GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

User avatar
Liberal Theory
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 pm

GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby Liberal Theory » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm heavily considering a tutor or personal study group for LSAT prep at this point. I've taken PT's A-C, the June 2007 one 2x, 7-18, and 62-65 as my most recent. I've been studying since late May this year doing everything right, read and took notes from the Superprep, read the LG and LR Bibles twice and worked through them after taking notes after every chapter, then around late July I hit the PT's hard and I've known about and have been doing BR for three weeks and I haven't hit my high of 161 in over a month, I've gotten 158 solid on PT 62-65. I even busted out the RC Bible last week. I guess I just don't get it.

After every BR, which takes me at least an hour, I always feel like I know where I messed up on what Question types, just to get the same score again but with a new even worse weakness after sorta improving on an old one; whether I do solid on the sections but run out of time or kill LG but bomb LR or something.

I'm getting the next (most recent) 10 LSAT PT's soon and am making a 7sage account. Is their "study buddy" thing real, do these people actually get together to share advice? If so what is the custom, the person needing the most help buy them drinks or something?

Am I missing anything, is there a study technique I'm unaware of? I'm glad I withdrew for this one but I'd much prefer to take it no later than February. But I'm not foolish enough to sign up again without knowing I can hit my mark. But it feels like I never know. Any tips or comments are appreciated.

User avatar
abujabal
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby abujabal » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Liberal Theory wrote:I'm heavily considering a tutor or personal study group for LSAT prep at this point. I've taken PT's A-C, the June 2007 one 2x, 7-18, and 62-65 as my most recent. I've been studying since late May this year doing everything right, read and took notes from the Superprep, read the LG and LR Bibles twice and worked through them after taking notes after every chapter, then around late July I hit the PT's hard and I've known about and have been doing BR for three weeks and I haven't hit my high of 161 in over a month, I've gotten 158 solid on PT 62-65. I even busted out the RC Bible last week. I guess I just don't get it.

After every BR, which takes me at least an hour, I always feel like I know where I messed up on what Question types, just to get the same score again but with a new even worse weakness after sorta improving on an old one; whether I do solid on the sections but run out of time or kill LG but bomb LR or something.

I'm getting the next (most recent) 10 LSAT PT's soon and am making a 7sage account. Is their "study buddy" thing real, do these people actually get together to share advice? If so what is the custom, the person needing the most help buy them drinks or something?

Am I missing anything, is there a study technique I'm unaware of? I'm glad I withdrew for this one but I'd much prefer to take it no later than February. But I'm not foolish enough to sign up again without knowing I can hit my mark. But it feels like I never know. Any tips or comments are appreciated.


Sounds like something's going wrong in the studying process. Annoyingly, PT scores don't necessarily correlate to the number of hours put in/PTs practiced. Here's what I think:

1) Stop taking PTs. At this point you're just wasting fresh tests if you don't feel like you're at your true level.
2) Can you give us your section breakdowns? What are your scores looking like on LR, LG, and RC?
3) Log all your tests into 7Sages analysis tool and figure out what your biggest weaknesses are. For me, it was Flaw, NA/SA, Infer Author Perspective, and In/Out games. Knowing that helped me aggressively drill those games and focus on them using 7Sages Question Bank tool

User avatar
Liberal Theory
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby Liberal Theory » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:43 am

abujabal wrote:
Liberal Theory wrote:I'm heavily considering a tutor or personal study group for LSAT prep at this point. I've taken PT's A-C, the June 2007 one 2x, 7-18, and 62-65 as my most recent. I've been studying since late May this year doing everything right, read and took notes from the Superprep, read the LG and LR Bibles twice and worked through them after taking notes after every chapter, then around late July I hit the PT's hard and I've known about and have been doing BR for three weeks and I haven't hit my high of 161 in over a month, I've gotten 158 solid on PT 62-65. I even busted out the RC Bible last week. I guess I just don't get it.

After every BR, which takes me at least an hour, I always feel like I know where I messed up on what Question types, just to get the same score again but with a new even worse weakness after sorta improving on an old one; whether I do solid on the sections but run out of time or kill LG but bomb LR or something.

I'm getting the next (most recent) 10 LSAT PT's soon and am making a 7sage account. Is their "study buddy" thing real, do these people actually get together to share advice? If so what is the custom, the person needing the most help buy them drinks or something?

