-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

dietcoked

Bronze

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby dietcoked » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am

spicysalmonroll wrote:retakers: what's the game plan if your sept score turns out to be lower? sign up for december? just fuck it and apply?

I'm going retake in December and apply as soon as scores are out. Apparently December scores come out much earlier on average than it's projected date. In the meantime, I'll probably apply to Fordham + some other schools where I think my LSAT might not be a huge deal.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Postby CottonHarvest » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am

Do law schools go through and offer fee waivers in the week or two after scores come out or is it best to just email and ask for them?

jjdude14

Bronze

Postby jjdude14 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 am

Score dream last night: I checked and got a 171 (thank god) then it switched back to grey then green then I got a 173 (oh damn) then another grey green switch and I was at 146. Please help

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Postby DistrictDisaster » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:59 am

iammrsiglesias wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:My opinion doesn't mean much, but if I were an admissions officer and saw you'd taken the lsat 4 times and worked steadily to improve your score, I would never think poorly of you - the opposite if anything.

I'm also a splitter where lsat is going to seriously determine my list. My gpa is 3.95 and I have graduate degrees and 5+ years in legal research....but the lsat is killing me. I'm old which means I really need to find the sweet spot of going to a good school that will give me max chance to wind up in my desired job type, but also that will give me good funding (since I will have a shorter career to pay off loans). Some of the schools I initially wanted to target won't be feasible bc of lsat. Bah!

Yeah, I'm hoping adcomms will share your point of view! I'm definitely in the same spot as you though with the lsat. It's really the one thing holding me back..I feel like when you have a high GPA it makes it even harder to just settle for a score since you know there's really no ceiling on where you could attend.

I'm really frustrated by it too. I've taken the GRE twice and always done well (though only just ok on math b/c am slow) - I never expected this to kick my butt so much. The highest I've *ever* gotten on a PT was 174, and it only happened once. So I guess I'm a bit unsure - if I got say a 168, is it really worth retaking - under exam pressure conditions, is this more or less the best I'm capable of? Or is there something in my prep that I'm missing and I too could be one of these mythical high-170s people?? I don't know the answer.

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:59 am

spicysalmonroll wrote:retakers: what's the game plan if your sept score turns out to be lower? sign up for december? just fuck it and apply?

I'm just applying lol
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Postby MediocreAtBest » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 am

jjdude14 wrote:Score dream last night: I checked and got a 171 (thank god) then it switched back to grey then green then I got a 173 (oh damn) then another grey green switch and I was at 146. Please help

the lsat dreams (nightmares) are always super weird like that. In my last one, we all had to go to a park to physically collect our tests, an answer key, and score them ourselves. I went -3 in the first 15 questions of the very first section then I woke up lol.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 am

I'm taking december no matter what.
If my score is still <170, i'll send in my apps to all my safety schools (GWU, Vandy, Gtown, etc.)
If my score is 170+, I'll apply now and add a better score in January to help with scholarships / WL's

mmart207

Bronze

Postby mmart207 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am

Just finished having coffee with the Assistant Dean from WUSTL at a small information session. This school has moved to the top of my list very quickly!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am

mmart207 wrote: This school has moved to the top of my list very quickly!

wow, nice!! I really like WUSTL!

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 am

saf18hornet wrote:

I'm taking december no matter what.
If my score is still <170, i'll send in my apps to all my safety schools (GWU, Vandy, Gtown, etc.)
If my score is 170+, I'll apply now and add a better score in January to help with scholarships / WL's

what's the policy on apps that are submitted, then updated with newer scores? Wouldn't the schools see that you've registered for December and just defer your application for January review anyway?

dietcoked

Bronze

Postby dietcoked » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 am

Mikey wrote:

WUSTL's definitely on the up! What do you like specifically about it? I'm just worried if I end up getting in/attending that I'll be stuck in the Midwest and I need to be on the East Coast (hopefully NYC) for family reasons.

iammrsiglesias

New

Postby iammrsiglesias » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:My opinion doesn't mean much, but if I were an admissions officer and saw you'd taken the lsat 4 times and worked steadily to improve your score, I would never think poorly of you - the opposite if anything.

I'm also a splitter where lsat is going to seriously determine my list. My gpa is 3.95 and I have graduate degrees and 5+ years in legal research....but the lsat is killing me. I'm old which means I really need to find the sweet spot of going to a good school that will give me max chance to wind up in my desired job type, but also that will give me good funding (since I will have a shorter career to pay off loans). Some of the schools I initially wanted to target won't be feasible bc of lsat. Bah!

Yeah, I'm hoping adcomms will share your point of view! I'm definitely in the same spot as you though with the lsat. It's really the one thing holding me back..I feel like when you have a high GPA it makes it even harder to just settle for a score since you know there's really no ceiling on where you could attend.

