5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

wmbuff

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby wmbuff » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 am

Mikey wrote:Nyc comic con 8)

Have fun! I'll be at a much smaller, literary science fiction con, Capclave, in the DC suburbs.

Bartlet4President

Postby Bartlet4President » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:42 am

Can we just get these damn scores already?

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 am

wmbuff wrote:
Mikey wrote:Nyc comic con 8)

Have fun! I'll be at a much smaller, literary science fiction con, Capclave, in the DC suburbs.

Thanks! Have fun as well!!

RSolano

Postby RSolano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 am

-
Last edited by RSolano on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

twiix

Postby twiix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 am

RSolano wrote:So... I tested at the center who lost score sheets. Retaking on the 14th. Hadn't been studying so just getting back into it. Tips? Things you all would do differently? Predictions? Appreciate the help!

enjoy the blessing, child. the lsat gods are looking over you.

RSolano

Postby RSolano » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:37 am

enjoy the blessing, child. the lsat gods are looking over you.[/quote]

Lolll! That wasn't how I saw it at first but now trying to see the positives and make the best of it!
Last edited by RSolano on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Postby wmbuff » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 am

RSolano wrote:
twiix wrote:
RSolano wrote:So... I tested at the center who lost score sheets. Retaking on the 14th. Hadn't been studying so just getting back into it. Tips? Things you all would do differently? Predictions? Appreciate the help!

enjoy the blessing, child. the lsat gods are looking over you.

Lolll! That wasn't how I saw it at first but now trying to see the positives and make the best of it!

Some days, you dive-bomb the judges, some days, the judges dive-bomb you.

sabraph

Postby sabraph » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 am

creed wrote:does anyone else feel like there's like a 10 point window of scores that wouldn't surprise them???

162-172

twiix

Postby twiix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am

sabraph wrote:
creed wrote:does anyone else feel like there's like a 10 point window of scores that wouldn't surprise them???

162-172

I'm hoping this is my window as well, and not something stupid like 152-162 lmao

Gluteus

Postby Gluteus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 am

sabraph wrote:

162-172

Pretty much the same with me.

LG is a confident -0
LR 1 is a confident worst case scenario of -5 (Most likely scenario of -3 or so)

RC and the second real LR could be almost anything. Despite never getting less than 20 right on a LR section in 30+ pratice timed sections, there is a possibility that I fell below this range for the first time in my life because of inadequate preparation for fatigue; particular at 8:30 in the morning. Of course, it's also possible I did not.

RC has always been a section with a lot of variance. So it's hard to predict that one too.

The end result is I will not be surprised with a score anywhere between low 160s and low 170s.

pricon

Postby pricon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 am

OMG scores are out!!!

jthel08

Postby jthel08 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am

pricon wrote:OMG scores are out!!!

lol

twiix

Postby twiix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 am

See circle 9. You betrayed us.

[+] Spoiler

allezallez21

Postby allezallez21 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 am

I'm with you on that. The poll responses are narrow enough that I can't decide.

My last 15 PT stats were:
176.4 avg
177 median
173-180 range

During the actual test I felt fine, but unable to judge my actual performance. With each passing day I've become less certain. I really could see me getting a 170 where nerves got to me, or maybe all that learning took over on a subconscious level and I walk away with a 178. I've also become more and more accepting with a lower score. Used to think it was 177+ or bust, now I'd be ok with a 174. I am fairly certain I got at least 2 specific questions wrong on LR, so the 180 is most likely gone.

pricon

Postby pricon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am

twiix wrote:

See circle 9. You betrayed us.

[+] Spoiler

To be fair, Circle 9 is the most prestigious.

abujabal

Postby abujabal » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 am

I see it's this inevitable time of any standardized test score release :D

ilpsm

Postby ilpsm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm

since we're getting closer to score release..

does anyone have thoughts on applying and updating LSAT score after a retake vs. waiting to apply?

i have the rest of my application set and am shooting to go somewhere like NYU or UVA at a significant discount if possible though i'm not adverse to paying full boat there or at somewhere like harvard or yale were the gods to grace me with an acceptance at one of those. i was consistently 177-180 on my last several PTs but think I may have done worse on this one and am thinking I'll retake anything below a 173. do you think applying now and updating an lsat score were i to do better on the december administration is a better plan than waiting to apply altogether?

hopefully it doesn't come down to that anyway but you never know

still shook most of you prefer whiskey to vodka, also

mmart207

Postby mmart207 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Received an email to have coffee with the assistant dean of admissions from WUSTL the morning of the Chicago LSAC forum. Do you guys think it'd be worth it? Considering that she'd be at the forum later that day either way?

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:27 pm

ilpsm wrote:does anyone have thoughts on applying and updating LSAT score after a retake vs. waiting to apply?

