Score jumped wildly on one of my P.T.'s, fluke or did things just click because of the circumstances? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OlegPerry97

New

Score jumped wildly on one of my P.T.'s, fluke or did things just click because of the circumstances?

Post by OlegPerry97 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 pm

I have started from the very first P.T. exams and have slowly climbed into the low 160's-high 150's. However on my most recent P.T., #45, I scored a 168. I haven't scored close to this amount, and my misses per section weren't oddly dispersed, as well as the particular Q types that I have still been struggling with. The ONLY thing different about this exam than all the ones prior have to do with the conditions in which I took it. I usually like to simulate the exam day conditions by being well-rested and starting at 10 AM. This time however, I had a full day including a midterm at noon I had spent all morning studying for, writing 6 pages of a particular essay and by the time I was even thinking of taking a P.T. it was like 11 PM. I downed some coffee like an hour before, found a spot in the library and told myself I was going to just hammer through it. The exam felt like a breeze and I even finished with a decent amount of time left to spare on each section and I was nervous that I wasn't reading carefully. I have to say whenever I'm mentally fatigued but I have coffee, my critical thinking skills seem to reach its apex as I'm very short with people and find myself asking "what's your point" or "what does that have to do with it". I'm just wondering if maybe in my case that having less brain power taking the exam is actually a positive as I don't have enough energy to allow myself for abstract/unrelated thought.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Score jumped wildly on one of my P.T.'s, fluke or did things just click because of the circumstances?

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 am

Could be a real breakthrough or could be a total fluke. Or that particular test just played really well to your personal strengths and didn't exploit your weaknesses as much as other tests. This is why practicing blind review for every PT is so important, it makes you understand why you got questions wrong/right.

OlegPerry97

New

Re: Score jumped wildly on one of my P.T.'s, fluke or did things just click because of the circumstances?

Post by OlegPerry97 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Could be a real breakthrough or could be a total fluke. Or that particular test just played really well to your personal strengths and didn't exploit your weaknesses as much as other tests. This is why practicing blind review for every PT is so important, it makes you understand why you got questions wrong/right.
Got a 168 and 167 on my next 2 P.T.'s so it looks like it might not just be a fluke. My scores literally went from like 158 to 168, from what I've read this isn't normal at all.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 pm

OlegPerry97 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Could be a real breakthrough or could be a total fluke. Or that particular test just played really well to your personal strengths and didn't exploit your weaknesses as much as other tests. This is why practicing blind review for every PT is so important, it makes you understand why you got questions wrong/right.
Got a 168 and 167 on my next 2 P.T.'s so it looks like it might not just be a fluke. My scores literally went from like 158 to 168, from what I've read this isn't normal at all.
Something just clicked - good on you!

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:52 pm

OlegPerry97 wrote:
It might not be normal, but I had the exact same jump and then never scored below a 168. On the other hand, I had a fluke at 178 that never again saw the light of day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”