-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

merdblah

New

Re: September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby merdblah » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am

CottonHarvest wrote:
Mikey wrote:Is anyone else also still convinced that they got every single question wrong on RC..?

I don't even remember the first two passages. I know what they were about, but I don't even remember how long they took or if I felt good about my answers because judges fucked me up so bad.

I remember the first passage being a little difficult (normal difficult, like maybe one day I'll get an RC section that has two passages like that and two easier ones, you know, a normal test :-p) and the second passage being fairly easy. I know I went into judges feeling pretty good and right on target time wise. Probably missed one maybe two on the first. At most one on the second.

But fuck, I definitely missed a minimum of five on judges. I basically had time to read one answer choice, convince myself that seems reasonable, and move on... The last passage I don't even know. A lot of people seem to think it was easy with a normal amount of time, if that's true then it's possible I did alright. I'm feeling a -10, so here's to hoping I had the LR run of my life!

lsattaker1234

New

Postby lsattaker1234 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:54 am

Which LG section/game involved quarries? I am trying to piece this together.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am

mod edit: don't

Walliums

Silver

Postby Walliums » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:16 am

saf18hornet wrote:
greenmusic97 wrote:.

I would advise against posting rules from logic games

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 am

Walliums wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
greenmusic97 wrote:.

I would advise against posting rules from logic games

This is correct. I don't know what the 7sage reference is to.

Lalalsat96

New

Postby Lalalsat96 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:53 am

Im pretty salty that on the June 2017 LSAT. I got 25/27 questions right for RC and the games were relatively easy in June. AND Then in september i guessed all my answers for the final 2 passages. My score can either go amazing or real really bad october. I am over this

*goes to write an out of this world PS and researches about the GRE*

gaandrsn

New

Postby gaandrsn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:56 am

Mikey wrote:Is anyone else also still convinced that they got every single question wrong on RC..?

Feel like I'm in the same exact boat as you, Mikey. If only I would have skipped that third RC passage and came back to it. I was on the last question for Judges when 5 minutes was called and not confident at all in any of the answers I gave for that. Think I picked up a couple of points on the last passage but left at least 4 or 5 points on the table.

MrLions

New

Postby MrLions » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Felt great on the test up until the final section (LR-LG-LR-LR-RC) where I skipped to the judges passage first because it looked like a pleasant warm up passage. Spent 10 minutes on the first three questions and absolutely fucked myself for the rest of the section. Probably -10 on RC alone.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:23 pm

MrLions wrote:Felt great on the test up until the final section (LR-LG-LR-LR-RC) where I skipped to the judges passage first because it looked like a pleasant warm up passage. Spent 10 minutes on the first three questions and absolutely fucked myself for the rest of the section. Probably -10 on RC alone.

I had the same section set up and also skipped to the comparative. I did the first passage and flipped to the judges because it seemed like it would be easy.

The RC section really humbled me after being super confident throughout the test.

Lalalsat96

New

Postby Lalalsat96 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 pm

chewinggum wrote:
MrLions wrote:Felt great on the test up until the final section (LR-LG-LR-LR-RC) where I skipped to the judges passage first because it looked like a pleasant warm up passage. Spent 10 minutes on the first three questions and absolutely fucked myself for the rest of the section. Probably -10 on RC alone.

I had the same section set up and also skipped to the comparative. I did the first passage and flipped to the judges because it seemed like it would be easy.

The RC section really humbled me after being super confident throughout the test.

You guys are making me feel like im not crazy. IT REALLY WAS A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE. That RC section made up for any excitement I felt after LG. I still believe LSAC will have mercy and the curve wont obliterate my potential score.

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Mikey wrote:
Haburo wrote:I am really confused. I did not take the test described by the link in the opening post.

I had RC - LR - LG - RC - LR I think. One of the RCs (I think the second) had a passage about Native American business liability. The logic games section was difficult and I've completely bombed it. I literally am just confident about the first game because after that my brain started shutting down.

If you're an international/sitting the test outside America, do you take a different test?

Nope. International tests are different than the tests that people in the U.S take

Aren't the tests in Canada the same as the tests in America?

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:Im pretty salty that on the June 2017 LSAT. I got 25/27 questions right for RC and the games were relatively easy in June. AND Then in september i guessed all my answers for the final 2 passages. My score can either go amazing or real really bad october. I am over this

This is where I am. I missed 2 on RC in June and I'm pretty sure I missed 12 on this RC.

But who knows! We all thought we bombed that inference passage.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:Im pretty salty that on the June 2017 LSAT. I got 25/27 questions right for RC and the games were relatively easy in June. AND Then in september i guessed all my answers for the final 2 passages. My score can either go amazing or real really bad october. I am over this

This is where I am. I missed 2 on RC in June and I'm pretty sure I missed 12 on this RC.

But who knows! We all thought we bombed that inference passage.

I'm like 99% sure this RC will be lowest ever.

I thought the second one was easy but for some reason I thought the rest were hard.. Didn't even get to finish the fourth passage... I low key freaked tho

Incrementalist

Bronze

Postby Incrementalist » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Might as well check in. Good luck to everyone waiting

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:17 pm

After reading a few threads on the test (TLS, Powerscore, 7Sage, Reddit), I'm going to offer some predictions. I get the sense that some intuitions about the test fester within particular threads and that their introduction into one place could be useful. I have also become interested in Julia Galef's recommendation of trying to assign probabilities to one's certainties (in order to be a clear communicator). So I'll do that also.

1) Our initial prediction of a very low curve was predicated on the conventional wisdom that easy LG = low curve. I think this test will challenge that given the wide consensus that RC was quite hard and LR had some curveballs. So I predict a -11/-12 curve. 65% certainty (45% for -11, 20% for -12. I'd put -10 at about the same odds as -12).

2) Judges' effect on other sections will matter more than its actual difficulty. Though it was rough, I do have the sense that one could narrow most of the questions down to two options. But Marx/Freud was a relatively easy section, and not getting to it could cost many takers points. 80% certainty.

3) Games scores will be represented best by a bell curve with two peaks. Although the games were quite easy if you are a games champ and if you are adept at writing out scenarios before attacking questions, they could be hard for brute forcers. A test with more brute force questions would have evened this divide. But questions that ask about impossible or possible combinations highly benefit board splitters. Many on various forums didn't finish for this reason. 80% certainty.

4) An item will be removed from scoring. My confidence is not high on this, but I think it's higher proportionally than the number of tests that have items removed. There were just a few really weird questions and some of the Judges answers that seemed right also seemed nearly contradictory. 35%.

Apart from those, most predictions seem common sense. LG was easiest, followed by 26 question LR, 25 question LR and RC. I suspect that your average ~173 scorer will do something like -0 LG, -2/-2 LR, -3 or -4 RC.

If any of this isn't kosher for the board, please tell me and I'll remove it.

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 pm

creed wrote:4) An item will be removed from scoring. My confidence is not high on this, but I think it's higher proportionally than the number of tests that have items removed. There were just a few really weird questions and some of the Judges answers that seemed right also seemed nearly contradictory. 35%.

When's the last time an item has been removed from scoring?

Haburo

New

Postby Haburo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Mikey wrote:
Haburo wrote:I am really confused. I did not take the test described by the link in the opening post.

I had RC - LR - LG - RC - LR I think. One of the RCs (I think the second) had a passage about Native American business liability. The logic games section was difficult and I've completely bombed it. I literally am just confident about the first game because after that my brain started shutting down.

If you're an international/sitting the test outside America, do you take a different test?

Nope. International tests are different than the tests that people in the U.S take
Thank you, I had no idea about this and was freaking out when you al said LG was super easy. Mine (the London test) was sooooo difficult!
Lxwind wrote:

I heard from a friend that usually in Asia LG is more difficult and RC easier, but the overall curve about the same...
That's weird. It must be to do with time zones. Maybe they are scared I would take it and tell you guys all the questions.

Lxwind

New

Postby Lxwind » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Haburo wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Thank you, I had no idea about this and was freaking out when you al said LG was super easy. Mine (the London test) was sooooo difficult!
Lxwind wrote:

I heard from a friend that usually in Asia LG is more difficult and RC easier, but the overall curve about the same...
That's weird. It must be to do with time zones. Maybe they are scared I would take it and tell you guys all the questions.

Reasonable concern...even going to the exam knowing which section is the experiment would be a huge advantage...

ugatvandy

New

Postby ugatvandy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:37 pm

chewinggum wrote:
creed wrote:4) An item will be removed from scoring. My confidence is not high on this, but I think it's higher proportionally than the number of tests that have items removed. There were just a few really weird questions and some of the Judges answers that seemed right also seemed nearly contradictory. 35%.

When's the last time an item has been removed from scoring?

According to one source I found, this was the last instance: PrepTest 60 (June 2010), Section 1, Question 19 - Logical Reasoning

Not sure how up to date this source was, though

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 pm

I really thought cuddlefishing would take the cake

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:51 pm

creed wrote:I have also become interested in Julia Galef's recommendation of trying to assign probabilities to one's certainties (in order to be a clear communicator).

(1) I hope you're right about your predictions.
(2) Julia Galef is awesome.

as a side note to the thread, I think this is a complete list of items removed from scoring--I don't recall having seen one since PT60.
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/wi ... moved.html

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:I really thought cuddlefishing would take the cake

the children are indeed wrong

sabraph

Bronze

Postby sabraph » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:37 pm

merdblah wrote:
Lxwind wrote:
creed wrote:Is there consensus on Marx/Freud?

I thought it was extremely easy but I'm seeing otherwise on r/LSAT. I think I finished it in 4 minutes or so. Wondering if I overlooked some stuff. But I can see how Judges may have made it feel rough.

It was easy for me as well..took me about 6~7 minutes though

I feel like it would have been easy if I didn't waste so much time on judges. Had to skim and rush the questions. Should have done that one first.

This ^

sabraph

Bronze

Postby sabraph » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm

abujabal wrote:On an underreported note, did anyone else have:

"Are you comfortable with using tablet technology?"
"Are you comfortable with using smartphones"
and
"Are you comfortable writing long, multi-page essays on a digital device"

As their MCs before the certifying statement instead of the typical "how did you prepare?" It seems to be an indication that this test could be about to go digital, and given that last question, maybe even change format? (Essays instead of MC?)

I had this too!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?