PT 82 RC Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
foodlaw

New

PT 82 RC Question

Post by foodlaw » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:44 pm

For 11, where is the support for a) "end in itself" part? Also, would b) be correct if "and" is replaced with "or"? Or is "fail" too strong?

How is 25 b)?

Much help appreciated!

kiklavan

Bronze

Re: PT 82 RC Question

Post by kiklavan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Only if it's published for people that didn't take the test. If it's not published, then discussion is in violation of your agreement with LSAC.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:40 am

Experiment626 wrote:Only if it's published for people that didn't take the test. If it's not published, then discussion is in violation of your agreement with LSAC.
It's published. You can buy it on Amazon.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:25 pm

kiklavan wrote:Okay I'm going to give this a shot. Keep in mind this was my interpretation and might not be 100% foolproof, but I figured it might be helpful for you to see how someone else approached it regardless.

For 11, I got to the answer by POE. B is too strong, C is too strong, and D is out of scope, and E is out of scope.

Elaborating on B because you asked. "Fail" is unsupported in the passage. The author talks about all of those things listed as being beneficial but he does not discuss what will happen if they do not occur. I don't think "and" is the critical thing to hinge on because "or" wouldn't change the fact that we just don't know what would happen based on what the author gives us.

I didn't love A, but it is was weak and the only one that wasn't fundamentally flawed. For something to be an "end in itself" means that it's valuable in its own right. Lines 6, 20, 27, 42, 57, point to the idea that the author thinks preservation of language is worthwhile and that efforts to revitalize it are important. If this answer choice were false and the author didn't think that this would be "an end in itself," the passage would have ONLY discussed the utility of preserving language. Instead the author seems to believe that language should be preserved because it is important. The second and last paragraph provide support for the last part of A.

25 is all in the beginning of the last paragraph. The author begins by explaining that there is nostalgia for determinism. Then (in the sentence "cognitive satisfaction" comes up), qualifies that by basically saying oh we don't believe the underlying theory anymore, but we still miss the "cognitive satisfaction" provided by determinism. Considering context, we can infer "cognitive satisfaction" to be a reason for the nostalgia previously discussed. Even if you couldn't prove that right, A, C, D, E, are very, very out of scope so again POE would have been beneficial.
Hey! Thanks for the breakdown. You're right about 25. The other answer choices are trash. I'm now wondering why I had a difficulty choosing B.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”