Studying by just taking preptests?

BU2014
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby BU2014 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 pm

I've read most of The LSAT trainer and almost all of the LG bible...

I dont know why it just hit me that i only have TWO months til my LSAT.

I have only taken 3 preptests but i have about 40 unused ones.

Would it be wise to take 2-3 preptests a week and on the other 3 days review the questions i got wrong so that I become very well acquainted with the test?

User avatar
icechicken
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby icechicken » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 am

How are you doing on preptests under realistic conditions? If you're at or near your target score then yeah, I'd transition into grinding preptests for maintenance and consistency. (I'm a fan of doing individual sections during the week and then a full PT on Saturday; 3 whole tests' worth of material is probably too much.) Otherwise, you have enough time till December that you should keep working on fundamentals.

sev
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby sev » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:40 pm

I had basically the same situation and chose to do the same thing--it was definitely the right decision for me. But I think it also depends on where you're at/why you're missing questions. For me, I was plateauing around 170 because RC and LG timing was easily costing me more than half of my incorrect answers (~-5). So it made sense to burn through full sections of RC and LG to get the feel for speeding up and slowing down (and if I'm doing two sections I might as well do the full four sections.)

If you're in the 150s that indicates that you may gain more focusing on fundamentals than taking PTs. Bad practice is worse than no practice or something like that.

kiklavan
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby kiklavan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I second this. The prep course I took overemphasized drilling at the expense of PTing and my shot up once I focused on practice tests. I think it takes quite a few practice tests to really start getting a grip on timing and I don't think drilling (aside from breaking up sections) prepared me for that. For example although you technically have 8:45 for each RC passage, on a real test chances are you might have to spend 10 min on one and less on another, so giving yourself 8:45 per passage (traditional drilling) won't properly prepare you for that kind of decision making. Also PTs have helped me overcome the whole dwelling on a past crappy section thing.. which can really fuck up your score.

sev wrote:I had basically the same situation and chose to do the same thing--it was definitely the right decision for me. But I think it also depends on where you're at/why you're missing questions. For me, I was plateauing around 170 because RC and LG timing was easily costing me more than half of my incorrect answers (~-5). So it made sense to burn through full sections of RC and LG to get the feel for speeding up and slowing down (and if I'm doing two sections I might as well do the full four sections.)

If you're in the 150s that indicates that you may gain more focusing on fundamentals than taking PTs. Bad practice is worse than no practice or something like that.

hamshotfirst
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby hamshotfirst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Once you have the basic understanding of how to tackle each kind of question/section, you can definitely use just PTs and timed sections. You can do a PT, blind review, realize what section you need the most work on, and then drill timed sections of that specific section. Then do another PT and repeat the process. Good luck!

User avatar
LesPaul1995
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby LesPaul1995 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:39 pm

BU2014 wrote:I've read most of The LSAT trainer and almost all of the LG bible...

I dont know why it just hit me that i only have TWO months til my LSAT.

I have only taken 3 preptests but i have about 40 unused ones.

Would it be wise to take 2-3 preptests a week and on the other 3 days review the questions i got wrong so that I become very well acquainted with the test?


There is no reason to take a prep test again unless you can objectively say “I am going to improve.” If you keep taking prep tests getting the same score, you have not mastered the material anymore and which shows you don’t understand the material enough, or are not executing what you know properly ( which is to be improved via drills.)

BU2014
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Postby BU2014 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:17 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
BU2014 wrote:I've read most of The LSAT trainer and almost all of the LG bible...

I dont know why it just hit me that i only have TWO months til my LSAT.

I have only taken 3 preptests but i have about 40 unused ones.

Would it be wise to take 2-3 preptests a week and on the other 3 days review the questions i got wrong so that I become very well acquainted with the test?


There is no reason to take a prep test again unless you can objectively say “I am going to improve.” If you keep taking prep tests getting the same score, you have not mastered the material anymore and which shows you don’t understand the material enough, or are not executing what you know properly ( which is to be improved via drills.)



Ok that makes sense. I keep seeing that the LSAT is very learnable which is what lead me to believe if I kept taking preptests it would cause me to become much more aware of the structure of the test overall. (especially by reviewing after)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests