-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Mikey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:02 pm

iammrsiglesias wrote:Thanks for the input! RC destroyed me too, so I think I'll be retaking in December as well. You're probably right about the fourth take not mattering since the highest score is all that schools have to report. That's a good point about it coming up in interviews as well..I hadn't really considered that. I guess my biggest concern is that there will be very little scholarship $$$ left in January. But let's all just pray to the LSAT gods for a generous curve and hopefully we won't even need a retake :)

yeah, I mean I think it really depends where you're applying. Because some schools don't give out lots of their decisions until some time after people get dec. scores (NYU for example take a long ass time to give lots of decisions lmao).

you can still get a good scholly at a good school with a December score, it just really depends on how that school has done up until that point when they decide about you.

iammrsiglesias

New

Postby iammrsiglesias » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Mikey wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:Thanks for the input! RC destroyed me too, so I think I'll be retaking in December as well. You're probably right about the fourth take not mattering since the highest score is all that schools have to report. That's a good point about it coming up in interviews as well..I hadn't really considered that. I guess my biggest concern is that there will be very little scholarship $$$ left in January. But let's all just pray to the LSAT gods for a generous curve and hopefully we won't even need a retake :)

yeah, I mean I think it really depends where you're applying. Because some schools don't give out lots of their decisions until some time after people get dec. scores (NYU for example take a long ass time to give lots of decisions lmao).

you can still get a good scholly at a good school with a December score, it just really depends on how that school has done up until that point when they decide about you.

I'm a reverse splitter right now, so my application strategy will depend a lot on if my LSAT improved. UChi is the dream, but I would only attend with significant scholly since my goals (at least for now) are just corporate biglaw. You're definitely right though..seems like there's just a lot more uncertainty when you apply later.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Postby DistrictDisaster » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:33 pm

My opinion doesn't mean much, but if I were an admissions officer and saw you'd taken the lsat 4 times and worked steadily to improve your score, I would never think poorly of you - the opposite if anything.

I'm also a splitter where lsat is going to seriously determine my list. My gpa is 3.95 and I have graduate degrees and 5+ years in legal research....but the lsat is killing me. I'm old which means I really need to find the sweet spot of going to a good school that will give me max chance to wind up in my desired job type, but also that will give me good funding (since I will have a shorter career to pay off loans). Some of the schools I initially wanted to target won't be feasible bc of lsat. Bah!

OldSpeedoGuy

New

Postby OldSpeedoGuy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Mikey wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:
Mikey wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:Definitely retaking in December unless I did way better than I think (wanted a 170, would take a 168 I think). I am oooold and it really needs to be this cycle or never.

I'm with you on the score thing, I feel so bad about that test that I'd be amazed if I pulled off a 168 which would result in me doing back flips and breaking my neck

I'm in the same boat as you two (would probably suffer worse injuries than a broken neck if I attempted a back flip tho..)

Isn't this your third take, Mikey? I'm debating on how a fourth take will look and would love another opinion.

yes this was my third take, and if I did bad (which I wouldn't doubt considering RC slaughtered me) I will take December without giving it a second thought. idk how 4 takes looks, but I sure as hell know that they mostly just care about your highest score. although I've always figured that if I have 4 takes on my record it might be brought up in like an interview or something but I've spoken to some people and they all say that isn't likely. idk if they actually would or not but who knows. I've seen a few people on here who took 3 and 4 times who ended up at good schools. but with the new retake rule, idk how schools will see things now although I assume they may just still care about getting your numbers regardless of any rule changes

Hoping that the third time was a charm, but December will be my fourth time too.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:56 pm

TFW no gray day...

and no new poll

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm

abujabal wrote:TFW no gray day...

and no new poll

yeah wasn't expecting today to be gray day since it's Columbus Day, whatever the hell that means to some people. I may start to refresh a ton tomorrow tho

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm

I'd say tomorrow would have been the best bet for grey day assuming the hurricanes didn't happen.

My fate until the LSAT comes out is pretty much refreshing the LSAC page every 30 minutes. Hoping it comes out tomorrow

I got really unlucky in that I got scheduled to work 8 hours a day between October 6th and 12th. It makes the wait significantly harder. I wish I could wake up and goof off hard to pass time.

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:52 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Gluteus wrote:I think I'm finding the LSAT wait way harder than I will the law school admissions wait.

The main schools (Canadian) I'm interested in are purely based on numbers. The application process is more or less a technicality. An adequate LSAT score is essentially an acceptance letter for me.

Your're Canadian? I am Canadian too and applying to schools only in Ontario. What schools are you looking at?

UBC
UVIC/Alberta/Calgary
Dal

I have family in BC and Atlantic Canada, so I'm targeting schools that are ideal for those markets. Not much interest in Ontario.

You gunning for UoT?

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Has anyone read We Were Eight Years in Power yet? Just ordered on Amazon

sev

Bronze

Postby sev » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 pm

april_ludgate wrote:How am I supposed to do literally anything during grey week???? I'm trying to read 100 pages on the Muslim diaspora in America right now for class, and every half a page I check LSAC just in case. Erg. Anyone else in this boat?

I just keep this thread up in a tab and occasionally hit refresh. I figure if something's happening this thread will start to blow up within 10 minutes. :P

creed wrote:Has anyone read We Were Eight Years in Power yet? Just ordered on Amazon

I'm running about 10 years behind on my reading list. Only just listening to Obama's Audacity of Hope.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Gluteus wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Gluteus wrote:I think I'm finding the LSAT wait way harder than I will the law school admissions wait.

The main schools (Canadian) I'm interested in are purely based on numbers. The application process is more or less a technicality. An adequate LSAT score is essentially an acceptance letter for me.

Your're Canadian? I am Canadian too and applying to schools only in Ontario. What schools are you looking at?

UBC
UVIC/Alberta/Calgary
Dal

I have family in BC and Atlantic Canada, so I'm targeting schools that are ideal for those markets. Not much interest in Ontario.

You gunning for UoT?

Short answer: sort of. I first have see how hard I bombed in September and then see if I can up my score enough in December or February. My GPA looks decent so it's basically all riding on the LSAT at this point -- however, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get up there in this cycle. If I got in, I'd still have a tough decision choosing whether to go there or a school I might enjoy more.

That's awesome, though. All those are good schools and that totally makes sense based on your family situation. I hope you get the results you're hoping for in the next few days!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am

My biggest LSAT pet peeve is when people call the LSAT "the LSATs"

y

181plz

Bronze

Postby 181plz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 am

Mikey wrote:My biggest LSAT pet peeve is when people call the LSAT "the LSATs"

y

Agreed. Rachel did this on suits and I hated her guts for it

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 am

y

I think I might actually be more bothered when folks take the time to spell it out.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Postby DistrictDisaster » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:46 am

So here's a question. Why would the weather delays for some LSAT administrations actually force a later score release? Same number of tests, just need to score certain geographical regions last. Or am I getting way too logical for LSAC?

Just hoping it is today. Put me out of my misery already. Basically I am Old Yeller.

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:So here's a question. Why would the weather delays for some LSAT administrations actually force a later score release? Same number of tests, just need to score certain geographical regions last. Or am I getting way too logical for LSAC?

Just hoping it is today. Put me out of my misery already. Basically I am Old Yeller.

It may be that the limited staff resources of LSAC have to be diverted from the grading process to the rescheduling process, causing a delay in the grading process.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Postby saf18hornet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 am

Dear LSAC, can I have my score please so I know how crazy my addendum will need to be after I get my 175 in December

sabraph

Bronze

Postby sabraph » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 am

LSAC is maddeningly inconsistent when it comes to previous score release time frames. The last September test was released 24 days after test day, the test before was an October admin and was released 19 days. September cycle before that was 23 days.

The sky outside in OK is literally gray. I'm going to call that a sign. I'm also in an ag town so if the score doesn't come today a lot of cows are going to start disappearing.

black_mirror

Bronze

Postby black_mirror » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:So here's a question. Why would the weather delays for some LSAT administrations actually force a later score release? Same number of tests, just need to score certain geographical regions last. Or am I getting way too logical for LSAC?

It also might be the case that scoring the whole batch together if faster than scoring two batches?

Ntp73821

Silver

Postby Ntp73821 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am

black_mirror wrote:It also might be the case that scoring the whole batch together if faster than scoring two batches?

Maybe, but I doubt they'd squander a whole week waiting for makeup tests to be taken. Doesn't seem LSAC like to not use the time to score or something.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iammrsiglesias

New

Postby iammrsiglesias » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am

OldSpeedoGuy wrote:
Mikey wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:
Mikey wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:Definitely retaking in December unless I did way better than I think (wanted a 170, would take a 168 I think). I am oooold and it really needs to be this cycle or never.

I'm with you on the score thing, I feel so bad about that test that I'd be amazed if I pulled off a 168 which would result in me doing back flips and breaking my neck

I'm in the same boat as you two (would probably suffer worse injuries than a broken neck if I attempted a back flip tho..)

Isn't this your third take, Mikey? I'm debating on how a fourth take will look and would love another opinion.

yes this was my third take, and if I did bad (which I wouldn't doubt considering RC slaughtered me) I will take December without giving it a second thought. idk how 4 takes looks, but I sure as hell know that they mostly just care about your highest score. although I've always figured that if I have 4 takes on my record it might be brought up in like an interview or something but I've spoken to some people and they all say that isn't likely. idk if they actually would or not but who knows. I've seen a few people on here who took 3 and 4 times who ended up at good schools. but with the new retake rule, idk how schools will see things now although I assume they may just still care about getting your numbers regardless of any rule changes

Hoping that the third time was a charm, but December will be my fourth time too.

Well its somewhat of a relief to know I'm not the only one! Hoping for the best, but prepared to take on December too 8)

iammrsiglesias

New

Postby iammrsiglesias » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:My opinion doesn't mean much, but if I were an admissions officer and saw you'd taken the lsat 4 times and worked steadily to improve your score, I would never think poorly of you - the opposite if anything.

I'm also a splitter where lsat is going to seriously determine my list. My gpa is 3.95 and I have graduate degrees and 5+ years in legal research....but the lsat is killing me. I'm old which means I really need to find the sweet spot of going to a good school that will give me max chance to wind up in my desired job type, but also that will give me good funding (since I will have a shorter career to pay off loans). Some of the schools I initially wanted to target won't be feasible bc of lsat. Bah!

Yeah, I'm hoping adcomms will share your point of view! I'm definitely in the same spot as you though with the lsat. It's really the one thing holding me back..I feel like when you have a high GPA it makes it even harder to just settle for a score since you know there's really no ceiling on where you could attend.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am

iammrsiglesias wrote:Well its somewhat of a relief to know I'm not the only one! Hoping for the best, but prepared to take on December too 8)

ditto. good luck!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

181plz wrote:

y

Agreed. Rachel did this on suits and I hated her guts for it

yeah I remember that and I couldn't stop thinking who the annoying individual was that wrote the script

spicysalmonroll

New

Postby spicysalmonroll » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:44 am

retakers: what's the game plan if your sept score turns out to be lower? sign up for december? just fuck it and apply?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?