-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

RSolano

Bronze

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby RSolano » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Everyone is focused on how relatively easy LG was when making predictions for the curve but what other factors might be in our favour? I've read that apps are up because of the election, I'd assume more of those people are taking sept rather than June?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm

RSolano wrote:Everyone is focused on how relatively easy LG was when making predictions for the curve but what other factors might be in our favour? I've read that apps are up because of the election, I'd assume more of those people are taking sept rather than June?

the curve is already set, it doesn't matter how many people took this sept test

I predict a -10 curve tho

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:00 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
Walliums wrote:UGH I really hope Killoran is wrong and we get a -11/-12 curve

There is no possible way that the curve less than -11

There's a reddit post arguing for an 11 that makes valid points. The RC in June wasn't as hard as we all thought. And the LR had a few really hard ones in June, but this one was harder as a whole.

As for LG- I think LG was super easy if you're good at making inferences. But the reddit post argues that you couldn't brute force solve them, which could make them harder for the masses.

para219

New

Postby para219 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm

heyduchess wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:

There's a reddit post arguing for an 11 that makes valid points. The RC in June wasn't as hard as we all thought. And the LR had a few really hard ones in June, but this one was harder as a whole.

As for LG- I think LG was super easy if you're good at making inferences. But the reddit post argues that you couldn't brute force solve them, which could make them harder for the masses.

Link to the post plz?

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Mikey wrote:
RSolano wrote:Everyone is focused on how relatively easy LG was when making predictions for the curve but what other factors might be in our favour? I've read that apps are up because of the election, I'd assume more of those people are taking sept rather than June?

Hey

How'd it go?

rideagain

Bronze

Postby rideagain » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Mikey wrote:

I agree. Hoping for -11 but my money is on -10. We simply never see situations where easy-ish LG translate to generous curves.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Usually LR is my best section and I felt I had a very below average performance on it. Anyone else feel this way? For the record, I had an LR experimental and the one that I am pretty sure was my experimental went the best. For me it went LR (meh) games (easy) LR (easy) LR (hard) RC (meh). If my LR (easy) section end up being real,I will be super happy - but it's looking like it likely isn't? If I'm wrong about this, I will have done much better than I currently think I did in LR. Also, RC is usually my worst section and I found it to feel about average for me. For the record, I'm not a 170+ scorer so things might feel different for people who usually are 170+ scorers as compared to people who aren't. I do follow the consensus that the games were super easy.

Does anyone else feel like their view of the hardest/easiest sections don't necessarily correspond with the consensus on here?

velyvely

New

Postby velyvely » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Is Killoran usually right on with his curve predictions? I think I remember he predicted June's curve exactly :cry: Please be wrong this time, Dave!!!

LittleCrab

New

Re: September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby LittleCrab » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 pm

heyduchess wrote:
LittleCrab wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
dietcoked wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:I really thought cuddlefishing would take the cake

I actually don't remember any question about a cuttlefish and now I'm questioning my whole test experience/memory :shock:

Me too what is this cuttlefish others speak of

tbh I just remember it because I really love cuttlefish. It wasn't a hard question, though, so if you aren't hypehypehype about cuttlefish, it's easy to forget!

Is it a hard question? Why is everyone talking about it....honestly don't remember anything about the cuttlefish.......or fish in general...

We're talking about it cuz Cuttlefish are dooooope.

No there's no rhyme or reason for why we latch onto some topics. Like sometimes, they're just funny. Cuttlefish? Kinda funny. The cavemen masks and the pretentious school with an entire course on Shakespearean villains? Hilarious.

haha gotcha :D

RSolano

Bronze

Postby RSolano » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Mikey wrote:

No I mean maybe they're less prepared than average years. People who last minute got the idea to even go to law school maybe?

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm

RSolano wrote:
Mikey wrote:

No I mean maybe they're less prepared than average years. People who last minute got the idea to even go to law school maybe?

I think I know what you're saying, are you're saying that if some people who decided last minute to go to LS did bad on this LSAT if it is in our favor for the curve? if that's what you're referring to, then no, it doesn't matter how other people do on the test. everything is all set already for each test they give.

if that isn't what you were talking about, then correct me :P haha

ngogirl12

Silver

Postby ngogirl12 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm thinking the curve will be between -11/-12.