Am I missing anything, is there a study technique I'm unaware of? I'm glad I withdrew for this one but I'd much prefer to take it no later than February. But I'm not foolish enough to sign up again without knowing I can hit my mark. But it feels like I never know. Any tips or comments are appreciated.


Sounds like something's going wrong in the studying process. Annoyingly, PT scores don't necessarily correlate to the number of hours put in/PTs practiced. Here's what I think:

1) Stop taking PTs. At this point you're just wasting fresh tests if you don't feel like you're at your true level.
2) Can you give us your section breakdowns? What are your scores looking like on LR, LG, and RC?
3) Log all your tests into 7Sages analysis tool and figure out what your biggest weaknesses are. For me, it was Flaw, NA/SA, Infer Author Perspective, and In/Out games. Knowing that helped me aggressively drill those games and focus on them using 7Sages Question Bank tool


1) I have literally every 10 actual series, I have plenty I think. Right?...
2) LG: never more than -2 a game, usually -1, but I only have enough time left to do 3 and maybe a question or two on the last section. About -5 total. LR: Fluctates from -10 to -3 a section. Only consistent category I get wrong is flaw/ weaken. Have been drilling; fall for shell games every time... RC: started out -8 on average and am still missing -8. Hopefully RC bible fixes this.
3)Am beginning to. I'm thinking about using my PT's 19-28 to use for drilling exclusively. Is this a good idea?

User avatar
abujabal
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Re: GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby abujabal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:00 am

Liberal Theory wrote:
1) I have literally every 10 actual series, I have plenty I think. Right?...
2) LG: never more than -2 a game, usually -1, but I only have enough time left to do 3 and maybe a question or two on the last section. About -5 total. LR: Fluctates from -10 to -3 a section. Only consistent category I get wrong is flaw/ weaken. Have been drilling; fall for shell games every time... RC: started out -8 on average and am still missing -8. Hopefully RC bible fixes this.
3)Am beginning to. I'm thinking about using my PT's 19-28 to use for drilling exclusively. Is this a good idea?


It's less a supply thing and more of a time/effort:outcome issue. Your doing PTs will not really improve your score until you improve your fundamentals.

With regards to your section breakdowns:

LG: You need to be not timing yourself on these. Go through the section, aiming to get them all correct and make all the inferences you need to. Familiarize yourself with the 7Sage proofing method. Do it. LG is the easiest section to learn/get to all the questions, so there's at least 3 points back.

LR: I'm not sure what you mean by shell games. I'd drill your consistent categories then, and try to figure out why you're missing what you are. Are they part of the same general concept? Are you only missing the last few? Are you getting to all of the questions on time? Basically, there has to be some reason you're not consistent here. Either you're not really "getting" the questions, or there's a certain type that trips you up a lot.

RC: What are the trends? What passages are your worst? What frustrates you about them?

I drill with anything below 40, and used 40-50 for it once I was done with that. Don't take them as PTs. Just constantly work through them. Also note that studying isn't just sitting with questions and drilling. You need to have a feel for what exactly it is you're messing up on and where you need to be investing your time on improving. If you're self-studying, you need to be your own coach as well, not just the test-taker. If that's something that's difficult for you/if you're having trouble identifying what exactly the missing piece may be, consider a quick 1-2 hour session with a tutor to identify what's going wrong.

User avatar
Deardevil
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby Deardevil » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Stay drilling pesky flaws and weaken questions until you become one with them;
those were my weaknesses when my LR score was atrocious, and patching the holes up resulted in a significantly higher grade.

paigekhuffman
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Re: GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby paigekhuffman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 am

I'd recommend using a study guide from Lawschooli.com. They utilize a lot of drills, which are organized by question type. They also have a study group, which I don't belong to, but the owners of the blog answer questions personally and they have extra lessons. I started at a consistent -8 on logical reasoning and after their study schedule I was -1 or -2. Also, I took a two week break doing sorority recruitment and my score actually jumped a few points, so sometimes giving yourself time to rest helps as well.

LukeSkylawyer
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 am

Re: GeTTTing Desperate: Can't break 160

Postby LukeSkylawyer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:19 pm

just lower your standards a little bit. what school you go to wont end up mattering much.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jack_Kelly and 5 guests