I'm really frustrated by it too. I've taken the GRE twice and always done well (though only just ok on math b/c am slow) - I never expected this to kick my butt so much. The highest I've *ever* gotten on a PT was 174, and it only happened once. So I guess I'm a bit unsure - if I got say a 168, is it really worth retaking - under exam pressure conditions, is this more or less the best I'm capable of? Or is there something in my prep that I'm missing and I too could be one of these mythical high-170s people?? I don't know the answer.

Yeah, no one can really answer those questions for you. Something that has helped me though is keeping things in perspective based on my goals. Like I definitely would love to attend a T6, but for my goals its certainly not required. Being an overachiever, its easy to get wrapped up in prestige and this pressure to meet your own (often unreasonable) standards. Obviously if you think you can score higher, go for a retake. Just don't think that a 168/3.95 is a bad place to be in--others would kill for those stats and you'll be in a good position either way.

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:28 am

dietcoked wrote:
Mikey wrote:

WUSTL's definitely on the up! What do you like specifically about it? I'm just worried if I end up getting in/attending that I'll be stuck in the Midwest and I need to be on the East Coast (hopefully NYC) for family reasons.

They seem to do well with placement into NYC. I'm in the South, and more worried about their placement here. Thankfully, Alabama seems to have a similar scholarship strategy and good regional reach, so I'd have choices.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmart207

Bronze

Postby mmart207 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am

dietcoked wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Well for starters, the school's high employment and bar passage rates are great. The dean made it very clear how important student success is to WUSTL, as well as the vast number of resources available to promote student success, especially in terms of the transition to law school. She made it clear that the university's community is very close and personal, which is something that is very important to me. The school has a great number of clinics, especially in the Criminal field, which is what I want to get into. She also touched on how the opportunities the school provides makes it so that graduates are not stuck in the Midwest per say, which I think addresses your fear.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am

dietcoked wrote:
Mikey wrote:

their employment numbers and bar passage rate are pretty good for a school outside the T13/T14, their biglaw numbers imo are impressive as well for a school outside the T14/T13, being from NYC and having been here my whole life I think St. Louis would be a good change for 3 yrs, and of course the best of all the scholarship $$$$$$$$$$

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am

wmbuff wrote:They seem to do well with placement into NYC. I'm in the South, and more worried about their placement here. Thankfully, Alabama seems to have a similar scholarship strategy and good regional reach, so I'd have choices.

I asked about this during my interview. I'm from Georgia and I'd like to return to this general region, Atlanta would be ideal. She told me that a big part of their lower placement in the South is self selection. She said that they generally don't have a problem placing students in these areas if its where they want to be.

also sorry if that message doesn't make sense. operating on very little sleep lol

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:43 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
wmbuff wrote:They seem to do well with placement into NYC. I'm in the South, and more worried about their placement here. Thankfully, Alabama seems to have a similar scholarship strategy and good regional reach, so I'd have choices.

I asked about this during my interview. I'm from Georgia and I'd like to return to this general region, Atlanta would be ideal. She told me that a big part of their lower placement in the South is self selection. She said that they generally don't have a problem placing students in these areas if its where they want to be.

also sorry if that message doesn't make sense. operating on very little sleep lol

It makes perfect sense, and it's very encouraging. Now, whether I can get a school I'd have to fly to and from past my wife's approval is another question, but I'm definitely applying, and eagerly.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon-e-miss

Bronze

Postby Anon-e-miss » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

How confident are y'all that today will be grey day?
Last edited by Anon-e-miss on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

wmbuff wrote:It makes perfect sense, and it's very encouraging. Now, whether I can get a school I'd have to fly to and from past my wife's approval is another question, but I'm definitely applying, and eagerly.

Selling my s/o on St. Louis was surprisingly easy. :lol:

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

Anon-e-miss wrote:How confident are y'all that today will be grey day?

not confident at all. like 20%

sabraph

Bronze

Postby sabraph » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:48 am

*cough* good poll idea *cough*

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 am

ehh, I feel like it may be tomorrow instead of today but I will still refresh like crazy come around 3pm

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
wmbuff wrote:It makes perfect sense, and it's very encouraging. Now, whether I can get a school I'd have to fly to and from past my wife's approval is another question, but I'm definitely applying, and eagerly.

Selling my s/o on St. Louis was surprisingly easy. :lol:

Long term, yes, it's a great city for her. But she's keeping her current job while I'm in school.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 am

wmbuff wrote:
Long term, yes, it's a great city for her. But she's keeping her current job while I'm in school.

Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense. How often would you be planning to fly? Sounds expensive. :(

mwells56

Silver

Postby mwells56 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:

I'm just applying lol

Yeah, I'm not about to sign up for a fourth take. At this point with a 166 and a 3.7+ GPA I'd have an outside shot at Michigan and some other t14s and I'd probably be in at WashU, Vandy, and Fordham. I'd probably go for Vandy at that point and be satisfied.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?