-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Why is my puppy growing up so fast wtf :(

april_ludgate

Bronze

Postby april_ludgate » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Honestly have no idea what my score is going to be and it's freaking me out a bit. I was averaging in the high 170s on the older tests, but then on the newer tests my average dropped a bit to ~175. Then on PT 81, two days before the test, I got my first perfect score. Fast forward to test day and I felt I did okay maybe, finished everything in time, but I basically don't remember anything about how sure I was about the answers. Still don't. It's a blur. I was incredibly tired and nervous. So while I don't have any clues that I royally fucked up, I have basically no memory/no sense of how well I did.

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:44 pm

april_ludgate wrote:Honestly have no idea what my score is going to be and it's freaking me out a bit. I was averaging in the high 170s on the older tests, but then on the newer tests my average dropped a bit to ~175. Then on PT 81, two days before the test, I got my first perfect score. Fast forward to test day and I felt I did okay maybe, finished everything in time, but I basically don't remember anything about how sure I was about the answers. Still don't. It's a blur. I was incredibly tired and nervous. So while I don't have any clues that I royally fucked up, I have basically no memory/no sense of how well I did.

On the actual test, I had the best time management of any test I'd taken, with time to review each section, including correcting at least two mistakes. I had a LR-LG-LR-LR-RC test, and almost let the rainforest passage bog me down. I don't know where the gear I went into after that came from, but I had about three minutes of review at the end. I either blew this thing out of the water or had a massive case of Dunning-Kruger. I really don't know what to expect, and I waffle between dreams of being the super-splitter king and of having to send in all the apps I've prepared as contingencies and hoping one of them still wants me.

There's what it comes down to - if you got to almost all the questions, and at least bubbled in something for each, you just can't be sure how you did until we go grey. Hell is waiting for LSAT scores.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:46 pm

My few weeks prior to the test were hilariously stressful.

I had been averaging 172-174 until about three weeks in. All of a sudden, I broke into the mid 170’s, and began averaging 174-177. My 13th to my 3rd to last PT were a 174.5 average on 7Sage.

Then, a week out, I pick up a gnarly cold. For a couple days I was fully out of commission. Then, midweek, I took two PT’s and got 171s on each. I could barely focus. Finally, by Friday I miraculously got back to 90% or so and scored a 173 on my final PT.

On test day, I was fully healthy and felt really good about it. I walked out feeling better than I had felt about almost all my PT’s.

But how I think I’ve done on a test and my actual score seem to have no correlation. And I’m not even sure whether “feeling good” means feeling like I hit my average from the final week or my average from the preceding 3 weeks when I was actually healthy.

Anything 172+ and I’m happy. But I have no real way of knowing if that’ll happen. In a way, it’s a blessing in disguise, because I’m never stressed about my score. Hard to worry about it when it’s all so out of whack.

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:Why is my puppy growing up so fast wtf :(

Because you keep feeding it?

april_ludgate

Bronze

Postby april_ludgate » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:52 pm

creed wrote:My few weeks prior to the test were hilariously stressful.

I had been averaging 172-174 until about three weeks in. All of a sudden, I broke into the mid 170’s, and began averaging 174-177. My 13th to my 3rd to last PT were a 174.5 average on 7Sage.

Then, a week out, I pick up a gnarly cold. For a couple days I was fully out of commission. Then, midweek, I took two PT’s and got 171s on each. I could barely focus. Finally, by Friday I miraculously got back to 90% or so and scored a 173 on my final PT.

On test day, I was fully healthy and felt really good about it. I walked out feeling better than I had felt about almost all my PT’s.

But how I think I’ve done on a test and my actual score seem to have no correlation. And I’m not even sure whether “feeling good” means feeling like I hit my average from the final week or my average from the preceding 3 weeks when I was actually healthy.

Anything 172+ and I’m happy. But I have no real way of knowing if that’ll happen. In a way, it’s a blessing in disguise, because I’m never stressed about my score. Hard to worry about it when it’s all so out of whack.

Two weeks before the test I pinched a nerve in my back. For about a week and a half I was in constant searing pain, then the few days before the test it was only twinging when I moved wrong. So I don't know if my lower PT averages on the recent tests were due to the pain or not, so I don't really know what average to think about in terms of predicting my score. I just have no way of knowing.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Thought hoping for a response:

I came to think about 2 weeks before the test that you should very rarely change answers. I tried to abide by a beyond a reasonable doubt standard— I only changed answers if it’s clear I misread an answer or the stimulus. My logic is this:

(1) You almost exclusively review very difficult questions.

(2) These questions are difficult due to complexity of subject or syntax.

(3) You are much more likely to appreciate and properly analyze that complexity in your first attempt than an inevitably shorter and less focused review.

(3a) Hard LSAT questions are designed to punish those who ignore or underappreciatevcomplexity

(4) Changing an answer is more likely to caused by falling prey to a less focused read than a more clarifying reading of the question.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 pm

april_ludgate wrote:

Two weeks before the test I pinched a nerve in my back. For about a week and a half I was in constant searing pain, then the few days before the test it was only twinging when I moved wrong. So I don't know if my lower PT averages on the recent tests were due to the pain or not, so I don't really know what average to think about in terms of predicting my score. I just have no way of knowing.

Yeah it’s odd. Rationally, your average when taking practice tests healthy is more likely to match your actual test day score if you’re healthy when taking it. But the sense that the rational conclusion is just a comforting rationalization keeps me from taking it to heart.

