-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

sabraph

Bronze

Re: -11 Curve, Grey Day September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Post by sabraph » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm

creed wrote:Friendly reminder to all that these scores, even if they’re not exactly what you wanted, are great.

TLS can put you in a mindset that what matters is whether you go to Harvard or Columbia, or Gtown with $$$ or Cal, whether you get a 170 or a 169.

It’s not what’s really important.

What’s really important is whether you use the skills wherever you learn them to do good things for the world and help people. I’d rather know a 160 who helps people that need it than a 180 who shills for Exxon their entire life.

Great job everyone! And if you’re retaking, best of luck!
Yes this. Thank goodness I have friends irl to remind me of this. a 90th percentile score is incredible. Don't take that accomplishment for granted.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm

creed wrote:Friendly reminder to all that these scores, even if they’re not exactly what you wanted, are great.

TLS can put you in a mindset that what matters is whether you go to Harvard or Columbia, or Gtown with $$$ or Cal, whether you get a 170 or a 169.

It’s not what’s really important.

What’s really important is whether you use the skills wherever you learn them to do good things for the world and help people. I’d rather know a 160 who helps people that need it than a 180 who shills for Exxon their entire life.

Great job everyone! And if you’re retaking, best of luck!
+181

onecard

New

Post by onecard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Sooooo thankful 177! Third take, so don't be discouraged if you didn't get score you were looking for. FWIW I increase by 4 points from my first two tries and I think it was because I switched up my studying from lots of PT's to more section drilling. Also used the Fox books this time around (LG and LR), and got a hold of some old Cambridge books (LG and LR). I think the study changes helped a lot (also probably some good luck).

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

I feel good about my score. I'm still retaking because I made some stupid mistakes in LR that pushed me below my PT average, and what's another 2 months?

Congratulations to everyone that got their goal score. If you missed It, I believe you'll be able to pick yourself up in time for December. I personally went up 12 points from my first test, and none of this came fast.

I'm glad I made a couple friends between this and the study thread. Thank you to every frequent poster on the study thread that routinely answered questions from posters seeking advice. We all worked hard and should at least feel good about that tonight.

[Sorry if this double posted, I thought I sent this earlier but my history says not]

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:I feel good about my score. I'm still retaking because I made some stupid mistakes in LR that pushed me below my PT average, and what's another 2 months?

Congratulations to everyone that got their goal score. If you missed It, I believe you'll be able to pick yourself up in time for December. I personally went up 12 points from my first test, and none of this came fast.

I'm glad I made a couple friends between this and the study thread. Thank you to every frequent poster on the study thread that routinely answered questions from posters seeking advice. We all worked hard and should at least feel good about that tonight.

[Sorry if this double posted, I thought I sent this earlier but my history says not]
Glad you made it in! I was beginning to worry you were drinking away a rotten score in some gutter, but am quite glad to hear you saw a large improvement. I'll be rooting for you on your next rodeo, though I'm going on to the application phase (given the received wisdom about splitter cycle timing). You ran a fun waiters' thread.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

onecard wrote:Sooooo thankful 177! Third take, so don't be discouraged if you didn't get score you were looking for. FWIW I increase by 4 points from my first two tries and I think it was because I switched up my studying from lots of PT's to more section drilling. Also used the Fox books this time around (LG and LR), and got a hold of some old Cambridge books (LG and LR). I think the study changes helped a lot (also probably some good luck).
Sweeeet

onecard

New

Post by onecard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:37 pm

Platopus wrote:
onecard wrote:Sooooo thankful 177! Third take, so don't be discouraged if you didn't get score you were looking for. FWIW I increase by 4 points from my first two tries and I think it was because I switched up my studying from lots of PT's to more section drilling. Also used the Fox books this time around (LG and LR), and got a hold of some old Cambridge books (LG and LR). I think the study changes helped a lot (also probably some good luck).
You retook a 173? Twice? Bold move, Cotton. Sounds like it paid off though, congrats!

Yeah, I knew (thought) I could beat that 173. Was risky I know, thankful it turned out well. Very, very thankful I don't have to study for the LSAT again. Don't know if I had a fourth time in me.

