's around 25-30 tests with Comp Reading passages and you blow through tests pretty fast over 9 months.

As you get closer, I would even suggest doing 6 section PTs with having the actual PT you're doing near the end and the last section being the one you are weakest in. Stamina is a big thing and if you do a 6 section and get used to it then on test day 5 will be easier.
Last edited by Experiment626 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 am

I doubt MH LR or anything else will really help you much. Your 176 speaks for itself, even if it is untimed--you clearly have the logical basics down. (that said, I think it's a waste of prep materials to do things without time constraints or with less restrictive ones, considering that time constraints are the primary barrier to a high score. It's only going to serve to mislead you.)

I was going to suggest taking full PTs to get your stamina up and timing down, but then I saw you don't intend to take for another year. Seems like you may run out of materials or burn out if you continue at the current pace--a year's worth of prep seems like overkill considering where you're scoring already.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm

sev wrote:I doubt MH LR or anything else will really help you much. Your 176 speaks for itself, even if it is untimed--you clearly have the logical basics down.
I disagree with this. It's very possible, untimed, to muddle through and get most of the questions right without developing the sort of understanding necessary to get that kind of score in 35 minutes, especially on LG. Prep materials might yet be useful for OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

saraduboi1995

New

Post by saraduboi1995 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 am

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
I tend to agree that untimed can be hazardous if one does not practice the required skill (especially Logic Games...just imagine getting full marks on a given section and yet diagramming every possibility). That being said I am wary of the skill I exercise - even under untimed conditions.
I will focus primarily on LG and LR. Do you guys recommend 7sage for LG? I need to become more proficient in the correct skill. As for LR I would benefit from an even deeper understanding of how to tackle the questions (it'll be easier to go faster as a consequence).

Best,

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:28 am

saraduboi1995 wrote:Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
I tend to agree that untimed can be hazardous if one does not practice the required skill (especially Logic Games...just imagine getting full marks on a given section and yet diagramming every possibility). That being said I am wary of the skill I exercise - even under untimed conditions.
I will focus primarily on LG and LR. Do you guys recommend 7sage for LG? I need to become more proficient in the correct skill. As for LR I would benefit from an even deeper understanding of how to tackle the questions (it'll be easier to go faster as a consequence).

Best,
I highly recommend 7Sage videos for LG.

I also highly suggest going through Manhattan's trilogy and The LSAT Trainer. You have enough time and I think it will only serve to help you. I completely agree with Chicken that even if you're doing well untimed there's plenty of strategies left to learn from books.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 pm

icechicken wrote:
sev wrote:I doubt MH LR or anything else will really help you much. Your 176 speaks for itself, even if it is untimed--you clearly have the logical basics down.
I disagree with this. It's very possible, untimed, to muddle through and get most of the questions right without developing the sort of understanding necessary to get that kind of score in 35 minutes, especially on LG. Prep materials might yet be useful for OP.
My thought is that taking a PT untimed is basically a BR score, and most people can't BR anywhere close to 176. My BRs were around 176 when I was at ~170. *shrug* In any case, OP really needs to start doing timed prep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”