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 pm

creed wrote:Thought hoping for a response:

I came to think about 2 weeks before the test that you should very rarely change answers. I tried to abide by a beyond a reasonable doubt standard— I only changed answers if it’s clear I misread an answer or the stimulus. My logic is this:

(3) You are much more likely to appreciate and properly analyze that complexity in your first attempt than an inevitably shorter and less focused review.

(3a) Hard LSAT questions are designed to punish those who ignore or underappreciatevcomplexity

(4) Changing an answer is more likely to caused by falling prey to a less focused read than a more clarifying reading of the question.

The questions I went back to review tended to be ones I really didn't like any answer for, or had trouble eliminating the last wrong one. When I doubled back, I usually found it best to support my initial choice. Maybe a quarter of the time, the second read uncovered something I'd glossed over before that made the right answer clearer - those tended to be good candidates for a change, especially when they were questions that didn't seem to have any good choices on the first pass.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:28 pm

wmbuff wrote:

The questions I went back to review tended to be ones I really didn't like any answer for, or had trouble eliminating the last wrong one. When I doubled back, I usually found it best to support my initial choice. Maybe a quarter of the time, the second read uncovered something I'd glossed over before that made the right answer clearer - those tended to be good candidates for a change, especially when they were questions that didn't seem to have any good choices on the first pass.

I find it to be beneficial to look back at any questions I was unsure of when I went through the first time. I find I'm definitely more accurate after a second read because once i have gone through the whole thing, im not rushed for time anymore and can fully focus on the questions that were bothering me without having to worry about speeding up or moving on

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:27 am

saf18hornet wrote:So US News is saying they are using median GRE scores now towards the rankings. If I have an incomplete memory of my GRE scores from 2008, is it worth sharing them with the schools. I know some of the apps I started ask for GRE, SAT etc. But not in any official format. If I have a 780/800 on the old quant and a 5.0 on the writing, will that give me an advantage even if I forget my verbal score (probably because it's not near as good as the other two)?

in a similar boat about GRE scores. i guess 780 is similar to 168/170 in quant in the new scoring. surprisingly in quant it's only 95% !! a perfect 170q is only 97%. a 168-170q seems worth sending but i'm unsure if it'd help or hurt when combined with low(er) verbal.

the use of GRE scores by schools seems very unclear.

jjdude14

Bronze

Postby jjdude14 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 am

Guys so I (finally) turned 21 in Friday and took an alcohol induced break from thinking about the LSAT. It was a perfect weekend.

Also it looks like I missed the alc poll, Vodka is TCR

caramelizedgod

New

Postby caramelizedgod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:45 am

urggghhh doubting myself more and more as we reach release dayyyyy

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:48 am

jjdude14 wrote:Guys so I (finally) turned 21 in Friday and took an alcohol induced break from thinking about the LSAT. It was a perfect weekend.

Alcohol solves everything

Until it wears off

thehours

New

Postby thehours » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:01 am

Any chance the scores come out this week?

littlelibertine

Bronze

Postby littlelibertine » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 am

april_ludgate wrote:

THIS IS LITERALLY THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME. Except instead of my back, it was my neck, and I struggled looking down for long periods of time (which of course I need to do at my job and during the LSAT both).

On test day, I felt better about the questions than I did about any of the tests previously (where I'd averaged low-mid 170s). So, I'm hopeful, but we'll see.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 am

Mikey wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:Mikey, you got a 173, I’m calling it :D

pshh, if I some how got a 173 I would flip shit because that RC has me feeling like I got each question wrong lol

For real, I will not be at all surprised to see like a 162 with -14 on RC

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Postby AvatarMeelo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 pm

No matter the score, I think I’m gonna apply to Fordhams PT program and try to get them to give me a substantial scholarship. It’s definitely the most convenient program when accounting for all the personal reasons in my life. Pretty sure I have more than a decent shot of getting in, and I’d go without qualms if it’s the only school I’m admitted to this cycle.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

clueless801 wrote:No matter the score, I think I’m gonna apply to Fordhams PT program and try to get them to give me a substantial scholarship. It’s definitely the most convenient program when accounting for all the personal reasons in my life. Pretty sure I have more than a decent shot of getting in, and I’d go without qualms if it’s the only school I’m admitted to this cycle.

I like Fordham as well, but from their history and my lurking, I've realized that Fordham is very stingy when it comes to scholarships. Like, I had a friend who just graduated from Fordham and he had a 3.6/170 when he applied and the most they would give him was like 21k/yr I believe it was.

LSN shows this as well, and people who have applied to F show it on here as well. I like F, I'd go if I got in with good mula but y they gotta be so stingy :cry: :cry:

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm

jjdude14 wrote:Guys so I (finally) turned 21 in Friday and took an alcohol induced break from thinking about the LSAT. It was a perfect weekend.

How could you know that given that you only just started drinking on Friday... :P

(but in any case congrats!)

wmbuff wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Why is my puppy growing up so fast wtf :(

Because you keep feeding it?

Yeah stop that.

I came to think about 2 weeks before the test that you should very rarely change answers. I tried to abide by a beyond a reasonable doubt standard— I only changed answers if it’s clear I misread an answer or the stimulus

I think I like this idea, although I usually spend more time reviewing than on my original pass. Frankly, setting a higher standard probably would've helped me focus on making sure that I didn't misread the stimulus or prompt, which probably accounts for about of my missed LR questions anyway.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Has anyone attended one of Columbia’s information sessions?

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:03 pm

chewinggum wrote:Has anyone attended one of Columbia’s information sessions?

lmao you would. <3

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:25 pm

heyduchess wrote:
chewinggum wrote:Has anyone attended one of Columbia’s information sessions?

lmao you would. <3

not sure what you mean :D

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Anybody else doing the Atlanta forum?
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?