This often doesn't work because your application decision comes back before you get the new score. It's good to apply early, especially for splitters, but it's better to apply on time (December LSAT isn't THAT late) with the right numbers. (Also, timing doesn't matter for Yale.)

If you get a 170-172 I'd apply to your NYUs and UVAs (assuming you have the right profile overall to get accepted) but wait on the retake for HYS. If you bust out an awesome December score you can use it (and/or your eventual HLS admission, should that happen) as ammunition during scholarship negotiations. If you somehow score 169 or worse, and you're confident you can turn it around in December, I'd just wait on that score for all your apps. Whisky is the best.

mmart207 wrote:Received an email to have coffee with the assistant dean of admissions from WUSTL the morning of the Chicago LSAC forum. Do you guys think it'd be worth it? Considering that she'd be at the forum later that day either way?

Why not? At worst it's free coffee.

mmart207

Postby mmart207 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:30 pm

icechicken wrote:
ilpsm wrote:does anyone have thoughts on applying and updating LSAT score after a retake vs. waiting to apply?

This often doesn't work because your application decision comes back before you get the new score. It's good to apply early, especially for splitters, but it's better to apply on time (December LSAT isn't THAT late) with the right numbers. (Also, timing doesn't matter for Yale.)

If you get a 170-172 I'd apply to your NYUs and UVAs (assuming you have the right profile overall to get accepted) but wait on the retake for HYS. If you bust out an awesome December score you can use it (and/or your eventual HLS admission, should that happen) as ammunition during scholarship negotiations. If you somehow score 169 or worse, and you're confident you can turn it around in December, I'd just wait on that score for all your apps. Whisky is the best.

mmart207 wrote:Received an email to have coffee with the assistant dean of admissions from WUSTL the morning of the Chicago LSAC forum. Do you guys think it'd be worth it? Considering that she'd be at the forum later that day either way?

I'm not sure if she's paying for the coffee lol. And it's something you have to RSVP for so I don't think I'd be getting any personal time with her since there will most likely be other potential applicants there as well.

Cmoney $$

Postby Cmoney $$ » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:47 pm

mmart207 wrote:
icechicken wrote:

I'm not sure if she's paying for the coffee lol. And it's something you have to RSVP for so I don't think I'd be getting any personal time with her since there will most likely be other potential applicants there as well.

I received the same email and haven't shown the slightest interest in WUSTL and am not registered for the Chicago forum. Maybe a blast email?

Rupert Pupkin

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:48 pm

ilpsm wrote:since we're getting closer to score release..

does anyone have thoughts on applying and updating LSAT score after a retake vs. waiting to apply?

i have the rest of my application set and am shooting to go somewhere like NYU or UVA at a significant discount if possible though i'm not adverse to paying full boat there or at somewhere like harvard or yale were the gods to grace me with an acceptance at one of those. i was consistently 177-180 on my last several PTs but think I may have done worse on this one and am thinking I'll retake anything below a 173. do you think applying now and updating an lsat score were i to do better on the december administration is a better plan than waiting to apply altogether?

I was debating this as well. In pretty much the exact same boat. If you apply with a 172 (lets say) and dont get waitlisted, but denied than your retake wont even matter? so thats a gamble you have to be willing to take right? or are you guys saying you notify some schools of the retake and they put a "hold" on your file?

saf18hornet

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Anyone here applying to Vandy/WUSTL? I am starting to get more interested but hesitant because of location (coming from NYC). I know ~15% of 2016 Vandy grads and ~14% of WUSTL grads ended up in NY. Just wondering if the culture/location will be super alien.

My 2 cents, both of these locations are in big enough metros that you won't notice a cultural change. Most people in Nashville are from FL, CA, NY anyway.

saf18hornet

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Anyone here applying to Vandy/WUSTL? I am starting to get more interested but hesitant because of location (coming from NYC). I know ~15% of 2016 Vandy grads and ~14% of WUSTL grads ended up in NY. Just wondering if the culture/location will be super alien.

the GRE thing? I thought that was only WUSTL?

ugh, might have to abandon the LSAT and go with the GRE and study for a week and get its equivalent of a 180

MY GRE score is way lower than my lsat. But i'm a simple man with a limited vocabulary. GRE verbal sucks IMO.

ilpsm

Postby ilpsm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
ilpsm wrote:since we're getting closer to score release..

I was debating this as well. In pretty much the exact same boat. If you apply with a 172 (lets say) and dont get waitlisted, but denied than your retake wont even matter? so thats a gamble you have to be willing to take right? or are you guys saying you notify some schools of the retake and they put a "hold" on your file?

Yeah, the more I think about it the sillier it seems to apply while planning on retaking. I'm not really a gambling man and I think it would probably stress me out even more to apply places and not hear back for so long. I think there's just too much time between September and December score releases.

Hopefully won't have to deal with this though, all comes down to how I handled going through Judges and the final passage at warp speed - don't really think I got more than 1-2 wrong on the rest of the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”