How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

User avatar
Will McAvoy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 pm

How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby Will McAvoy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Quick question, just messing around and curious because I don't have the time to take a full diagnostic right now. How representative would you say these reading passages and questions are of an actual LSAT?
https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/prep/reading-comprehension
I'll just say I ran through them and was surprised.

User avatar
GnarMarBinx
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby GnarMarBinx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

User avatar
Will McAvoy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby Will McAvoy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

Cool, thanks. I had a spare 20 minutes and I thought it seemed too easy. I'll be able to go all in on the prep after graduation in May.

User avatar
MercW07
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby MercW07 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 pm

The Roy Lichtenstein passage is from section 3 of PT 42 and the 3 questions that follow are questions 9, 10, and 13 from (obviously) the same PT and section.

User avatar
GnarMarBinx
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby GnarMarBinx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:56 am

Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

Cool, thanks. I had a spare 20 minutes and I thought it seemed too easy. I'll be able to go all in on the prep after graduation in May.


I'm not sure what you mean by "a spare 20 minutes." Have you done an actual section yet? If you have only read that web page then whatever you were timing yourself in completing will not be representative of an actual RC section.

User avatar
Will McAvoy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby Will McAvoy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

Cool, thanks. I had a spare 20 minutes and I thought it seemed too easy. I'll be able to go all in on the prep after graduation in May.


I'm not sure what you mean by "a spare 20 minutes." Have you done an actual section yet? If you have only read that web page then whatever you were timing yourself in completing will not be representative of an actual RC section.

Of course I don't expect to be able to extrapolate a score or anything from a truncated practice section. I really meant that I was bored/curious and used up a little free time running through that page. And it was much easier than I expected so I wanted to know if the questions had been cherrypicked or the passages shortened or something like that. Although I did time myself somewhat realistically for half a section.

User avatar
GnarMarBinx
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby GnarMarBinx » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

Cool, thanks. I had a spare 20 minutes and I thought it seemed too easy. I'll be able to go all in on the prep after graduation in May.


I'm not sure what you mean by "a spare 20 minutes." Have you done an actual section yet? If you have only read that web page then whatever you were timing yourself in completing will not be representative of an actual RC section.

Of course I don't expect to be able to extrapolate a score or anything from a truncated practice section. I really meant that I was bored/curious and used up a little free time running through that page. And it was much easier than I expected so I wanted to know if the questions had been cherrypicked or the passages shortened or something like that. Although I did time myself somewhat realistically for half a section.


OK, I see what you mean. In that case, it would not be representative because there are usually about 7 questions per passage (lowest five, and highest 8.) I would recommend trying a full section out on one of the newer tests. I am not doubting your ability and I actually hope that RC will be as easy as it seems from that page. However, you will be able to get a better representation of your abilities once you do a section.

User avatar
Will McAvoy
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby Will McAvoy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

Cool, thanks. I had a spare 20 minutes and I thought it seemed too easy. I'll be able to go all in on the prep after graduation in May.


I'm not sure what you mean by "a spare 20 minutes." Have you done an actual section yet? If you have only read that web page then whatever you were timing yourself in completing will not be representative of an actual RC section.

Of course I don't expect to be able to extrapolate a score or anything from a truncated practice section. I really meant that I was bored/curious and used up a little free time running through that page. And it was much easier than I expected so I wanted to know if the questions had been cherrypicked or the passages shortened or something like that. Although I did time myself somewhat realistically for half a section.


OK, I see what you mean. In that case, it would not be representative because there are usually about 7 questions per passage (lowest five, and highest 8.) I would recommend trying a full section out on one of the newer tests. I am not doubting your ability and I actually hope that RC will be as easy as it seems from that page. However, you will be able to get a better representation of your abilities once you do a section.

Thanks. I was able to squeeze in one of the Logical Reasoning sections from the free June 2007 test today, and I did pretty well I think. Might try the full Reading Comprehension section tomorrow. What exactly do you mean by newer? Is June 2007 too old to be representative? Probably won't bother with the Analytical Reasoning/Logic Games because I know I will absolutely bomb it. But I'll put in the time to get really good at it when I start studying for real.

User avatar
GnarMarBinx
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: How accurate/realistic are these RC practice questions?

Postby GnarMarBinx » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Will McAvoy wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:Fairly representative. I would suggest taking a diagnostic when you have time and figuring out how the section works with multiple passages, however. I and many others have found the newer RC sections to be much harder than older ones, so I would suggest taking a newer test, from 2011 or more recent. If you really don't have time for a full test, just take it and drill an RC section, a few LR questions from the middle/end of the section, and logic game three or 4. Those will likely give you some of the moderate to difficult questions from each section type.

Edit: you might also want to take RC passage 3 or 4, as they usually (but not always) get harder in difficulty as the section goes on. That's what I find, at least.

Cool, thanks. I had a spare 20 minutes and I thought it seemed too easy. I'll be able to go all in on the prep after graduation in May.


I'm not sure what you mean by "a spare 20 minutes." Have you done an actual section yet? If you have only read that web page then whatever you were timing yourself in completing will not be representative of an actual RC section.

Of course I don't expect to be able to extrapolate a score or anything from a truncated practice section. I really meant that I was bored/curious and used up a little free time running through that page. And it was much easier than I expected so I wanted to know if the questions had been cherrypicked or the passages shortened or something like that. Although I did time myself somewhat realistically for half a section.


OK, I see what you mean. In that case, it would not be representative because there are usually about 7 questions per passage (lowest five, and highest 8.) I would recommend trying a full section out on one of the newer tests. I am not doubting your ability and I actually hope that RC will be as easy as it seems from that page. However, you will be able to get a better representation of your abilities once you do a section.

Thanks. I was able to squeeze in one of the Logical Reasoning sections from the free June 2007 test today, and I did pretty well I think. Might try the full Reading Comprehension section tomorrow. What exactly do you mean by newer? Is June 2007 too old to be representative? Probably won't bother with the Analytical Reasoning/Logic Games because I know I will absolutely bomb it. But I'll put in the time to get really good at it when I start studying for real.


Great that the LR section went well! I would say that the June 2007 one may be slightly less representative (because I am pretty sure the ones past about 2012 are the hardest) but would still give you a good idea regarding how much time you will need to put into it as compared to the other sections. I think it has a comparative passage in it as well, which started fairly close to June 2007.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests