-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Re: September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Nuts for Jazz

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 pm

greenmusic97 wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Was "investment in science and a healthy economy" real or experimental? I can solve the LR(25) LG LR( 25) LR(26) RC combo if someone knows

Am I allowed to say what number this was?

Idk the answer, but i think you can say the number.

Update: mod approved

Does anyone know if "investment in science and a healthy economy", question 25 was real or experimental? If so, I can update one of the last two (I think) possible section/experimental combos for people with 3LRs

Lalalsat96

New

Postby Lalalsat96 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:12 pm

On campus drinking LR was real bc i had it as section 1 FYI

Lalalsat96

New

Postby Lalalsat96 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
greenmusic97 wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:Was "investment in science and a healthy economy" real or experimental? I can solve the LR(25) LG LR( 25) LR(26) RC combo if someone knows

Does anyone know if "investment in science and a healthy economy", question 25 was real or experimental? If so, I can update one of the last two (I think) possible section/experimental combos for people with 3LRs

I dont recall any investment in science ones tbh but i also had 3 LRs and could have forgot by now

futurehoosierJD

New

Postby futurehoosierJD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Is it bad that I honestly have no idea how it went? I've never had trouble finishing a section in time, but I struggled on all three of the LRs and ended up guessing 2-3 Qs for each section. My rhythm was just completely off. Worst case scenario is a 158; best case scenario is high 160s. I hate this test. And I'm a splitter who already cancelled once so I feel like I need to just see the outcome of this & plan to retake in December.

I've also had a few imperial IPAs and needed to vent. So thanks if you read this far. (Also would much rather sit for the bar than do this test again.)

#TeamHomestead

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

On an underreported note, did anyone else have:

"Are you comfortable with using tablet technology?"
"Are you comfortable with using smartphones"
and
"Are you comfortable writing long, multi-page essays on a digital device"

As their MCs before the certifying statement instead of the typical "how did you prepare?" It seems to be an indication that this test could be about to go digital, and given that last question, maybe even change format? (Essays instead of MC?)

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

The question of which sections are real/experimental was answered awhile ago. See results :

Real Sections:

LG:
-Types of Food/Specials in Different Restaurants
-Students/Assignments
-Investigators/Suspects
-Films/Theatres

RC:
-Forests/Deforestation and Plantations
-Judges/Opinions
-Native American Language/Radio
-Directive/General Theories (Marx/Freud)

LR:
-Cars Sold to Junkyards for Parts
-Moose/Deer
-Jazz
-Crows Divebombing/Masks
-Raven Feeding Experiment
-Cuttlefish
-Acme Automotive
-Cost of Energy Use/Two Towns
-Perimeter Lights/Vandalism
-Nuts/Calories/Weight
-Disease X/Protein/Heart Disease
-Computer/Basic Skills
-Shakespeare Play
-Morally Right/Wrong Criteria/Revealing a Secret
-Gold Artifacts and Mines/China
-Beads Used as Currency
-Homophones
-Tarantula
-Pet Owner's Allergies

Experimental Sections:

LG:
-Violins/Instruments
-People/Cities
-Foresters

RC:
-Astronomy
-WWI Activist
-Louvre
-Pyramids
-Quantum Theory

LR:
Art Critic/Opera

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:
greenmusic97 wrote:

I dont recall any investment in science ones tbh but i also had 3 LRs and could have forgot by now

Hopefully more people without 3 LRs answer :P

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:16 pm

abujabal wrote:On an underreported note, did anyone else have:

and

As their MCs before the certifying statement instead of the typical "how did you prepare?" It seems to be an indication that this test could be about to go digital, and given that last question, maybe even change format? (Essays instead of MC?)

I mean they're already doing digital lsat pilot tests....did one back in May and one either this month or next.

The multi page essay is you type on a small keyboard attached to the tablet device they give you

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:

and

I mean they're already doing digital lsat pilot tests....did one back in May and one either this month or next.

The multi page essay is you type on a small keyboard attached to the tablet device they give you

Sure, but I'm thinking that the last question is less "let's make the existing LSAT doable on an iPad" and more "let's change the nature of this test to accomodate the digital aspect"

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Postby Barry grandpapy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 pm

twiix wrote:The question of which sections are real/experimental was answered awhile ago. See results :

I already posted this on the OP. Right now I'm trying to help out people with LR LG LR LR RC section breakdowns to see which LR was experimental since some don't remember specific questions but remember the breakdown.

Edit: Didn't see the post above yours, sorry if you were referring to that one :P
Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pricon

Bronze

Postby pricon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 pm

tls1885 wrote:Had LR (25 Qs), LG, LR (26 Qs), LR (26 Qs), RC.

