-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
Mikey wrote:really want to go to a concert next week (the day scores are SUPPOSED to release haha) but my friend I was supposed to go with can't get out of work. I don't really want to go alone but I will cry if I don't go ;(

who r u seeing?

Motionless in white

I don't think you like that kind of music lol

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:21 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
Mikey wrote:really want to go to a concert next week (the day scores are SUPPOSED to release haha) but my friend I was supposed to go with can't get out of work. I don't really want to go alone but I will cry if I don't go ;(

who r u seeing?

Motionless in white

Just listening to the first song I saw on Spotify.....

Well, dont mosh too hard lol

I don't know if I even wanna go alone lol. I always go with at least 1 person just in case shit goes down lol

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 pm

The two best live performances I’ve ever been to are Bruce Springsteen and Bo Burnham. Very different but if you ever get a chance to see either, take it. Though it seems Bo may be done with writing for himself :(

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 pm

creed wrote:The two best live performances I’ve ever been to are Bruce Springsteen and Bo Burnham. Very different but if you ever get a chance to see either, take it. Though it seems Bo may be done with writing for himself :(

ooo I can see Bruce Springsteen being incredible.. would be very cool

Gluteus

Bronze

Postby Gluteus » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 pm

The wait gets harder and harder for me.

At first it didn't bother me at all, and now getting kind of agitated

jjdude14

Bronze

Postby jjdude14 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Going to see Denzel Curry this weekend, nothing like some ignant shit to get your mind of the wait.

creed

Bronze

Postby creed » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
creed wrote:The two best live performances I’ve ever been to are Bruce Springsteen and Bo Burnham. Very different but if you ever get a chance to see either, take it. Though it seems Bo may be done with writing for himself :(

Did a triple encore. I think he’s superhuman. Guy has an unreal motor.

DowsingForAJD

New

Postby DowsingForAJD » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:16 pm

creed wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:

I saw him 2 years ago and agree he's incredible live. Puts on a very high-energy show.
Last edited by DowsingForAJD on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Postby wmbuff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 pm

DowsingForAJD wrote:
creed wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:

I saw him 2 years ago and agree he's incredible live. Puts on a very high-energy show.

I regret that I still haven't managed to see him.

Probably the best show I've seen was actually Billy Joel. It was back when he was about to "retire" from rock and roll to be a classical musician. He had one more stop on the tour, but that was NY, his home, so he considered that stop in Raleigh to be his last show on the road. After several of his hits, he remarked, "We're gonna play the shit we wanna play." That included covers of Zeppelin and Cream, a few bars of "Carolina in my Mind", and some of his deep cuts he hadn't done live in years. He cut loose, and when he came back out for the encore, tossed someone else's underpants on the mic stand to make it clear one ("Scenes from an Italian Restaurant") was all we were gonna get. He's not my favorite musician or songwriter, but that was the right night to see him live. Sometimes, you just get the magic of the right show.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Gluteus wrote:The wait gets harder and harder for me.

At first it didn't bother me at all, and now getting kind of agitated

Just one more week(ish)!

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 am

Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:

who r u seeing?

Motionless in white

Just listening to the first song I saw on Spotify.....

Well, dont mosh too hard lol

I don't know if I even wanna go alone lol. I always go with at least 1 person just in case shit goes down lol

i can get down to some motionless in white. im a bigger fan of ADTR though

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:45 am

twiix wrote:i can get down to some motionless in white. im a bigger fan of ADTR though

I like ADTR!! :)

What other bands do u like??

Have u heard of cane hill? I'm going to see them this month and I'm super hype

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Postby DistrictDisaster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 am

Can I ask a completely unrelated question b/c you all are clearly in the know. The "Why School X" essays. Do you always write one regardless of whether or not the school requests an optional additional essay? If the school (say Georgetown) provides optional response prompts (none of which is "Why Georgetown") do you give them your PS, your optional response, AND a "Why Georgetown" essay? That seems excessive. Thanks guys.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Postby GnarMarBinx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:i can get down to some motionless in white. im a bigger fan of ADTR though

I used to be into some super heavy stuff like August Burns Red, lamb of god, children of bodom, etc. Also like some semi-heavy stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and ADTR as well.

