9 month prep schedule

User avatar
vesuvius
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 am

9 month prep schedule

Postby vesuvius » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:42 am

All,

I plan on taking the June 2018 LSAT, retaking in September 2018 and then hopefully applying to law school during the fall 2018 cycle. So with hopes that I don't waste my time, I'm posting here seeking some advice on my study plan.

Sept 17 - June 18
I'll be a full time student from sept - may but I plan on studying several hours each day, and extensively on the weekends. I'll have all of May to do nothing but pre-test and study.
My plan is to read material from sept-nov(?) to include:
LG: PWS Bible & Master the LSAT
RC: PWS Bible & ?????
AR: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hurley) & PWS Bible.

I would really appreciate any material suggestions for any of the sections.

From Dec -Feb I plan to focus on the questions. Specifically question types, being able to identify variations and work through them etc. I'd like to pull questions from outside of PT's so I don't waste material. Open to suggestions here!

From March - June I plan to pre-test heavily and continue with material/focusing on the questions. In May I'll take a pre-test under test conditions each day.

For test 2 I'll revise and focus on my shortcomings in test 1.

Any advice, opinion, or throught you may have on my study plan would be greatly appreciated and welcomed! I hope to make the most of my time.

Best,
vesuvius

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2406
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 9 month prep schedule

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 am

vesuvius wrote:All,

I plan on taking the June 2018 LSAT, retaking in September 2018 and then hopefully applying to law school during the fall 2018 cycle. So with hopes that I don't waste my time, I'm posting here seeking some advice on my study plan.

Sept 17 - June 18
I'll be a full time student from sept - may but I plan on studying several hours each day, and extensively on the weekends. I'll have all of May to do nothing but pre-test and study.
My plan is to read material from sept-nov(?) to include:
LG: PWS Bible & Master the LSAT
RC: PWS Bible & ?????
AR: A Concise Introduction to Logic (Hurley) & PWS Bible.

I would really appreciate any material suggestions for any of the sections.

From Dec -Feb I plan to focus on the questions. Specifically question types, being able to identify variations and work through them etc. I'd like to pull questions from outside of PT's so I don't waste material. Open to suggestions here!

From March - June I plan to pre-test heavily and continue with material/focusing on the questions. In May I'll take a pre-test under test conditions each day.

For test 2 I'll revise and focus on my shortcomings in test 1.

Any advice, opinion, or throught you may have on my study plan would be greatly appreciated and welcomed! I hope to make the most of my time.

Best,
vesuvius


Hey!

First I'll start with some suggestions that I think you'll find helpful:

7Sage course
Manhattan LR
Manhattan RC
The LSAT Trainer

These are the materials/courses I've found most helpful. If you aren't interested in a full course, then I would at least suggest using 7Sage's free LG explanations and Analytics app.

Second, I'm not exactly sure you need to read "A Concise Introduction to Logic" in order to be good at games. I have a minor in Philosophy, and to be quite honest, the logic tested on the LSAT is far less complicated than what you'll be learning in that book. If you are interested in some reading outside of traditional LSAT specific books, then I would recommend "Intro to Logic" by Gensler. Again, I don't think either is necessary for doing well on this test. I can all but guarantee that your time will be better spent going through LG Bible/7Sage LG lessons and doing lots of games over and over.

I would also recommend that you begin doing questions, or drilling, as you are reading through the Bibles or whatever other prep materials you ultimately end up utilizing. If you just do the questions in the books, I'm not sure that will be enough to solidify and test what you are learning.

Also, don't worry about burning through the material. Just use the older PTs 1-40 to practice drilling and mastering the fundamentals. Maybe use 42-51 to take as timed sections and then 52-81 for full-length tests. Whatever you decide to do don't waste your time on anything but real official LSAT questions.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend taking a PT every day during your last month. You should probably aim to take 2 PTs a week towards your PT phase and Blind review afterward. Here's a link explaining what BR is: https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how- ... at-part-1/

BR'ing a test can take several hours depending on where you are scoring. However, even after you are done BR'ing you should leave ample time to return to prep materials to review lessons and to drill any specific weaknesses from your last PT before taking another one. So it would be prudent to leave 2-3 days minimum after each PT to properly BR.


Good luck!

User avatar
vesuvius
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:37 am

Re: 9 month prep schedule

Postby vesuvius » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:19 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:Hey!

First I'll start with some suggestions that I think you'll find helpful:

7Sage course
Manhattan LR
Manhattan RC
The LSAT Trainer

These are the materials/courses I've found most helpful. If you aren't interested in a full course, then I would at least suggest using 7Sage's free LG explanations and Analytics app.

Second, I'm not exactly sure you need to read "A Concise Introduction to Logic" in order to be good at games. I have a minor in Philosophy, and to be quite honest, the logic tested on the LSAT is far less complicated than what you'll be learning in that book. If you are interested in some reading outside of traditional LSAT specific books, then I would recommend "Intro to Logic" by Gensler. Again, I don't think either is necessary for doing well on this test. I can all but guarantee that your time will be better spent going through LG Bible/7Sage LG lessons and doing lots of games over and over.

I would also recommend that you begin doing questions, or drilling, as you are reading through the Bibles or whatever other prep materials you ultimately end up utilizing. If you just do the questions in the books, I'm not sure that will be enough to solidify and test what you are learning.

Also, don't worry about burning through the material. Just use the older PTs 1-40 to practice drilling and mastering the fundamentals. Maybe use 42-51 to take as timed sections and then 52-81 for full-length tests. Whatever you decide to do don't waste your time on anything but real official LSAT questions.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend taking a PT every day during your last month. You should probably aim to take 2 PTs a week towards your PT phase and Blind review afterward. Here's a link explaining what BR is: https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how- ... at-part-1/

BR'ing a test can take several hours depending on where you are scoring. However, even after you are done BR'ing you should leave ample time to return to prep materials to review lessons and to drill any specific weaknesses from your last PT before taking another one. So it would be prudent to leave 2-3 days minimum after each PT to properly BR.


Good luck!


Thank you so much for the response!

I plan to get a copy of the books you've listed and will further look into 7Sage as I've heard good things.

Your point about the logic books is much appreciated. I've read the Hurley book as part of a logic class I took at Uni, and was worried it didn't go as far into logic as would be needed for the LSAT. Nonetheless I will rejoice in not going through it again - I may checkout the Gensler book to refresh my memory or get a new perspective on some of the concepts.

So that I may drill the questions as I read, the bible's for example, would you recommend looking at PT problems concurrently?

I can definitely see the value in a PT method with a lot of emphasis on blind reviewing. The concept of BR is new to me but I look forward to it's fruits!

Best,
vesuvius

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2406
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: 9 month prep schedule

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:35 am

vesuvius wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:Hey!

First I'll start with some suggestions that I think you'll find helpful:

7Sage course
Manhattan LR
Manhattan RC
The LSAT Trainer

These are the materials/courses I've found most helpful. If you aren't interested in a full course, then I would at least suggest using 7Sage's free LG explanations and Analytics app.

Second, I'm not exactly sure you need to read "A Concise Introduction to Logic" in order to be good at games. I have a minor in Philosophy, and to be quite honest, the logic tested on the LSAT is far less complicated than what you'll be learning in that book. If you are interested in some reading outside of traditional LSAT specific books, then I would recommend "Intro to Logic" by Gensler. Again, I don't think either is necessary for doing well on this test. I can all but guarantee that your time will be better spent going through LG Bible/7Sage LG lessons and doing lots of games over and over.

I would also recommend that you begin doing questions, or drilling, as you are reading through the Bibles or whatever other prep materials you ultimately end up utilizing. If you just do the questions in the books, I'm not sure that will be enough to solidify and test what you are learning.

Also, don't worry about burning through the material. Just use the older PTs 1-40 to practice drilling and mastering the fundamentals. Maybe use 42-51 to take as timed sections and then 52-81 for full-length tests. Whatever you decide to do don't waste your time on anything but real official LSAT questions.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend taking a PT every day during your last month. You should probably aim to take 2 PTs a week towards your PT phase and Blind review afterward. Here's a link explaining what BR is: https://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how- ... at-part-1/

BR'ing a test can take several hours depending on where you are scoring. However, even after you are done BR'ing you should leave ample time to return to prep materials to review lessons and to drill any specific weaknesses from your last PT before taking another one. So it would be prudent to leave 2-3 days minimum after each PT to properly BR.


Good luck!


Thank you so much for the response!

I plan to get a copy of the books you've listed and will further look into 7Sage as I've heard good things.

Your point about the logic books is much appreciated. I've read the Hurley book as part of a logic class I took at Uni, and was worried it didn't go as far into logic as would be needed for the LSAT. Nonetheless I will rejoice in not going through it again - I may checkout the Gensler book to refresh my memory or get a new perspective on some of the concepts.

So that I may drill the questions as I read, the bible's for example, would you recommend looking at PT problems concurrently?

I can definitely see the value in a PT method with a lot of emphasis on blind reviewing. The concept of BR is new to me but I look forward to it's fruits!

Best,
vesuvius


No problem!

Yes, you can and should do questions from older PTs while reading the books and drilling. If you don't end up going with a course like 7Sage, you may want to invest in a Powerscore or Manhattan Questions By Type Workbook. I think it is very helpful to drill questions of the same type while learning them. It helps you to see the patterns and internalize the process by which to solve them correctly.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests