ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

shortstop123
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 pm

ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby shortstop123 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi all :)

I graduated from undergrad (small state school) in May 2017 with a 4.0 GPA and will receive a Masters in Business Administration from a French University this April ( I completed all of my coursework for the Masters during my 4 years in undergrad and will receive the degree upon completing a few months of work experience for credits). I took the LSATS in December 2016 and received a 166 ( kind of reflective of my practice tests at that time). I applied to law schools for the Fall 2017 cycle in late February and was waitlisted to Harvard, Columbia, Standford, U-Chicago (and basically all t-14 schools I applied to except Cornell where I was accepted). I really wanted to get myself off of these waitlists by applying in for the Fall 2018 cycle so I decided to work at Goldman Sachs for a year before returning to law school. I am registered for the September 16, 2017 LSAT and am currently scoring inconsistently between 164-169 on my practice tests. I believe that scoring a 169 on my second attempt can help push me over the edge for T-12 schools but I am not sure how much I would be harmed if I did score lower than my last attempt :(.

Do you guys think I should retake the exam or forget about it? My heart says retake but my brain is super confused. Any advice will be appreciated :)

FYI: I am a 1st generation middle/ upper middle class South-East Asian female

UpandDown97
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby UpandDown97 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Retake and continue to work at GS. There's no harm.

Consider an MBA if interested.

User avatar
usaorbust
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby usaorbust » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:10 pm

You should be able to get into some of the t-14 schools with a 4.0 and 166, however if you want to get some scholarship money you should retake. There seems no reassign not to, especially since you're signed up for September.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby haus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:14 pm

I would recommend Spivey's blog post on retaking...

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/mistak ... at-advice/

User avatar
Delano
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby Delano » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Retake. Schools look at the highest score, so you won't be harmed if you do worse the second time.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:23 pm

retake.

Similar situation (i was 168/3.98). retook. scored 170+. now have a full ride offer to a T10

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby MikeSpivey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:40 pm

haus wrote:I would recommend Spivey's blog post on retaking...

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/mistak ... at-advice/


Thanks, Haus. That's an older one here is a more recent one we wrote for Powerscore:

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-law- ... a-negative

shortstop123
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby shortstop123 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you guys for the advice! I appreciate it!

Also, this is actually my first post on TLS. Does anyone know how I can reply to people's individual comments on a post?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby haus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:42 pm

shortstop123 wrote:Thank you guys for the advice! I appreciate it!

Also, this is actually my first post on TLS. Does anyone know how I can reply to people's individual comments on a post?

You can use the quote icon to insert the posters comment into your own (as above) if you want to respond publicly. Or if you prefer to respond privately you can click on the users name and it will take you to a page that includes an option to send a private message (PM).

User avatar
BulletTooth
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby BulletTooth » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:23 pm

I had similar stats and didn't retake for personal reasons. Looking back, it would've been nice to squeeze a few more points and get significantly more $. You'll likely get into some t-14 schools, but retake makes sense if you're not in a rush. Good luck!

shortstop123
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby shortstop123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:05 pm

haus wrote:
shortstop123 wrote:Thank you guys for the advice! I appreciate it!

Also, this is actually my first post on TLS. Does anyone know how I can reply to people's individual comments on a post?

You can use the quote icon to insert the posters comment into your own (as above) if you want to respond publicly. Or if you prefer to respond privately you can click on the users name and it will take you to a page that includes an option to send a private message (PM).


Thank you Haus! :)

blahblah123
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:00 am

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby blahblah123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:48 pm

I was literally you this time last year. 100% retake. No doubt about it.

bigflaw_ruleofjaw
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:35 am

Re: ADVICE: 166 and 4.0 GPA - Should I retake LSAT

Postby bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:18 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
haus wrote:I would recommend Spivey's blog post on retaking...

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/mistak ... at-advice/


Thanks, Haus. That's an older one here is a more recent one we wrote for Powerscore:

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-law- ... a-negative


This is really helpful! Thank you.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests