-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
10
7%
177-175
15
11%
174-172
18
13%
171-169
21
15%
168-166
23
17%
165-160
27
20%
159-155
13
9%
154-150
7
5%
<150
4
3%
 
Total votes: 138

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 pm

so what's good y'all

User avatar
april_ludgate

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby april_ludgate » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
twiix wrote:I'll start studying after I make some more progress with my essays. I want to get at least my first "decent" draft complete, and then I'll start the drilling up again. Gonna put off any PT's until probably November and just focus on the fundamentals for awhile. I hope we all did well! Drinks on me for everyone if I pull off a 170, hahaha


Yea, I feel the same. I'm really behind on billables at work but I can't bring myself to care enough to not continue to work on apps/essays lol

It's almost October which means it's almost grey season


can someone tell me what grey season is? I've been trying to figure out by context clues but I have not succeeded


Grey/gray day is when the icons in LSAC (go to LSAT status page) go from green to grey/gray. That is when scores are being released. Grey/gray season is just the time-frame around when scores are going to be released (so Oct. means it is almost time because LSAC projects Oct. 12). Usually, LSAC puts out a specific "Projected Score E-mail Date", but usually it is earlier than this date, but it varies.

Edit: For anyone interested http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/lsat-score-release-dates-scheduled-vs-actual-comparison


Thank you!

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:15 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chewinggum

Bronze
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby chewinggum » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm

littlewing67 wrote:I started looking at the link and TIL Tests from UC Santa Barbara were lost for the 2015 Dec. test. I would be tight! http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html

Not sure how I'd feel honestly lol. On the one hand it would def suck, buttt the make up test wouldn't have the judges passage

Cmoney $$

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Cmoney $$ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:08 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:
twiix wrote:
Cmoney $$ wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:Nathan Fox also had a really enjoyable podcast about the LSAT (The Thinking LSAT Podcast). And the book costs so much because the questions are real LSAT questions, and lsat charges like 5 cents per question if you use it in a publication or whatever, and then they have to be able to pay for the cost of paper and production as well as make a profit. It's actually pretty reasonable in my opinion.


Ofc! But if there’s someone here that’s done with it and doesn’t need it, it would be one TLSer helping another. I’ll definitley grab it from Amazon if this doesn’t work out


I have a copy that I only wrote in with pencil... I could have my son erase the marks. I'm done with it and found it to be very helpful.


I call backup if clueless backs out!


I already bought it, but how helpful did you find it? Also, how long does it take to get through compared to, say, the Powerscore LG bible or the LSAT trainer? Just asking because I will be going through it while simultaneously doing a course.


I thought that it went pretty quickly, it took me about 2 weeks to get through. I drilled LR questions 1-2 hours per day with Sundays off. I was doing very poorly in LR going -7 to -9 pretty consistently. After Fox Logic Encyclopedia I went -1 or -2 consistently on PTs until test day. His "off-the-cuff" explanations kind of clicked with me in a way that other books didn't. I took a prepcourse as well, but that really only helped my LG score. I also have the Fox Logic Games playbook, but it is pretty comparable to the other LG books. The only upshot is that he uses actual LSAT questions, and gives you multiple blank games for each, so you can practice and not have to worry about erasing diagrams to get a fresh look (if that makes sense). When I was an LSAT noob last year I bought some of the cheaper LG books (barrons, yuck) and it had games that were constructed by the author. I noticed some of them didn't even work out correctly. This hampered my LG improvement for 2-3 months until I realized the actual LG set ups and questions are much more coherent. I bought the Fox books after the June LSAT and I saw a really quick improvement. Fingers crossed, I'm expecting a 10 point jump in score when we hit grey (so long as that damn judges passage didn't make me go -7 on RC).

Anyways, if anyone wants the Fox books, just send me a PM and we'll work out a way for me to get them out.

sev

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby sev » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:18 pm

I definitely just looked around for my LSAT books as I was leaving my office for a late lunch so I could study.

Old habits die hard. :/

User avatar
GnarMarBinx

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby GnarMarBinx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Cmoney $$ wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
twiix wrote:
Cmoney $$ wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:Nathan Fox also had a really enjoyable podcast about the LSAT (The Thinking LSAT Podcast). And the book costs so much because the questions are real LSAT questions, and lsat charges like 5 cents per question if you use it in a publication or whatever, and then they have to be able to pay for the cost of paper and production as well as make a profit. It's actually pretty reasonable in my opinion.


Ofc! But if there’s someone here that’s done with it and doesn’t need it, it would be one TLSer helping another. I’ll definitley grab it from Amazon if this doesn’t work out


I have a copy that I only wrote in with pencil... I could have my son erase the marks. I'm done with it and found it to be very helpful.


I call backup if clueless backs out!


I already bought it, but how helpful did you find it? Also, how long does it take to get through compared to, say, the Powerscore LG bible or the LSAT trainer? Just asking because I will be going through it while simultaneously doing a course.


I thought that it went pretty quickly, it took me about 2 weeks to get through. I drilled LR questions 1-2 hours per day with Sundays off. I was doing very poorly in LR going -7 to -9 pretty consistently. After Fox Logic Encyclopedia I went -1 or -2 consistently on PTs until test day. His "off-the-cuff" explanations kind of clicked with me in a way that other books didn't. I took a prepcourse as well, but that really only helped my LG score. I also have the Fox Logic Games playbook, but it is pretty comparable to the other LG books. The only upshot is that he uses actual LSAT questions, and gives you multiple blank games for each, so you can practice and not have to worry about erasing diagrams to get a fresh look (if that makes sense). When I was an LSAT noob last year I bought some of the cheaper LG books (barrons, yuck) and it had games that were constructed by the author. I noticed some of them didn't even work out correctly. This hampered my LG improvement for 2-3 months until I realized the actual LG set ups and questions are much more coherent. I bought the Fox books after the June LSAT and I saw a really quick improvement. Fingers crossed, I'm expecting a 10 point jump in score when we hit grey (so long as that damn judges passage didn't make me go -7 on RC).