Now I listen to a lot of alternative rock/indie, rap, and still some metal as well as a LOT of jazz. LOL my music interests are weird as f

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 am

DistrictDisaster wrote:Can I ask a completely unrelated question b/c you all are clearly in the know. The "Why School X" essays. Do you always write one regardless of whether or not the school requests an optional additional essay? If the school (say Georgetown) provides optional response prompts (none of which is "Why Georgetown") do you give them your PS, your optional response, AND a "Why Georgetown" essay? That seems excessive. Thanks guys.

It is always beneficial to write a sincere “Why X” essay, even if not prompted to provide one. There are 3 situations that everyone falls into :

1. You are overqualified for the school
2. You are a typical applicant for the school
3. You are a below average applicant for the school

All three of these warrant a Why X. For 1, it shows that you have interest in the school beyond just submitting a blanket application. It is in the schools best interest to not admit anyone that doesn’t attend, so these are often candidates that get Waitlisted for yield protect.

For 2, it will give you a leg up against the other applicants who have the same stats as you.

For 3, it might be compelling enough for them to overlook portions of your application that might otherwise be something they would deny. If you can convince them that you are a good applicant and that you really want to attend their school, it might flatter them enough to give you a marginal boost that lands you in the acceptance pile.

If you haven’t figured it out yet, everything about law schools is excessive.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:21 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I used to be into some super heavy stuff like August Burns Red, lamb of god, children of bodom, etc. Also like some semi-heavy stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and ADTR as well.

Now I listen to a lot of alternative rock/indie, rap, and still some metal as well as a LOT of jazz. LOL my music interests are weird as f

I have incredibly diverse music appetite as well. I honestly think listening to hardcore when I was in HS kind of opened my mind to liking so many different genres. I’m not a fan of the overly hippie indie stuff, but besides that the only thing I can’t stand is reggae. I frequently will rotate between hardcore, classical, rap, EDM and jazz. It’s all great stuff for different times of the day.

And to answer Mikeys earlier question, ADTR was really what got me into the scene. Avenged Sevenfold will always share a special place in my heart too. Some of the other things I frequent would be as follows :

Beartooth (I grew up being friends with Caleb, the singer), Miss May I, Of Mice & Men, Issues, old Escape the Fate, Our Last Night, We Came as Romans, Woe is Me, the devil wears prada, etc.

Pretty rare to find others that appreciate the genre lol, especially given how conservative the typical LS applicants are.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Postby DistrictDisaster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:23 am

twiix wrote:
DistrictDisaster wrote:Can I ask a completely unrelated question b/c you all are clearly in the know. The "Why School X" essays. Do you always write one regardless of whether or not the school requests an optional additional essay? If the school (say Georgetown) provides optional response prompts (none of which is "Why Georgetown") do you give them your PS, your optional response, AND a "Why Georgetown" essay? That seems excessive. Thanks guys.

It is always beneficial to write a sincere “Why X” essay, even if not prompted to provide one. There are 3 situations that everyone falls into :

All three of these warrant a Why X. For 1, it shows that you have interest in the school beyond just submitting a blanket application. It is in the schools best interest to not admit anyone that doesn’t attend, so these are often candidates that get Waitlisted for yield protect.

For 2, it will give you a leg up against the other applicants who have the same stats as you.

For 3, it might be compelling enough for them to overlook portions of your application that might otherwise be something they would deny. If you can convince them that you are a good applicant and that you really want to attend their school, it might flatter them enough to give you a marginal boost that lands you in the acceptance pile.

Ha ha hargghhh. Thanks for the guidance!!

