Studying While Active Duty (Navy) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
modernoblomov

New

Studying While Active Duty (Navy)

Post by modernoblomov » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 am

I plan on going to law school after the military and was curious if anyone has had any experience seriously studying for the LSAT while active duty. If so, what was your study schedule like? Was it done on shore or sea duty? For how many months?

I'm especially curious for Navy linguists. If you were one, where did you fit in time to study? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a 8/9-5 desk job more or less. I'd imagine there's time in the evenings to study but I also understand how naive it is to expect this given that it's the military.

Thanks

vonrus1

New

Re: Studying While Active Duty (Navy)

Post by vonrus1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:36 am

Im lucky to be going through a few c schools, so I was able to study for September in the afternoon/evenings. I'll retake eventually, I have time.

My advice is to study and then buy a seat when you're ready, instead of buying a date and then studying up to it. Don't put a deadline on yourself, especially if you don't have a block of time to throw 6ish hours a day at it.
Last edited by vonrus1 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

Come check out the Veterans thread. There are a bunch of folks who can answer these questions for you and give you specific advice. I took the LSAT in Feb while on (Army) active duty. Studied about an hour or two a day for four months. I know not everybody can find that time but most of us can, especially on the enlisted side of the house.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

modernoblomov

New

Post by modernoblomov » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 pm

AJordan wrote:Come check out the Veterans thread. There are a bunch of folks who can answer these questions for you and give you specific advice. I took the LSAT in Feb while on (Army) active duty. Studied about an hour or two a day for four months. I know not everybody can find that time but most of us can, especially on the enlisted side of the house.
I didn't know there was one. Will do - thanks.

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:00 am

vonrus1 wrote:My advice is to study and then buy a seat when you're ready, instead of buying a date and then studying up to it. Don't put a deadline on yourself, especially if you don't have a block of time to throw 6ish hours a day at it.
6ish hours is a little much, unless you only have a few weeks to prepare. If that's the case, it is best to not even bother taking the test. Vonrus1 is correct in saying to not sign up for a test until you're consistently PT'ing where you want to score. That of course may not always be an option (i.e. you're coming up on a re-enlistment window and really want a solid exit option before declining to stay in), but it is your best bet for LSAT development and growth.

Honestly, 60-90 minutes a day over the course of several months should suffice and not result in getting burned out. I'm currently deployed and operating on a pretty high op-tempo, but I still have 90 minutes a day to sit down and fully immerse myself in the wonderful world of LSAT prep. I've been using the LSAT Trainer while doing additional drilling on the side. I've seen great strides thus far, and I'm still picking up on things and definitely see areas I can continue to improve. Also use 7sage's free YouTube videos for walk-throughs of every single logic game ever seen on an LSAT. RC, just do it. Get used to dense reading. The LSAT Trainer doesn't really focus too much on it, because honestly there isn't much to it other than honing in on the ability to focus on things that don't really interest you. Others may validly disagree, but that's my take on it.

PM me with any questions. As always, go through the forums and try and find a study plan/method that suits you. What works for me may not work for you, but I'll be happy to help you out where I can.

Bartlet4President

New

Post by Bartlet4President » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:51 pm

modernoblomov wrote:I plan on going to law school after the military and was curious if anyone has had any experience seriously studying for the LSAT while active duty. If so, what was your study schedule like? Was it done on shore or sea duty? For how many months?

I'm especially curious for Navy linguists. If you were one, where did you fit in time to study? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a 8/9-5 desk job more or less. I'd imagine there's time in the evenings to study but I also understand how naive it is to expect this given that it's the military.

Thanks

Are you not in the military now? If you are trying to get a GI bill for law school I’d recommend signing the shortest possible officer contract. If you just want to serve either go for money (officer) or go for an job that is not going to bounce around a lot as far as a schedule goes. Be honest with your recruiter. They won’t care as long as they sign you up.

How much you need to study is dependent upon your goal schools and your diagnostic. I wouldn’t stress out over some crazy plan.
The only thing you need to do is make sure you have access to all the PrepTests. There are a few different ways to do that. Getting in the habit of studying every day when you’re in an environment that might not be the most receptive of your goals is a challenge.

Last advice, and this may be more for myself these days- do not cheat yourself on review!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”