154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

wmbuff

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby wmbuff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:20 pm

creed wrote:does anyone else feel like there's like a 10 point window of scores that wouldn't surprise them???

No, but diagnostic to highest PT was only +8, and scoring lower would be surprising to me (as would above my highest PT).

iammrsiglesias

Postby iammrsiglesias » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:24 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:
Mikey wrote:
abujabal wrote:
creed wrote:does anyone else feel like there's like a 10 point window of scores that wouldn't surprise them???

When I walked out, I was certain that my window is 167 to 177.

Still feels that way, and I don't think that's a good thing

I feel like mine is a 120 to 130 10 point window :/

^^I feel the same way. Honestly I think my confidence just keeps diminishing the closer we get to grey day :(

God, me too. If my window was 167-177 I'd lose it from joy. I'm worried more about the 157-167 window.

Same...This is my third take, and I'm pretty terrified that my score dropped. Though I felt the same way in December last year and did better than I anticipated. Hopefully we can get a similar result this time around :D

DistrictDisaster

Postby DistrictDisaster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:25 pm

wmbuff wrote:

No, but diagnostic to highest PT was only +8, and scoring lower would be surprising to me (as would above my highest PT).

This is me, but +7. 163 on my first test - average on PTs was 170 with occasional 167, 172, 174. I really wanted a 170 but don't think I got it. I managed my time really poorly and honestly don't remember anything except that I didn't even finish the RC.

ugatvandy

Postby ugatvandy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:05 pm

merdblah wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Anyone here applying to Vandy/WUSTL? I am starting to get more interested but hesitant because of location (coming from NYC). I know ~15% of 2016 Vandy grads and ~14% of WUSTL grads ended up in NY. Just wondering if the culture/location will be super alien.

This is exactly where I am with both. I'm applying but hoping I end up at neither.

I hear Nashville is nice. I have a friend who got a full ride to Mizzou med and left after a year because of the environment, so I'm hesitant on WUSTL. If you got a waiver I'd say screw it, apply.

STL native here--I would say that Columbia and St. Louis (and thus WUSTL and Mizzou) are nothing alike. Mizzou has a generally fratty feel, so that may be the reason it wasn't a good fit for your friend. I'll admit that St. Louis obviously differs greatly from Chicago or NYC, but there's a ton to do here. Great food, bars, sports, tons of museums, etc. I think it's worth applying if you have a waiver!

Yeah, another native. Like was said above, Mizzou is no where near St Louis. It's in a typical college town where most people go simply because they were fans of the football team growing up. Which leads to that fratty feel they mentioned.

WUSTL however is situated in probably the nicest (and richest) area of St Louis. So there are a lot of cultural things nearby (Forest Park for instance has a well regarded outdoor theatre where they put on musicals during the summer). It's also the fastest growing startup city in the country. So it's getting a lot younger with local businesses popping up, etc. And if you want real life experience in activism I'm sure St Louis will continue to provide law students plenty of opportunities to provide legal advice to protesters and such in the near future :p (but also :( )

Edit to add: Cheap cost of living!

Also a Missouri native-- can agree with what's been said above.

Also, I went to Vandy for undergrad. Nashville is, as has already been mentioned, a really great city. And Vandy has a really great campus and is close to many parks and restaurants and cafes and shops. Would be willing to give recommendations/talk to you more about the city if you'd like.

heyduchess

Postby heyduchess » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

creed wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
creed wrote:The two best live performances I’ve ever been to are Bruce Springsteen and Bo Burnham. Very different but if you ever get a chance to see either, take it. Though it seems Bo may be done with writing for himself :(

I've seen both! I met Bo when I was 17 and aggressively camped out to be front row of one of his shows. It was like "I'm Bo Yo" or "Bo Fo Sho" era.

WHAT. was a masterpiece, though. BO OH MY GOD

wow you were really there before it was netflix bo. well done.