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

twiix wrote:
I have incredibly diverse music appetite as well. I honestly think listening to hardcore when I was in HS kind of opened my mind to liking so many different genres. I’m not a fan of the overly hippie indie stuff, but besides that the only thing I can’t stand is reggae. I frequently will rotate between hardcore, classical, rap, EDM and jazz. It’s all great stuff for different times of the day.

And to answer Mikeys earlier question, ADTR was really what got me into the scene. Avenged Sevenfold will always share a special place in my heart too. Some of the other things I frequent would be as follows :

Beartooth (I grew up being friends with Caleb, the singer), Miss May I, Of Mice & Men, Issues, old Escape the Fate, Our Last Night, We Came as Romans, Woe is Me, the devil wears prada, etc.

Pretty rare to find others that appreciate the genre lol, especially given how conservative the typical LS applicants are.

I got into this kind of music in like the 2nd grade due to my aunt that lived with us who alway listened to shit like linking park and slipknot. So I was rocking out in elementary school, haha. escape the fate was my obsession in high school, until they went down hill. our last night has some great covers!. we came as romans is always dope to listen to. TDWP is fucking amazing, have always loved them and zombie EP IS LOVE. woe is me I haven't listened to in a while. miss may I and of mice and men were always bands I listened to very little but still respect. Avenged sevenfold ofc are gods.

that's so dank about beartooth!!! I didn't get to see them at warped tour this summer because I think I went to see emmure while beartooth was playing.

I like a diversity of music too, but mostly just rock.. I can jam out to anything except country lol, I also don't like rap but there are some rap artists that can my eye like some underground shit like Night Lovell.

I believe TDWP was just here in NYC and I didn't go see them, bummer but maybe next time. I saw them once and they were godlike OFC. but I feel like Mike's vocals are starting to wear out from his god tier unique screams

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Mikey wrote:

word. I like ABR, and tbh I was never really a fan of lamb of god. I tried since high school to like them but nothing :/

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Postby Rupert Pupkin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Mikey wrote:
twiix wrote:

I got into this kind of music in like the 2nd grade due to my aunt that lived with us who alway listened to shit like linking park and slipknot. So I was rocking out in elementary school, haha. escape the fate was my obsession in high school, until they went down hill. our last night has some great covers!. we came as romans is always dope to listen to. TDWP is fucking amazing, have always loved them and zombie EP IS LOVE. woe is me I haven't listened to in a while. miss may I and of mice and men were always bands I listened to very little but still respect. Avenged sevenfold ofc are gods.

that's so dank about beartooth!!! I didn't get to see them at warped tour this summer because I think I went to see emmure while beartooth was playing.

I like a diversity of music too, but mostly just rock.. I can jam out to anything except country lol, I also don't like rap but there are some rap artists that can my eye like some underground shit like Night Lovell.

I believe TDWP was just here in NYC and I didn't go see them, bummer but maybe next time. I saw them once and they were godlike OFC. but I feel like Mike's vocals are starting to wear out from his god tier unique screams

My middle school skater-phase def consisted of a lot of these and similar bands like: Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Haste the Day, Devil Wears Prada, Disturbed and some others i cant really remember rn. I dont listen to those bands much anymore, but when a song randomly comes on my ipod in the gym I often give it a listen and enjoy it. Definitely some good classic tunes. Actually funny story-- I am a super heavy sleeper so I set my alarm on my phone thats plugged into a speaker with some rock usually because it wakes me up. Although Rap and EDM are my favorites, usually too much vibe to get me out of bed haha

abujabal

Bronze

Postby abujabal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 pm

About a week out! Where's everyone's head at?

heyduchess

Silver

Postby heyduchess » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 pm

I've seen both! I met Bo when I was 17 and aggressively camped out to be front row of one of his shows. It was like "I'm Bo Yo" or "Bo Fo Sho" era.

WHAT. was a masterpiece, though. BO OH MY GOD

littlewing67

Silver

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

april_ludgate

Bronze

Postby april_ludgate » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:43 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:
twiix wrote:

Ha ha hargghhh. Thanks for the guidance!!

This is true for everything except hysccn

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?