To take the test or wait?

premium_goodz
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm

To take the test or wait?

Postby premium_goodz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 pm

I begin studying in early July 2017, I took a course with Blueprint which was great, I approached questions differently and got a better overall understanding of the test. However, with Blueprint, the homework is crucial and with working full time I failed short on keeping up with the homework and practicing. I'm registered to take the test for September this Saturday, but I don't feel I am ready. My mentor says I should take it and if I have to take it again then they'll average the score. I've been out of school for over 6 years and my GPA is 2.99. I'm also a URM when applying, if that changes anything. I live in Washington, DC and I'm planning to attend part time, my top schools are in this order:

American University
Georgetown
Catholic
George Washington
UDC - David A. Clarke

My score with the diagnostic begin with a 133, then I went to a 122, then to a 141, and then back to a 139. I am second guessing on my logical reasoning portions, I pick the right answer then I talk myself out of it. Logic Games I can answer up to 3 first questions, after that I totally get lost and overwhelmed by all the things they're asking.

Should I take the test this Saturday and pray for the best or just wait till December?

User avatar
abujabal
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: To take the test or wait?

Postby abujabal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 am

premium_goodz wrote:My score with the diagnostic begin with a 133, then I went to a 122, then to a 141, and then back to a 139. I am second guessing on my logical reasoning portions, I pick the right answer then I talk myself out of it. Logic Games I can answer up to 3 first questions, after that I totally get lost and overwhelmed by all the things they're asking.


I'm not qualified to answer whether or not to postpone, though I lean yes. If you can only answer the first 3 questions per game on LG, then you're leaving at least 10-12 points on the table each test. That alone will take you from the high 130s to the high 140s. Beyond that, drilling and doing the HW from your blueprint course will likely help you push into the 150s, and then it's not unfathomable that with enough practice you can get into the 160s. It's a slow game, but it's definitely a doable game.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7092
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: To take the test or wait?

Postby Mikey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:07 am

If you're scoring that low I say do not take on saturday. Postpone to December or maybe even later than that, it depends on your schedule though. But def do not take on Saturday.

AJordan
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: To take the test or wait?

Postby AJordan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:27 am

Assuming not a troll here. I've been biffed before.

Your mentor is incorrect. Most, if not all schools only consider your best score. Averaging may have been a thing at one time, it no longer is.

However, it is probably prudent to approach law school in a manner where you're attempting to attend school without paying for tuition. If someone is scoring in the 140s that's likely not going to be an option. If you can push it to the 160s you'll be in much better shape. I would not sit it, if I were you, until I was practicing consistently in the 160s. With scores below 160 you're looking at a bunch of schools that give you, at best, a 50/50 shot of getting a full-time lawyer job. That's not a great outcome to face, especially if you've incurred debt to attend. 2.99/165 can get you some regional options that might lead to a decent chance at a decent outcome. 150/2.99 is going to get you a bill for 250k and little shot at ever paying it back.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: To take the test or wait?

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 am

Postpone.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jack_Kelly and 5 guests