Oh I was into Bo like early YouTube Bo haha. Started listening to him in 2008.

chewinggum

Postby chewinggum » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:15 pm

ugatvandy wrote:
merdblah wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:
STL native here--I would say that Columbia and St. Louis (and thus WUSTL and Mizzou) are nothing alike. Mizzou has a generally fratty feel, so that may be the reason it wasn't a good fit for your friend. I'll admit that St. Louis obviously differs greatly from Chicago or NYC, but there's a ton to do here. Great food, bars, sports, tons of museums, etc. I think it's worth applying if you have a waiver!

Yeah, another native. Like was said above, Mizzou is no where near St Louis. It's in a typical college town where most people go simply because they were fans of the football team growing up. Which leads to that fratty feel they mentioned.

WUSTL however is situated in probably the nicest (and richest) area of St Louis. So there are a lot of cultural things nearby (Forest Park for instance has a well regarded outdoor theatre where they put on musicals during the summer). It's also the fastest growing startup city in the country. So it's getting a lot younger with local businesses popping up, etc. And if you want real life experience in activism I'm sure St Louis will continue to provide law students plenty of opportunities to provide legal advice to protesters and such in the near future :p (but also :( )

Also, I went to Vandy for undergrad. Nashville is, as has already been mentioned, a really great city. And Vandy has a really great campus and is close to many parks and restaurants and cafes and shops. Would be willing to give recommendations/talk to you more about the city if you'd like.

I haven't been to either. But oooohhh @ bolded! I love that!

merdblah

Postby merdblah » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

chewinggum wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:
merdblah wrote:
iammrsiglesias wrote:

I haven't been to either. But oooohhh @ bolded! I love that!

Some reading on that
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/st ... -frontier/

heyduchess

Postby heyduchess » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:23 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

This is me, but +7. 163 on my first test - average on PTs was 170 with occasional 167, 172, 174. I really wanted a 170 but don't think I got it. I managed my time really poorly and honestly don't remember anything except that I didn't even finish the RC.

I scored between a 167 and 174 on pretty much every PT after my diagnostic. 169 in June. JUST. GIVE. ME. ONE. POINT.

merdblah

Postby merdblah » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm

I feel like by responding first and pessimistically to the poll I may have skewed results down...? I remember June everyone was 170+ no problem in the poll despite the mixed feelings in the thread :p

sodomojo

Postby sodomojo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:22 pm

merdblah wrote:I feel like by responding first and pessimistically to the poll I may have skewed results down...? I remember June everyone was 170+ no problem in the poll despite the mixed feelings in the thread :p

People look at the results first before voting? Cheaters.. :P

wmbuff

Postby wmbuff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

sodomojo wrote:
merdblah wrote:I feel like by responding first and pessimistically to the poll I may have skewed results down...? I remember June everyone was 170+ no problem in the poll despite the mixed feelings in the thread :p

People look at the results first before voting? Cheaters.. :P

Perhaps some do, but they won't sway me.

ETA: Finally added a profile picture so y'all can keep track of which stranger I am.

twiix

Postby twiix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 pm

chewinggum wrote:
twiix wrote:Applying to both, but obviously hoping for better financial outcomes at higher ranked schools. I'd be happy at either, but Nashville is AMAZING. I'd love to be there for a few years. I'm planning on focusing on IP law, so I have a golden ticket to big law, so I'm not too concerned with placement statistics (within reason)

Would you take sticker at a t10 over like 75% at WUSTL?

Well I have literally 0 chance at T6, so if we consider the above w/ my realistic dream school, Duke... I don't know what I would do. Part of me wants to say I would, because I plan on doing biglaw, but at the same time I finished UG with literally 100k of loans, and they fucking suck.

This is my legit worst nightmare, because I have no fucking clue what I would do despite knowing that Duke gives me opportunities for my ideal future that WUSTL simply cant. We shall see what happens with this test first, but It would be incredibly hard to pass up a 75% scholly.

creed

Postby creed » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Speaking of financial aid, I know this is a testy debate on TLS but:

Does anyone have strong feelings on HYS at near-sticker vs CCN paying 50% or less?

icechicken

Postby icechicken » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 pm

creed wrote:Speaking of financial aid, I know this is a testy debate on TLS but:

Does anyone have strong feelings on HYS at near-sticker vs CCN paying 50% or less?

