How shot are my chances after 156 even with retake?

btermite

How shot are my chances after 156 even with retake?

Postby btermite » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:11 pm

I was consistently in the 168-174 range on practice tests before taking the September LSAT.
Since the test I've taken a practice test with a 170.

I have a pretty bad history of anxiety induced panic attacks, and having one during the test led to my abysmal score in September.

Currently I'm at a top ranked liberal arts college, I have a 4.0 GPA but with the LSAC calculation I have a 4.08.
I was really hoping to have a shot at Harvard because of the Kennedy school and a long-term relationship that would work ideally if I was able to be in the Boston area.

I'm willing to put in a lot of time between now and December with a lot of timed practice tests and blind review.
I'm wondering how much of a shot, if any, I still have if I retake in December and get a better score/what would I need?
Or is the 156 just too much of a glaring issue in my application, even with an addendum?

Mikey

Re: How shot are my chances after 156 even with retake?

Postby Mikey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Schools only care about your highest score, so as long as you get that higher score you should be fine.

Re: How shot are my chances after 156 even with retake?

Postby 239840 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:30 pm

You might benefit from meeting up with a doctor and talking about your anxiety attacks, if you haven't already. If there are substances that trigger them, you might think about how you could curtail your usage of them around your LSAT. If it's more psychological, then you will have to find some good coping mechanisms and/or work on really consciously changing your thought patterns, or at least challenging anxious thoughts you experience. It seems you're already performing well on practice tests, so the anxiety may be your main problem at this point. As Mikey said, most schools will look at your highest score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”