157 diagnostic, advice for 165+?

barcafan202

157 diagnostic, advice for 165+?

Postby barcafan202 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Made an account just for some tips on how to go about studying. Any help would be appreciated!

Took my first timed practice test yesterday and got a 157, Not upset about it but not too happy.

I'm taking the December LSAT and I need a ~165 to have a solid shot at all my school choices. However, I am in need of the scholarship money so I'm willing to work for a 170+. At the moment, I have the most recent 30 PT's and the logic game bible but I haven't touched any of them yet.

My main weaknesses:

1) I got -9 on LG but that's because I didn't get to finish the last 2 games and ended up guessing. I didn't have a solid approach to drawing diagrams/visualizing the games so I improvised and tried to picture things mentally. This was my weakest section but I can see myself potentially getting -2/-1 if I figure out a formula for each question type. Is the LG bible sufficient to master this section?

2) Logic reasoning were by far my best sections but I found myself running out of time at the last 5 questions. My accuracy is good when I spend 1:30-2min on a question here but the timing is difficult, I would get caught up on a seemingly easy question and reread it 3-4 times which killed my flow. How do I manage time here?

3) RC wasn't difficult with the single passages but I found the 2 passage questions very overwhelming. Timing was again a major issue. I read the questions before the passages, is this a poor strategy?

No need to answer all questions, any input is helpful.

Pneumonia

Re: 157 diagnostic, advice for 165+?

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Just follow Pithypike's guide. Don't settle for less than a 170+.

viewtopic.php?t=41657

157 is a great place to start, but it doesn't mean anything different for what you should be doing to study. Good luck!

pricon

Postby pricon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Nine months, 400 hours, and $500. Enjoy the 175.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 pm

barcafan202 wrote:My main weaknesses:

1) I got -9 on LG but that's because I didn't get to finish the last 2 games and ended up guessing. I didn't have a solid approach to drawing diagrams/visualizing the games so I improvised and tried to picture things mentally. This was my weakest section but I can see myself potentially getting -2/-1 if I figure out a formula for each question type. Is the LG bible sufficient to master this section?

2) Logic reasoning were by far my best sections but I found myself running out of time at the last 5 questions. My accuracy is good when I spend 1:30-2min on a question here but the timing is difficult, I would get caught up on a seemingly easy question and reread it 3-4 times which killed my flow. How do I manage time here?

3) RC wasn't difficult with the single passages but I found the 2 passage questions very overwhelming. Timing was again a major issue. I read the questions before the passages, is this a poor strategy?

No need to answer all questions, any input is helpful.

First, you don't have any target schools because you don't have an LSAT. Your goal shouldn't be to get a particular score which is merely sufficient for a pre-selected list of schools you want to apply to, your goal is to score as high on the LSAT as possible, period. Get a 176 and then target HYS. You're not aiming for a 165, you're aiming for 175+ and to go to the best possible school for as cheap as possible. I'm being curt because this mind-set is very important not only for success on the LSAT, but for ensuring you don't pay $100,000 more for a degree than needed.

As for the LSAT:
Pick up the remaining 51 previous test, you're going to need them for practice.

Take tests 1-50ish and separate them into their individual sections. Make photo copies. Use these for drilling

Save tests 51-81 for PT's

Start by focusing on LG, Powerscore and https://www.youtube.com/user/7sagelsat/videos are pretty much all you'll need to go -0 on test day. For the first month of studying, go through the Powerscore book and do all the drills in the book. After you're through the books, take the LG sections from 1-40 and start doing these LG sections individually and UNTIMED. After each section, review the games via 7 sage. Once you start becoming proficient, start timing yourself. Again, review games afterwards with 7 sage. After a month of just doing LG, you'll have made seemingly miraculous improvement.

Month 2, start working on LR, read the LR Powerscore bible and do the in book drills. Continue to drill LG as described above. After you are through the LR bible, start incorporating LR sections every other day, alternating between LG and LR. Again, do them untimed. When good, start timing. Review, review, review. Check out: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/blog ... lanations/ for explanations on LR questions.

Month 3: repeat with RC.

Months 4-5 take timed PT's 2-3 times a week, reviewing like hell. Drill on days you aren't taking PT's.

This is a brief outline of what a study schedule would look like. Here's a google doc of my study schedule I used. Started at a 160 ended up with a 173. Also, check out the much more thorough and insightful guides stickied in this sub-forum

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sPV ... 6WevA/edit

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:25 am

Pneumonia wrote:Just follow Pithypike's guide. Don't settle for less than a 170+.

viewtopic.php?t=41657

157 is a great place to start, but it doesn't mean anything different for what you should be doing to study. Good luck!