Anyways, if anyone wants the Fox books, just send me a PM and we'll work out a way for me to get them out.


That's awesome! I'm trying to power through the LR bible right now and I have the Fox book arriving on Tuesday or so. Since I have been doing LR for a bit now I have been going through the powerscore book pretty quickly (about a third through after 2 days), and hope to use the Fox book specifically to drill certain question types. Since his explanations are apparently good, according to people like yourself, I'll still definitely consider reading the whole thing through if I have time while in the course. Thanks for the insight, though! Helped reinforce I made the right decision even though I had to drop ~$70 on it (Canadian).

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:31 pm

sev wrote:I definitely just looked around for my LSAT books as I was leaving my office for a late lunch so I could study.

Old habits die hard. :/


I kind of wanted to do an LG game today. Wtf has this test done to us?

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby wmbuff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
sev wrote:I definitely just looked around for my LSAT books as I was leaving my office for a late lunch so I could study.

Old habits die hard. :/


I kind of wanted to do an LG game today. Wtf has this test done to us?


Games are fun. The LSAT made you think of LG as games.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 pm

wmbuff wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
sev wrote:I definitely just looked around for my LSAT books as I was leaving my office for a late lunch so I could study.

Old habits die hard. :/


I kind of wanted to do an LG game today. Wtf has this test done to us?


Games are fun. The LSAT made you think of LG as games.


If a major newspaper had a random game right next to sudoku I would def subscribe

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Buying shots for poll ideas

User avatar
chrysippusofsoli

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby chrysippusofsoli » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:06 pm

chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Mikey wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??


I call booze. Anybody want to second this?

User avatar
clemsonbill

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby clemsonbill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??


I call booze. Anybody want to second this?

Seconded

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby wmbuff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:38 pm

clemsonbill wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??


I call booze. Anybody want to second this?

Seconded


Will this poll be choose one or choose multiple?
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sev

Bronze
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby sev » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas

Approximate LSAT score after six shots of whiskey/tequila/vodka.

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:05 pm

clemsonbill wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??


I call booze. Anybody want to second this?

Seconded


180

User avatar
Rupert Pupkin

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:21 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:06 pm

sev wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas

Approximate LSAT score after six shots of whiskey/tequila/vodka.


Haha I was joking about this with a friend. Actually want to try it. I think id fare better with whiskey

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby wmbuff » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
sev wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas

Approximate LSAT score after six shots of whiskey/tequila/vodka.


Haha I was joking about this with a friend. Actually want to try it. I think id fare better with whiskey


Six shots first thing in the morning, then five hours in a testing center with only one water break? That sounds like a formula for three sections of bad decision making, then three sections with a headache.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 pm

wmbuff wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
sev wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas

Approximate LSAT score after six shots of whiskey/tequila/vodka.


Haha I was joking about this with a friend. Actually want to try it. I think id fare better with whiskey


Six shots first thing in the morning, then five hours in a testing center with only one water break? That sounds like a formula for three sections of bad decision making, then three sections with a headache.


We got some sweet poll ideas. I'm thinking 1st favorite booze 2nd what can you PT drunk 3rd something else

Also, I've never laughed so hard at a video jfc


Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
clemsonbill wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??


I call booze. Anybody want to second this?

Seconded


180


I'm tipsy and thinking:
jack
vodka
mimosa
margarita (frozen or on the rocks, your preference)
Jägerbomb
Bearfight
Jin and tonic
Rum and Coke
Some pretentious wine
A local IPA

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:53 pm

wmbuff wrote:
clemsonbill wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas


Area of law you are interested in practicing?

that is too on topic

favorite alcohol??


I call booze. Anybody want to second this?

Seconded


Will this poll be choose one or choose multiple?


choose one

User avatar
GnarMarBinx

Bronze
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby GnarMarBinx » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
sev wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas

Approximate LSAT score after six shots of whiskey/tequila/vodka.


Haha I was joking about this with a friend. Actually want to try it. I think id fare better with whiskey


Six shots first thing in the morning, then five hours in a testing center with only one water break? That sounds like a formula for three sections of bad decision making, then three sections with a headache.


We got some sweet poll ideas. I'm thinking 1st favorite booze 2nd what can you PT drunk 3rd something else

Also, I've never laughed so hard at a video jfc

[youtube]jq0V6Ejf_XI


Those are some hardcore NECKSERCISES, bro. Laughed my ass off hahahaha

Barry grandpapy

Bronze
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:26 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
sev wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Buying shots for poll ideas

Approximate LSAT score after six shots of whiskey/tequila/vodka.


Haha I was joking about this with a friend. Actually want to try it. I think id fare better with whiskey


Six shots first thing in the morning, then five hours in a testing center with only one water break? That sounds like a formula for three sections of bad decision making, then three sections with a headache.


We got some sweet poll ideas. I'm thinking 1st favorite booze 2nd what can you PT drunk 3rd something else

Also, I've never laughed so hard at a video jfc

[youtube]jq0V6Ejf_XI


Those are some hardcore NECKSERCISES, bro. Laughed my ass off hahahaha


Bro, neck day>leg day



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests