-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

velyvely

New

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby velyvely » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am

black_mirror wrote:
Mikey wrote:
velyvely wrote:Is there no point of checking LSAC until it's at least 4pm? I remember in February icons turned grey at 4:57 or something and I got the email 1 minute later.

Also, I wonder why the Powerscore people are so set on it not being today. Pleaseeeeeeeeee :cry:

the PS people are just simply making predictions so I usually don't bother with what people's predictions are since no one besides LSAC knows when they will release scores.

tbh, it's not worth checking LSAC all day since most likely if scores come out it will be between 4 to 7pm. but either way, if you check here I'm sure someone will be refreshing all day and will scream gray when it happens so :mrgreen:

Not to spoil the "gray" mood around here but the PS predictions were very accurate for the June exam. I'm even wondering if they might have some insider sources at the LSAC. (not accusing anybody of anything btw, Dave and Jon are great!)

They've been accurate about release date ever since they started predicting them, right?

I wish LSAC would just pick a date and stick to it instead of having us flounder around in anxiety for multiple days lol

chewinggum

Bronze

Postby chewinggum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:08 am

jthel08 wrote:Gray in Connecticut as well!

your avi made today worth it

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

Also reporting in from Texas to say that the sky is as clear as can be. Not a cloud to be seen.

GnarMarBinx wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but what does TTTT mean?

Refers to tier 4 schools--mostly for-profit ones with LSAT medians of like ~145 and where fewer than half of their students get jobs.

Here's a list of more acronyms

black_mirror

Bronze

Postby black_mirror » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:10 am

velyvely wrote:
black_mirror wrote:
Not to spoil the "gray" mood around here but the PS predictions were very accurate for the June exam. I'm even wondering if they might have some insider sources at the LSAC. (not accusing anybody of anything btw, Dave and Jon are great!)

They've been accurate about release date ever since they started predicting them, right?

I wish LSAC would just pick a date and stick to it instead of having us flounder around in anxiety for multiple days lol

Not sure about their overall record but the June one was spot on. Yeah, if they could just always release the scores on the promised date it would be great! Haha maybe they get money for each refresh on their page? (there seem to be no ads though)

xiaoqiz

New

Postby xiaoqiz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am

Not gray until I saw this thread.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am

I just hope they come out today so I can finally apply to cooley with this 120 I'm about to get

thehours

New

Postby thehours » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:15 am

Mikey wrote:I just hope they come out today so I can finally apply to cooley with this 120 I'm about to get

LOL

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 am

thehours wrote:
Mikey wrote:I just hope they come out today so I can finally apply to cooley with this 120 I'm about to get

LOL

I'm sure they'd have a sweet scholly for you.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:18 am

wmbuff wrote:
thehours wrote:

LOL

I'd pay sticker, no scholly needed

blue2016

New

Postby blue2016 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am

black_mirror wrote:
velyvely wrote:
black_mirror wrote:

Not sure about their overall record but the June one was spot on. Yeah, if they could just always release the scores on the promised date it would be great! Haha maybe they get money for each refresh on their page? (there seem to be no ads though)

June '17 was actually the first time they got it right since at least before June '16.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 am

sev wrote:Also reporting in from Texas to say that the sky is as clear as can be. Not a cloud to be seen.

Refers to tier 4 schools--mostly for-profit ones with LSAT medians of like ~145 and where fewer than half of their students get jobs.

Ahh, I see. Thanks! We don't have those in Canada. I think you generally need at least a 160 or high 150 to get into any school here, but we only have like 16 common law schools. It's interesting to see the inequality in the law schools in America as compared to Canada. America seems to hold the best and the worst, while Canada's schools are all decent-to-good but not the best.

black_mirror

Bronze

Postby black_mirror » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:23 am

blue2016 wrote:
black_mirror wrote:
velyvely wrote:
black_mirror wrote:

June '17 was actually the first time they got it right since at least before June '16.

Well, then today is gray day!!! (#logicalflaw)

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 am

do you even sufficient assumption BRO?!?!?

icechicken

Bronze

Postby icechicken » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
sev wrote:Also reporting in from Texas to say that the sky is as clear as can be. Not a cloud to be seen.