UHB

New

Post by UHB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:24 am

Living in Germany means I missed all the excitement, but I woke up to a 171- three points above my PT average! I was hoping for a bit higher since I was scoring great the week before the test, but this works for me. I'm not going through hell twice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Re: -11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Post by CottonHarvest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:40 am

If you can't decide on a retake, does that mean you probably should? Lol

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 am

onecard wrote:
Platopus wrote:
You retook a 173? Twice? Bold move, Cotton. Sounds like it paid off though, congrats!

Yeah, I knew (thought) I could beat that 173. Was risky I know, thankful it turned out well. Very, very thankful I don't have to study for the LSAT again. Don't know if I had a fourth time in me.
Can I have your 173?

Btw congrats!

Tycho_Brohey

New

Post by Tycho_Brohey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 am

For science:

LR: -4
LG: -1 (no idea what I did here just yet)
RC: -7
LR: -3

From PTs those were pretty average results for me on my LR sections if not a bit better than average... probably more like -4/-5 usually. The -1 on games is dumb, but I'm not too hung up on it.

That -7 on RC is what ruined it for me.

I should be more happy with this, it sets me up well for T30/T20, but I'm bummed it ruins my T13 chances. Debating that retake in December to hope for money to T13. Anyone have recommendations for a LR/RC study method? Did bibles for September, but I'd like to get my LR down to -2 or less if I'm going to retake. RC seems like such a crap shoot. Good luck guys!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am

Tycho_Brohey wrote: I should be more happy with this, it sets me up well for T30/T20, but I'm bummed it ruins my T13 chances. Debating that retake in December to hope for money to T13. Anyone have recommendations for a LR/RC study method? Did bibles for September, but I'd like to get my LR down to -2 or less if I'm going to retake. RC seems like such a crap shoot. Good luck guys!
For me, RC was just a matter of more practice to improve speed and accuracy. If you've done the bibles, I don't think there's a magical technique.

Just focus on RC between now and December, but don't neglect LR and LG. Looks like you have potential to make decent gains in LR, grab that point in LG and break into the 170s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiscottie

New

Post by hiscottie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am

Barry grandpapy wrote:I feel good about my score. I'm still retaking because I made some stupid mistakes in LR that pushed me below my PT average, and what's another 2 months?

Congratulations! What an incredible increase.

Do you mind sharing some insight on how you increased 12 points between your first and second official tests? Also, which tests were they (i.e. June and September)?

The September test was my first official LSAT. I was fairly confident going into it with PTs averaging at 162-165, but I felt very unlike myself on test day and almost dazed. Well, because of it, I scored a 157. I was expecting this based on how horribly it went on test day, so now my focus is 100% on making sure it doesn’t happen again.

I am wondering what I can do between now and December 2 to recoup 12 or more points like you. For LR, it’s mostly buttoned up and I am only missing 5-7 total for both sections (but bombed on test day with -8 per section). For LG, I thought I was strong, but couldn’t get to fourth game and missed 3 because of it. RC is my weakest section by faaar. Any thoughts?

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 am

My mean and median over 19 PTs was 174 with three 179s and one 178, but I only managed a 170 in September. I'm thinking I should retake, but I won't be able to study much leading up to the December test. I can't believe I tanked. -7 on RC. Only one of my 19 PTs was a 170.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 am

CottonHarvest wrote:My mean and median over 19 PTs was 174 with three 179s and one 178, but I only managed a . I'm thinking I should retake, but I won't be able to study much leading up to the December test. I can't believe I tanked. Only one of my 19 PTs was a 170.
still an amazing score, congrats on that!

I'd say if you feel like you left a bunch of points on the table (which you did looking at your PT scores) then give yourself another shot in December. either way you can't go wrong, you already have a great score on your record!

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

Mikey wrote:
CottonHarvest wrote:My mean and median over 19 PTs was 174 with three 179s and one 178, but I only managed a . I'm thinking I should retake, but I won't be able to study much leading up to the December test. I can't believe I tanked. Only one of my 19 PTs was a 170.