Thank you, this is very helpful

Platopus wrote:
barcafan202 wrote:First, you don't have any target schools because you don't have an LSAT. Your goal shouldn't be to get a particular score which is merely sufficient for a pre-selected list of schools you want to apply to, your goal is to score as high on the LSAT as possible, period. Get a 176 and then target HYS. You're not aiming for a 165, you're aiming for 175+ and to go to the best possible school for as cheap as possible. I'm being curt because this mind-set is very important not only for success on the LSAT, but for ensuring you don't pay $100,000 more for a degree than needed.

As for the LSAT:

Thank you! This is great, I respect that mindset and agree completely that I shouldn't set my sights to the bare minimum. I'm going to have to condense your schedule to a little over 3 months but I think it should work well. The 7sage explanations for LG are invaluable so far. Side note, I can't find PT's 1-6. Is there no official book for them?

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:32 pm

barcafan202 wrote:
Thank you! This is great, I respect that mindset and agree completely that I shouldn't set my sights to the bare minimum. I'm going to have to condense your schedule to a little over 3 months but I think it should work well. The 7sage explanations for LG are invaluable so far. Side note, I can't find PT's 1-6. Is there no official book for them?

Not that I am aware of. I used the following to get my hands on the earliest PTs, since they are sorted by game, question and passage type for tests 1-20:

https://shop.powerscore.com/?action=pro ... 000015ulxj

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:47 am

After 2.5 months of studying, I've scored 163 and 164 for my last 2 PT's. Very happy with my progress and feel good about this december test, confident I can get to 167 or higher in a few weeks

the replies on this thread were helpful. the biggest thing holding me back now is the last game on each LG section. I score -0 every time I do a section untimed and then in the actual PT I struggle to understand the last one. Just did PT 72 and found the last game difficult

kiklavan

Postby kiklavan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 am

barcafan202 wrote:After 2.5 months of studying, I've scored 163 and 164 for my last 2 PT's. Very happy with my progress and feel good about this december test, confident I can get to 167 or higher in a few weeks

the replies on this thread were helpful. the biggest thing holding me back now is the last game on each LG section. I score -0 every time I do a section untimed and then in the actual PT I struggle to understand the last one. Just did PT 72 and found the last game difficult

PT 72’s last game is one of my least favorites if not my least favorite. I had an awful time visualizing the game board and understanding the rules the first time I took it. Don’t beat yourself up over it, games like that are uncommon.

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 pm

kiklavan wrote:PT 72’s last game is one of my least favorites if not my least favorite. I had an awful time visualizing the game board and understanding the rules the first time I took it. Don’t beat yourself up over it, games like that are uncommon.

glad I'm not alone! At first I thought it was an in-and-out game but that didn't work out. the only inference I made was that K <--> L could swap freely but the rest was strange. it reminded me of the very early game where you mix 4 colors of paint but this was its own beast

kiklavan

Postby kiklavan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:23 pm

barcafan202 wrote:
kiklavan wrote:PT 72’s last game is one of my least favorites if not my least favorite. I had an awful time visualizing the game board and understanding the rules the first time I took it. Don’t beat yourself up over it, games like that are uncommon.

glad I'm not alone! At first I thought it was an in-and-out game but that didn't work out. the only inference I made was that K <--> L could swap freely but the rest was strange. it reminded me of the very early game where you mix 4 colors of paint but this was its own beast

I spent a solid minute in disbelief of the game board I had created because it looked so foreign, and then I got so caught up in trying to figure out what variable could come after each variable that I entirely missed the MJ inference which literally unravels the whole game. :roll: If you haven't, you should watch the video on 7Sage. The core inference is that M always has to trade to J, thus precluding it from trading with anyone else and that's pretty much the game.

barcafan202

Postby barcafan202 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 pm

kiklavan wrote:I spent a solid minute in disbelief of the game board I had created because it looked so foreign, and then I got so caught up in trying to figure out what variable could come after each variable that I entirely missed the MJ inference which literally unravels the whole game. :roll: If you haven't, you should watch the video on 7Sage. The core inference is that M always has to trade to J, thus precluding it from trading with anyone else and that's pretty much the game.

I was in the exact same boat. I got to it with 13 min left and was sure it would be a breeze. I was too focused on "workpiece 1, 2, 3, 4" and my diagram became nonsense...I don't mind when a game depends on a single key inference but this felt too abstract for that, kind of cruel after a mostly doable PT. I guess that's why the scale for 72 seemed pretty forgiving

I'll check out the 7sage explanation, thanks

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”