Permissible LSAT Watches to Use Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ltowns1

Silver

Permissible LSAT Watches to Use

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:03 am

So I was made aware that LSAT restricted the type of watch you could use even further a few months ago. Could someone send me a link to an acceptable LSAT watch to use? Thanks.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Permissible LSAT Watches to Use

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:23 am

You can use a regular analog watch, and I know that the Perfect Score LSAT watch is still allowed.

the mastermind watch and 180 watch are banned though

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:31 am

Mikey wrote:You can use a regular analog watch, and I know that the Perfect Score LSAT watch is still allowed.

Okay thanks

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Mikey wrote:You can use a regular analog watch, and I know that the Perfect Score LSAT watch is still allowed.

Do you have the terminology backing up this claim? because LSAC's ruling has led me to believe that the Perfect Score LSAT watch is technically banned.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 pm

ltowns1 wrote:So I was made aware that LSAT restricted the type of watch you could use even further a few months ago. Could someone send me a link to an acceptable LSAT watch to use? Thanks.
The new rule adds that stop watches are no longer allowed, especially those with start-stop-reset functionality. The closest thing you may get to that functionality now is only indirect, by use of a numbered bezel, such as shown here: https://www.breitlingreplicauk.co.uk/wp ... Online.jpg.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 pm

pricon wrote:

Do you have the terminology backing up this claim? because LSAC's ruling has led me to believe that the Perfect Score LSAT watch is technically banned.
Several individuals on 7sage contacted Lsac and each of them said that Lsac told them the MM and 180 watch are banned because they are like a stop watch (hence chronograph watches being banned) and that the perfect score one is fine because it isn't like a stopwatch and has a bezel thing to spin unlike the other watches that you press buttons to start and restart.

If you don't believe it then just call them up and ask them, I'm sure they'll be clear about it even though they're morons for this ban

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Mikey wrote:
pricon wrote:

Several individuals on 7sage contacted Lsac and each of them said that Lsac told them the MM and 180 watch are banned because they are like a stop watch (hence chronograph watches being banned) and that the perfect score one is fine because it isn't like a stopwatch and has a bezel thing to spin unlike the other watches that you press buttons to start and restart.

If you don't believe it then just call them up and ask them, I'm sure they'll be clear about it even though they're morons for this ban
There is no numerical bezel on the Perfect Score Watch: https://www.perfectscorewatch.com. It is banned.

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:54 pm

pricon wrote:
Mikey wrote:
pricon wrote:

There is no numerical bezel on the Perfect Score Watch: https://www.perfectscorewatch.com. It is banned.
It is not banned. Chronographs are banned, and the Perfect Score Watch is not a chronograph. It's just a normal watch with a different dial. Still a waste of money, but you can buy it and use it.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:57 pm

somebodyelse wrote:
pricon wrote:
Mikey wrote:
pricon wrote:

It is not banned. Chronographs are banned, and the Perfect Score Watch is not a chronograph. It's just a normal watch with a different dial. Still a waste of money, but you can buy it and use it.
Then neither is the Mastermind nor is the LSAT 180 watch banned.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:03 pm

LSAC is closed from now until Tuesday. I'm calling them Tuesday.

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 pm

pricon wrote:
somebodyelse wrote:
pricon wrote:
Mikey wrote:
pricon wrote:

Then neither is the Mastermind nor is the LSAT 180 watch banned.
https://mastermindwatch.com/
http://180watch.com/

See the buttons on the side? Those are chronograph buttons (stop/start, reset).

https://www.perfectscorewatch.com/

You can see how the Perfect Score Watch is different, without those buttons. It just has the crown that you pull out to change the time (or, in this case, move the minute hand back to "35").

https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test
Test takers may have ONLY the following items on the desktop:
tissues
valid ID
LSAT Admission Ticket
No. 2 or HB wooden pencils
eraser
pencil sharpener
highlighter
analog (nondigital) wristwatch
You MAY NOT bring into the test center or use any of the following:
electronic timers of any kind
electronic cigarettes
fitness tracking devices
digital watches, alarm watches, beeping watches, calculator watches, chronograph watches (digital or nondigital)

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:06 pm

So something like this would be acceptable??? https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MQ24-7B2-A ... 2661612011

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:07 pm

ltowns1 wrote:So something like this would be acceptable??? https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MQ24-7B2-A ... 2661612011
Definitely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 pm

First of all, there is no such thing as a "chronograph button." There are chronograph watches, and there are buttons.