The sad thing is LG is usually my BEST section, but I totally froze on game 3 and 4, ended up guessing on two in game 3 and 3-4 in game 4. The only section I feel really confidant about is RC (which is usually my worst section but I had been working on it hardcore the weeks up to the test). I know for sure I got at least 2-3 wrong on the RC. The MP on passage 2 (I had two minutes at the end of the section when the proctor called time, I was about to change my answer when he called time and I didn't want to take any chances!) and also two-three questions on passage three.

Sigh. I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. I already registered for December and know what I need to work on, so there's that.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Did anyone here feel confident about their Jones answer? That was an odd question but I'm wondering if some had seen questions like it before and knew how to handle it

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

heyduchess wrote:
para219 wrote:
Link to the post plz?

https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/70p1hi/thoughts_on_yesterdays_test/

I have a post in here that already says this but I think the reddit post is spot on about LG inferences, RC difficulty and LR curveballs. Reading the Reddit post was actually pretty comforting bc of how much it resonated lol

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm

creed wrote:Did anyone here feel confident about their Jones answer? That was an odd question but I'm wondering if some had seen questions like it before and knew how to handle it

I feel confident about it. So maybe I read it wrong? haha

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:29 pm

saf18hornet wrote:

You mean that you don't think there is any way the curve could be -12, or there is any way that it is -10 or -9?

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 pm

velyvely wrote:

Is Killoran usually right on with his curve predictions? I think I remember he predicted June's curve exactly :cry: Please be wrong this time, Dave!!!

I have zero idea. I am surprised that someone hasn't collected this data already.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Mikey wrote:
RSolano wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I think I know what you're saying, are you're saying that if some people who decided last minute to go to LS did bad on this LSAT if it is in our favor for the curve? if that's what you're referring to, then no, it doesn't matter how other people do on the test. everything is all set already for each test they give.

if that isn't what you were talking about, then correct me :P haha

Wait so you mean that LSAC somehow figures out the difficulty of the test before they actually administer it and the curve is totally predetermined? If that's the case, how do different scores equal different percentiles? Wouldn't the curve actually have to represent how people did on the test, not just how hard LSAC believes it to be?

icechicken

Bronze

Postby icechicken » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Last edited by icechicken on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Postby thepsychedelic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:33 pm

creed wrote:Did anyone here feel confident about their Jones answer? That was an odd question but I'm wondering if some had seen questions like it before and knew how to handle it

I feel pretty confident about it, but the first time I read the stimulus I definitely had no idea what was going on. It took another read to understand what was being said.
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

icechicken

Bronze

Postby icechicken » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:Wait so you mean that LSAC somehow figures out the difficulty of the test before they actually administer it and the curve is totally predetermined? If that's the case, how do different scores equal different percentiles? Wouldn't the curve actually have to represent how people did on the test, not just how hard LSAC believes it to be?

They've gotten extremely good at designing the test and the scale, so that the results conform pretty tightly to a normal distribution without actually being curved. That's why the number of 180s can fluctuate quite a bit.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:Wait so you mean that LSAC somehow figures out the difficulty of the test before they actually administer it and the curve is totally predetermined? If that's the case, how do different scores equal different percentiles? Wouldn't the curve actually have to represent how people did on the test, not just how hard LSAC believes it to be?

I see the confusion, lots of people think the curve on the LSAT is based on how people do on that specific test day, but it's not.

We get experimental sections, and the sections that we get have already been done by people yearsss ago as their experimental sections. So the experimental section you have will be a real section for someone way later on in the future. this is how they determine the overall curve of each administration. they don't give us experimental sections just because :P well, to test questions yes but also to test the sections overall.

but how people did this past saturday on the test does not at all affect the curve since it is already pre-determined.

tinyrickkk

New

Postby tinyrickkk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Chiming in about Dave Killoran's June prediction: He actually predicted -10 (https://twitter.com/DaveKilloran/status ... 3386524673)

As for LG deciding the curve, I distinctly remember PT 76 (Sep 2015) had an easy LG (rated on 7sage as "easiest") but the curve was -12.

I'd be shocked if it's -9. -10 would still feel unfair but would be understandable. My guess is -11.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Mikey wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:Gray day seems so far from now lmao....

you just need to be open to the waiting time bro, like those damn judges

hahahaha --slowly dies inside--

You're right i need to view the process with more candor...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?