For me it'd be CCN easily. If you're gunning for ACLU-style impact-lit/academia/SCOTUS clerkship and money is no object, then HYS starts to win out in that comparison.

april_ludgate

Postby april_ludgate » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 pm

icechicken wrote:
creed wrote:Speaking of financial aid, I know this is a testy debate on TLS but:

For me it'd be CCN easily. If you're gunning for ACLU-style impact-lit/academia/SCOTUS clerkship and money is no object, then HYS starts to win out in that comparison.

What if you're really gunning for that stuff BUT money is an object? That's where I'm at haha. No family help but no chance really at aid, and $50k of undergrad loans

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 am

I haven't been posting much because I feel down about my score. I'm probably hopefully overthinking it.

But more importantly, how much is too much money to spend on Star Wars Legos?

wmbuff

Postby wmbuff » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:42 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:I haven't been posting much because I feel down about my score. I'm probably hopefully overthinking it.

Does this involve a totally sweet Millenium Falcon?

Barry grandpapy

Postby Barry grandpapy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 am

wmbuff wrote:
Barry grandpapy wrote:I haven't been posting much because I feel down about my score. I'm probably hopefully overthinking it.

Does this involve a totally sweet Millenium Falcon?

Yes :D

Oh my God I'm so glad you already know

sodomojo

Postby sodomojo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 am

april_ludgate wrote:
icechicken wrote:

What if you're really gunning for that stuff BUT money is an object? That's where I'm at haha. No family help but no chance really at aid, and $50k of undergrad loans

Probably depends on just how badly you want the HYS-type outcome then. Unless it's academia/clerkship or bust, then most would probably still go with CCN$$$. Cash is king.

april_ludgate

Postby april_ludgate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:02 am

sodomojo wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
icechicken wrote:

Probably depends on just how badly you want the HYS-type outcome then. Unless it's academia/clerkship or bust, then most would probably still go with CCN$$$. Cash is king.

What about Harvard for sticker vs UVA 75% scholarship? With those same goals.

PrezRand

Postby PrezRand » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 am

Mikey wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:i can get down to some motionless in white. im a bigger fan of ADTR though

I like ADTR!! :)

What other bands do u like??

Have u heard of cane hill? I'm going to see them this month and I'm super hype

I used to be into some super heavy stuff like August Burns Red, lamb of god, children of bodom, etc. Also like some semi-heavy stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and ADTR as well.

Now I listen to a lot of alternative rock/indie, rap, and still some metal as well as a LOT of jazz. LOL my music interests are weird as f

word. I like ABR, and tbh I was never really a fan of lamb of god. I tried since high school to like them but nothing :/

WATS GOOD BRO

jjdude14

Postby jjdude14 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 am

littlewing67 wrote:Ok y'all thanks for the input. Think I'm going to apply anyways (I have fee waivers so why not), and then go visit. I am very open minded person but I know sometimes I can feel alienated since I am city slicker/liberal/vegan and would *prefer* to be in that sort of environment (looking at you berkeley), but will def not close the door on those options. I do love outdoors stuff and not spending eternity in traffic so that would be a plus.

:mrgreen:

Honestly I'm from Iowa so I may not be the best resource (discredits self) but Columbia and STL are v different. Columbia is your typical college town and STL is a city in and of itself. If you don't like cities the size of Pittsburg or the like then maybe not your style but I personally think it's nothing to shake your head out.

Also I'm as liberal as they come and as long as you're in an area with more than 7 people you'll find a good base to hang out with

sodomojo

Postby sodomojo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 am

april_ludgate wrote:
sodomojo wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:
icechicken wrote:

What about Harvard for sticker vs UVA 75% scholarship? With those same goals.

That's tough. Y would make it a bit easier of a decision. Personally I'd lean H, but I imagine many would disagree. That's assuming you really want prestigious PI/academia/clerkship though and it's not a mere fancy.

Mikey

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:29 am

Nyc comic con 8)

twiix

Postby twiix » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 am

Last edited by twiix on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”