While you clearly can see a distinction in the three watches you link to, between the first two and the third, this is not a representative sample of chronographic watches, which are specifically what are banned, according to LSAC terminology. In other words, there is nothing more or less "chronographic" between your three examples simply because of the one-button design and the three-button designs.

By definition, a chronograph is a combination of a standard watch and a stop watch. And by no means does a stop watch stop being a stop watch because its start-stop-reset functionality is wound up via knob-turning with a single button, as opposed to being implemented via multiple buttons.

"Mechanical [i.e., analog, as opposed to the explicitly banned 'electronic'] stopwatches are powered by a mainspring, which must be periodically wound up by turning the knurled knob at the top of the watch." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopwatch)

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:16 pm

ltowns1 wrote:So something like this would be acceptable??? https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MQ24-7B2-A ... 2661612011
Yes, without a doubt.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:17 pm

My point is, somebodyelse, that the definition we need is not descriptive, it is prescriptive, and only LSAC will know the answer.

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:25 pm

pricon wrote:First of all, there is no such thing as a "chronograph button." There are chronograph watches, and there are buttons. While you clearly can see a distinction in the three watches you link to, between the first two and the third, this is not a representative sample of chronographic watches, which are specifically what are banned, according to LSAC terminology. In other words, there is nothing more or less "chronographic" between your three examples simply because of the one-button design and the three-button designs.

By definition, a chronograph is a combination of a standard watch and a stop watch. And by no means does a stop watch stop being a stop watch because its start-stop-reset functionality is wound up via knob-turning with a single button, as opposed to being accessed via multiple buttons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopwatch.
Sure there are chronograph buttons, those would be the buttons on a chronograph watch (start/stop, reset). If you want to be dense enough that you want me to call them "buttons on a chronograph watch," whatever.

You're certainly incorrect here though - the first two watches definitely use a chronograph movement to power their watches. You press a button, it starts, you press it again, it stops. You press the other button, it resets.

By definition (that you graciously provided), the Perfect Score Watch is certainly not a chronograph. It has start/stop functionality, sure, same as any other watch as you pull out and push in the crown. It does not reset, however, and you need to turn the crown to bring it back to the 12:00/35 min position for each section.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Yeah, I'm talking right past you. What was your undergrad in?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:39 pm

pricon wrote:
E: just saw that you are gonna call them Tuesday. Great. Jfc

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 pm

And there's no need to ask what their UG degree was in, that's completely irrelevant. No need to try and start shit like that wtf

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Mikey wrote:And there's no need to ask what their UG degree was in, that's completely irrelevant. No need to try and start shit like that wtf
Hm, so one focuses on a particular discipline for four years and that is irrelevant? As in I'd just as likely ask for kinetics advice from a social worker as a biochemistry major? Come on, man. Though I'll concede the issue here is mostly linguistic, it's mechanical in subject and that isn't to the guy's benefit.
Last edited by pricon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 pm

pricon wrote:Yeah, I'm talking right past you. What was your undergrad in?
I don't think this is too hard to grasp but (again), the first two watches are chronographs, so they are banned. This is clear from the way that they function.

The last one isn't a chronograph, isn't in any other category defined by lsat as being banned, and in fact is a analog wristwatch, which is specifically allowed. Watch their video and you'll clearly see it doesn't have any chronograph functions.

Not sure why my undergrad degree is relevant.

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:52 pm

pricon wrote:
Mikey wrote:And there's no need to ask what their UG degree was in, that's completely irrelevant. No need to try and start shit like that wtf
Hm, so one focuses on a particular discipline for four years and that is irrelevant? As in I'd just as likely ask for kinetics advice from a social worker as a biochemistry major? Come on, man.
This isn't biochem, it's just reading comprehension.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

pricon wrote:
Hm, so one focuses on a particular discipline for four years and that is irrelevant? As in I'd just as likely ask for kinetics advice from a social worker and personal finance advice from a creative writing major? Come on, man.
It is not irrelevant in general, but it is irrelevant for the situation.

You're talking about a watch, what was the point of asking him/her about their UG background?? Idk. If their major was in watch studies then I apologize. :mrgreen:

somebodyelse

New

Post by somebodyelse » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Mikey wrote:
pricon wrote:
Hm, so one focuses on a particular discipline for four years and that is irrelevant? As in I'd just as likely ask for kinetics advice from a social worker and personal finance advice from a creative writing major? Come on, man.
It is not irrelevant in general, but it is irrelevant for the situation.

You're talking about a watch, what was the point of asking him/her about their UG background?? Idk. If their major was in watch studies then I apologize. :mrgreen:
I wish my major was watch studies.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”