Does anyone remember a LR question about a girl washing and waxing her car?

sounds like daydreaming. not good

dietcoked

Bronze

Postby dietcoked » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:21 pm

abujabal wrote:

and

Sure, but I'm thinking that the last question is less "let's make the existing LSAT doable on an iPad" and more "let's change the nature of this test to accomodate the digital aspect"

Yea, I took the test digital pilot. I wouldn't say I hate it, and in some aspects, it is a lot better (for the essay, depending on how you like to mark your RC/LR), but I still prefer old pencil and paper. It would be nice if we could get our scores automatically though...

pricon

Bronze

Postby pricon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:23 pm

thankfully my writing sample will make up for the drop in performance otherwise since June

RSolano

Bronze

Postby RSolano » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:23 pm

jjdude14 wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Sooooo....how did it go, and how drunk are you all getting tonight? :D

I walked out of the testing center and my friend greeted me with a rum and coke. Haven't stopped since.

Damn you've got a good friend

Lalalsat96

New

Postby Lalalsat96 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 pm

I still believe the curve can be -12 for a 170 because the judges passage was just that time consuming! Having faith that Lsac has pity on us for all the lack of high scorers

futurehoosierJD

New

Postby futurehoosierJD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 pm

and

I had the same questions. I got an email actually asking me to participate in a mock LSAT using tablets. But it was from a law school and not LSAC.

pricon

Bronze

Postby pricon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:I still believe the curve can be -12 for a 170 because the judges passage was just that time consuming! Having faith that Lsac has pity on us for all the lack of high scorers

faith and pity are not welcome here

greenmusic97

New

Postby greenmusic97 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:On campus drinking LR was real bc i had it as section 1 FYI

Just because it was section one, doesn't mean it's real. It's already been confirmed that there are two orders to the lr, lg, lr, lr, rc test. Exp are switched around between 1 and 3. Unless you had only 2 lr, this doesn't confirm it.

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:43 pm

dietcoked wrote:
abujabal wrote:
abujabal wrote:Yea, I took the test digital pilot. I wouldn't say I hate it, and in some aspects, it is a lot better (for the essay, depending on how you like to mark your RC/LR), but I still prefer old pencil and paper. It would be nice if we could get our scores automatically though...

Main concerns with going digital (even though this won't happen until after I'm done with the LSAT)
1. Most people, myself included, read faster and with better comprehension from paper than from digital devices (Study verified)
2. It would be harder to practice for real test conditions

Lalalsat96

New

Postby Lalalsat96 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:44 pm

greenmusic97 wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:On campus drinking LR was real bc i had it as section 1 FYI

Just because it was section one, doesn't mean it's real. It's already been confirmed that there are two orders to the lr, lg, lr, lr, rc test. Exp are switched around between 1 and 3. Unless you had only 2 lr, this doesn't confirm it.

I think of it as this:

On campus drinking was in my 25 question LR section

Then i had 2 LR Ssection that were 26 questions after that. So either the exam is 102 question s orI am correct.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
twiix wrote:The question of which sections are real/experimental was answered awhile ago. See results :

I already posted this on the OP. Right now I'm trying to help out people with LR LG LR LR RC section breakdowns to see which LR was experimental since some don't remember specific questions but remember the breakdown.

Edit: Didn't see the post above yours, sorry if you were referring to that one :P

ye, the one above. i was hoping he would see the OP lol. sorry for the confusion sir.

jjdude14

Bronze

Postby jjdude14 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Okay yeah judges was hard but the comparative reading for the experimental section was rough. For me it wasn't even balanced out by the easy first passage, it definitely made for a rough first section

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 pm

It sucks that I'm not going to be able to 100% determine the LR experimental.

When I was fresh out of the LSAT I was able to determine that one of the LR questions from my first LR section was likely real based on what was said by people who didn't have a LR experimental. However, I was only 90% confident as I couldn't 100% remember which LR question was in each section. At this point, 8+ hours out of the test I literally have no hope.

If my first LR was real, there is a decent chance that between my first LR and LG I went a combined -3 as the worst case scenario. That's downright sexy

For those with 3 LR sections, does anyone remember which section "Cars Sold to Junkyards for Parts" was in?

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Gluteus wrote:
dietcoked wrote:
abujabal wrote:
abujabal wrote:Yea, I took the test digital pilot. I wouldn't say I hate it, and in some aspects, it is a lot better (for the essay, depending on how you like to mark your RC/LR), but I still prefer old pencil and paper. It would be nice if we could get our scores automatically though...

Main concerns with going digital (even though this won't happen until after I'm done with the LSAT)
1. Most people, myself included, read faster and with better comprehension from paper than from digital devices (Study verified)
2. It would be harder to practice for real test conditions

digital blows. you cant mark up the passages. you can only use the built in text highlighter. it would be a huge difference.

although keeping track of time becomes trivia due to built in stop watch. and going back to review answers/skips is awesomely convenient.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?