Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Praxity
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Postby Praxity » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 am

Hey TLS Fam,

Can someone share their approach to most strongly supported LR questions? I am following 7sage lessons, currently coming off of main point questions. 7sage states that the conclusion is essentially relocated to the answer choice area and we need to sniff it out.

I'm having some trouble on the harder difficulty MSS questions and just want to have a bit more of structured approach to these questions.

Thanks!

Praxity
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Postby Praxity » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Praxity wrote:Hey TLS Fam,

Can someone share their approach to most strongly supported LR questions? I am following 7sage lessons, currently coming off of main point questions. 7sage states that the conclusion is essentially relocated to the answer choice area and we need to sniff it out.

I'm having some trouble on the harder difficulty MSS questions and just want to have a bit more of structured approach to these questions.

Thanks!


Maybe this post is confusing. Basically:

How do you approach MSS questions?

User avatar
MercW07
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Postby MercW07 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:50 pm

In my head I say "therefore" before I read every AC (after reading the stim of course). Id say about 95% of the time this approach highlights 4 ACs as being clearly unsupported, and one as being supported. Its super easy and quite effective for me at least.

Edit: You can use any conclusion indicator you like, I just prefer therefore

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Postby Platopus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 pm

MercW07 wrote:In my head I say "therefore" before I read every AC (after reading the stim of course). Id say about 95% of the time this approach highlights 4 ACs as being clearly unsupported, and one as being supported. Its super easy and quite effective for me at least.

Edit: You can use any conclusion indicator you like, I just prefer therefore


Be careful with "therefore", though. "Therefore" implies logical certainty. But as a mental trick, I would agree that it can work pretty well to approach them this way.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7092
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Postby Mikey » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 pm

MSS answers can be like a conclusion that connects things together, as mentioned above.

But I'd just add that keeping in mind the fact that the right answer could be some random BS line in the middle of the stimulus. It's definitely supported, it's right in the stimulus, they just chose to ignore the other parts and give you a subtle line as the right AC instead.

User avatar
twiix
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Consistent Approach to MSS Questions?

Postby twiix » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 am

Mikey wrote:MSS answers can be like a conclusion that connects things together, as mentioned above.

But I'd just add that keeping in mind the fact that the right answer could be some random BS line in the middle of the stimulus. It's definitely supported, it's right in the stimulus, they just chose to ignore the other parts and give you a subtle line as the right AC instead.


This is a common trend with more difficult MSS questions. There will be a trap answer choice that will (likely) match your prephrase pretty closely, but will either be factually inaccurate or have some other flaw, whereas the correct answer will be a very irrelevant and minor reach, from a single line in the stimulus.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Contango, Jack_Kelly and 5 guests