I'd say if you feel like you left a bunch of points on the table (which you did looking at your PT scores) then give yourself another shot in December. either way you can't go wrong, you already have a great score on your record!
My GPA is above every school's 75%. I'm wondering how a late Oct/early Nov app with a 3.9X, 170 compares to a January app with a 3.9X, 171-174. Does app timing really matter that much?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 am

LR: -3
RC: -6 (Yikes)
LG: -1

Was hoping for a little bit better but am thoroughly satisfied. The retake was worth it!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 am

CottonHarvest wrote:
Mikey wrote:

My GPA is above every school's 75%. I'm wondering how a late Oct/early Nov app with a 3.9X, 170 compares to a January app with a 3.9X, 171-174. Does app timing really matter that much?
Well, from what I know you can get really good offers applying in January with a December score. But of course, the earlier the better. I'm no expert with the whole timing aspect though, so many the other sub forums like What Are My Chances? or another one is better to get more info from this. But I know people apply before the December test and then use their dec score to get more scholarship money or actually get into a school they are still waiting on.

I know peeps who had December scores and ended up with great offers.. I think it kind of just depends where you apply as well.

das_Gesetz

New

Post by das_Gesetz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:42 am

CottonHarvest wrote:My mean and median over 19 PTs was 174 with three 179s and one 178, but I only managed a 170 in September. I'm thinking I should retake, but I won't be able to study much leading up to the December test. I can't believe I tanked. -7 on RC. Only one of my 19 PTs was a 170.
I had a very similar experience with the June exam. I had an avg of 173 on my previous 21 PTs, several of which were in 177-179, but nevertheless scored a 169 with -5 RC being the most devastating section. I decided not to study for September (in part because I had no recent exams left over, and also in part because I felt that good performance on PTs didn't actually mean anything). I scored 172 this September with -1 on RC and -3 on LG. Even while completing my practice tests, I found that I scored higher in RC whenever I took a break from it.

I strongly suspect that there's a point beyond which practicing reading comprehension offers not diminishing but negative returns. You become so accustomed to the format of the exam, that you begin to read the passages in a way you would not read ordinary academic literature and interpret the questions and the words employed in them in a less natural and intuitive manner. I think the opposite applies to logic games, where performance increases dramatically then plateaus with sustained practice, and diminishes without practice.

I guess the point of this is that burn out is a very real problem -- with RC, perhaps, more than any other section.

Tycho_Brohey

New

Post by Tycho_Brohey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:56 pm

albanach wrote:For me, RC was just a matter of more practice to improve speed and accuracy. If you've done the bibles, I don't think there's a magical technique.

Just focus on RC between now and December, but don't neglect LR and LG. Looks like you have potential to make decent gains in LR, grab that point in LG and break into the 170s.
So you're suggesting pure drilling as study for December? I've seen lots of people suggest LSAT trainer, but section/test drilling is also something a lot of people seem to suggest. I just really want to get my LR sections to -2 or less each. You're probably right about RC, just need to find a groove there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bycron77

New

Post by bycron77 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm

I totally echo the approach of switching from full-length PTs to section drilling for the retake. Taking tons and tons of full-length PTs was, for me at least, among the most harmful bits of conventional wisdom out there. It leads to burnout plus less targeting of the specific question types and sections you need to work on in terms of speed and accuracy. I went from 155 in June to 164 in September using this change in approach. I was in a much more relaxed, positive mindset going into the September test. Even prior to June my best PT scores were 164 and 166, so I didn't necessarily get much better at the LSAT between tests. The big difference is that I was peaking at the right time for the second test, whereas I peaked 4-5 weeks prior to the first test and dropped from there. I took only three full-length PTs between June and September. Also, I recommend taking a full-length PT no later than maybe two weeks before the actual test. Under no circumstances would I advise taking one less than one week before the test. This is what worked for me, but I am not an ultra-high scorer and it may be different for others.

creed

Bronze

Post by creed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:37 pm

hello friends

I posted asking for some advice if any of you wonderful people have any thoughts

/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=10181608#p10181608

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm

god reading through these last few pages is giving me traumatic flashbacks to june. I almost gnawed off my fingernails on grey day especially after I found out about the curve.

edit: awwww mikey I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted :(

sending all of my totally platonic love

and congrats to everybody else.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

dm1683 wrote:god reading through these last few pages is giving me traumatic flashbacks to june. I almost gnawed off my fingernails on grey day especially after I found out about the curve.

edit: awwww mikey I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted :(

sending all of my totally platonic love

and congrats to everybody else.
:(

can you take the December test for me? thanks <3

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”