30 day strategy before December test Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Chilton Manhattan

New

30 day strategy before December test

Post by Chilton Manhattan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Hello, everyone. I have a question about the strategy I'll use to study for the last 4 weeks before the December test. I got a 153 on my diagnostic tests back in September, but due to unforeseen circumstances (think major hurricane) I wasn't able to start studying until the end of October.

I went through all the PowerScore Bibles in the last two weeks, and I know the next step is start taking tests. I plan on taking a test every evening for the next 30 days (I work full time), but I have a few questions I hope you'll be able to answer:
1. I understand this tactic may lead feeling burned out. Is it work the risk, if it allows me get used to the test and it increases my stamina?
2. I have not taken another timed test since my diagnostic, but I measured the time it took me to complete the games in the LGB, and every game takes me around 11-15 minutes to complete. Should I instead focus only on doing games? If you think so, how long should I stick to that strategy?
3. What tests should I prioritize taking? The last 30? I registered for the February test in case things don't go as planned (I need to apply this cycle), and I don't want to misuse any materials in case I need them for Feb. (but I also wouldn't want to leave any necessary prepping tool on the table unused if it could lead me to the results I want in December!)

I am not a strong test taker (as is normally the case with URMs) but I normally go -0 on untimed LG and close to that in LR and RC (so I know I understand the basics) and I have a good enough GPA (LSAC: 3.76, UG: 3.9) and resume that I would hate to waste, so I'm trying my best to get the highest score possible. All recommendations are welcome!!!

Platopus

Gold

Re: 30 day strategy before December test

Post by Platopus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:31 am

Platopus wrote:Honestly, you shouldn't be taking in December. Don't rush your LSAT studying. If you diagnostic was in the lower 150's you can definitely crack 170, but it's going to take more than 6 weeks; it's going to be more like 6 months. I know there seems like a rush to jump on the bandwagon and just cram your studying so you can apply this cycle, but it's really not going to do you any favors to take in December and score in the low 160's.
Seconded. All you’re gonna do is burn up valuable material while not really learning much. And after three days you’re going to feel like shit besides. Take it in February or June and apply next cycle.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chilton Manhattan

New

Post by Chilton Manhattan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks for all your input. I have until tomorrow to postpone the test, so I'm considering my options. Would it be realistic to apply this cycle if I took the February test?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Chilton Manhattan wrote:Thanks for all your input. I have until tomorrow to postpone the test, so I'm considering my options. Would it be realistic to apply this cycle if I took the February test?
I'm in the same boat and wondering this as well. Most likely going to reschedule my Dec. test and take it for the first time in Feb. Would still like to apply this cycle depending on my score.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Chilton Manhattan wrote:Thanks for all your input. I have until tomorrow to postpone the test, so I'm considering my options. Would it be realistic to apply this cycle if I took the February test?
Honestly, I would recommend you delay a cycle if you're going to test first in Feb. Your score won't be ready until March and by then there will be a lot less slots left at top schools which will impact admissions and even scholarship. When you apply in the cycle is just as important.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 pm

kiklavan wrote:
King of the North wrote:
I'm in the same boat and wondering this as well. Most likely going to reschedule my Dec. test and take it for the first time in Feb. Would still like to apply this cycle depending on my score.
It depends if you're aiming for T14. If you are, I would 100% not apply past January. If you're applying to lower tiered schools, my understanding is that you don't have to worry about much other than when their actual app deadlines are.
I’m shooting for the Vandy/Emory range.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chilton Manhattan

New

Post by Chilton Manhattan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks again for all your thoughts. I decided to postpone my test until Feb, and completed the change early this morning.

I guess now it's a good time to ask: should I start reviewing LGs only or doing PTs straightaway?

stimulus

New

Post by stimulus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Chilton Manhattan wrote:Thanks again for all your thoughts. I decided to postpone my test until Feb, and completed the change early this morning.

I guess now it's a good time to ask: should I start reviewing LGs only or doing PTs straightaway?
You're in pretty good shape for February if you're going -0 untimed (and after only two weeks of prep!). But it'll be hard for you to know where your weaknesses are until you've done another full timed PT (or two). So I'd do that next. Since you seem to have the basics down, your top priority right now should be to identify your weak areas under time pressure so you know what to target with drilling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”