Ahh, I see. Thanks! We don't have those in Canada. I think you generally need at least a 160 or high 150 to get into any school here, but we only have like 16 common law schools. It's interesting to see the inequality in the law schools in America as compared to Canada. America seems to hold the best and the worst, while Canada's schools are all decent-to-good but not the best.

The US is about 10 times as big, so you'd expect roughly 10 times as many. The extra volume means more definition, which is noticeable on the right tail of the curve (YSHCCN instead of just UToronto).

Then there's an extra couple dozen for-profit bottomfeeders which, frankly, shouldn't exist. Canada only has about two dozen private universities, mainly seminaries IIRC, and hardly any for-profits, so you guys don't really have an equivalent to that whole space.

Cmoney $$

New

Postby Cmoney $$ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:39 am

Mikey wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
thehours wrote:

LOL

I'd pay sticker, no scholly needed

Arizona Summit here I come!

I happened to be visiting my little sister in Phoenix for her birthday. While walking from dinner to the bar in the downtown area, I happened upon Arizona Summit Law School. I have to say, it was the saddest looking place I've ever witnessed. It looked like one of those strip mall alternative learning high schools. I think I read the aba is considering revoking their accreditation because their bar passage rate is less than 30%...

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:40 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:Ahh, I see. Thanks! We don't have those in Canada. I think you generally need at least a 160 or high 150 to get into any school here, but we only have like 16 common law schools. It's interesting to see the inequality in the law schools in America as compared to Canada. America seems to hold the best and the worst, while Canada's schools are all decent-to-good but not the best.

haha, the land of opportunity here.

But seriously that's an interesting observation. For profit law schools generate a very tiny minority of successful lawyers but mostly they just serve to transfer money from the bottom of the class to the top of the class--it certainly represents our American tendency to value sink-or-swim systems.

icechicken

Bronze

Postby icechicken » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:49 am

sev wrote:For profit law schools generate a very tiny minority of successful lawyers but mostly they just serve to transfer money from the bottom of the class to the top of the class--it certainly represents our American tendency to value sink-or-swim systems.

Most law schools do the bolded, given the widespread price discrimination that exists in the form of merit aid and other scholarships.

For-profits mostly just serve to transfer money from students (undersigned by taxpayers) to whoever owns the business.

augustyyy

New

Postby augustyyy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:01 pm

honestly I dont even mind studying and retaking LSAT millions of times I just hate this painful waiting. LSAC you hear me if you handed the scores like GMAT I guarantee your profits will increase like crazy!!!

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 pm

icechicken wrote:
sev wrote:For profit law schools generate a very tiny minority of successful lawyers but mostly they just serve to transfer money from the bottom of the class to the top of the class--it certainly represents our American tendency to value sink-or-swim systems.

Most law schools do the bolded, given the widespread price discrimination that exists in the form of merit aid and other scholarships.

For-profits mostly just serve to transfer money from students (undersigned by taxpayers) to whoever owns the business.

Sure--I was implying that some law schools at least give all students the opportunity to do something with their lives which means it's not strictly about transferring that money.

Not so much for the TTT though.

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 pm

how do people get notifications from specific schools about fee waivers? do you have to turn on the thing that lets every law school in america email you?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm

One more day. Just put me out of my dadgum misery LSAC, please.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Sunny AF in Seattle soooooooo I'm taking it as a sign that the gray has left us and gone to LSAC HQ, just like Dean Testy

That's how it works, right?

Bananabredz

New

Postby Bananabredz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:One more day. Just put me out of my dadgum misery LSAC, please.

Dadgum is right

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm

abujabal wrote:Sunny AF in Seattle soooooooo I'm taking it as a sign that the gray has left us and gone to LSAC HQ, just like Dean Testy

That's how it works, right?

Sunny in Georgia too after several cloudy days... the grey going to LSAC HQ is the only explanation
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bananabredz

New

Postby Bananabredz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm

It's gray af in Detroit. :oops:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?